CoinPeople.com

a first gold coin

henare

I've never specifically collected gold before ... but deep down i think i want to. maybe not on the same level as other parts of my collection ...

so i guess my question is "what are good 'starter' gold coins?" not particularly expensive or difficult to get in good condition, something attractive, and not so small that you'd need a magnifier to see the design elements.

go!

I would follow Dave's advice on the $5's, the $20's are a large chunk of gold for a beginner...

World gold coins commonly found a little over spot - my personal favourites (note: i'm a bit biased against restrikes, coins over 1/2 Oz. and any gold coins minted after 1945):

UK - 1 and 1/2 Sovereign (i prefer "young head" Victoria coins).

France - Later 20 francs "Angels" (easier to find UNC) and earlier "Roosters" (not restrikes).

Netherlands - 10 Gulden "Wilhelmina" (1st and 4th Type in particular).

Belgium - 20 Francs "Leos"

Denmark - 10 Kroner "Mermaid" (The 20 Kroner of this type carries some premium) and 20 Kroner "Christian".

Italy - 20 Lire (i prefer VE II coins)

Switzerland - 20 and 10 Francs (I like the "Vrenelli" design better than the "Helvetia" one)

Russia - 5 Roubles (Nicolai II)

Germany - 20 Marks (Prussia)

Turkey - 100 Piastres (Ottoman Empire)

Hungary - 20 Francs/8 Florins (i know most people prefer the later 20/10 Korona designs, but i really hate good ol'Francis "I'm a pompous a-hole" pose)

Tunisia - 20 Francs

Peru - 1 Pound (Earlier dates aren't more expensive than later ones and have more "history" in it)

Chile - 50 Pesos (1926 only for some odd reason)

Colombia - 5 Pesos (Early 20's design only)

Mexico - 20 Pesos (Original years)

A dozen of the above coins would be a nice collection IMHO...

Jose :ninja:

I would follow Dave's advice on the $5's, the $20's are a large chunk of gold for a beginner...

World gold coins commonly found a little over spot - my personal favourites (note: i'm a bit biased against restrikes, coins over 1/2 Oz. and any gold coins minted after 1945):

UK - 1 and 1/2 Sovereign (i prefer "young head" Victoria coins).

France - Later 20 francs "Angels" (easier to find UNC) and earlier "Roosters" (not restrikes).

Netherlands - 10 Gulden "Wilhelmina" (1st and 4th Type in particular).

Belgium - 20 Francs "Leos"

Denmark - 10 Kroner "Mermaid" (The 20 Kroner of this type carries some premium) and 20 Kroner "Christian".

Italy - 20 Lire (i prefer VE II coins)

Switzerland - 20 and 10 Francs (I like the "Vrenelli" design better than the "Helvetia" one)

Russia - 5 Roubles (Nicolai II)

Germany - 20 Marks (Prussia)

Turkey - 100 Piastres (Ottoman Empire)

Hungary - 20 Francs/8 Florins (i know most people prefer the later 20/10 Korona designs, but i really hate good ol'Francis "I'm a pompous a-hole" pose)

Tunisia - 20 Francs

Peru - 1 Pound (Earlier dates aren't more expensive than later ones and have more "history" in it)

Chile - 50 Pesos (1926 only for some odd reason)

Colombia - 5 Pesos (Early 20's design only)

Mexico - 20 Pesos (Original years)

A dozen of the above coins would be a nice collection IMHO...

Jose :ninja:

On the UK sovereigns, I would recommend checking lots of them if a dealer has rolls of them etc, know your mintmarks, I have picked up Australian, Indian, South African, and Canadian sovereigns just by knowing the mintmarks which are on the base of St. George slaying the Dragon.

I love the roosters, I call them Mariannes because obviously she is my favourite side of the coin.

Russia 10 Rubles used to be economical, but not anymore. 7.5 and 15 Rubles coins are ridiculous now.

Watch for German states other than Prussia, I have purchased Saxony, Bavaria, at not too much over melt. But know your dates, denominations and mintmarks because there are forgeries out there.

With Mexican coins, the 10 and 20 Pesos are real coins, the 2, and 2.5 peso coins are novelties and I don't care for them. I love the 50 Peso, especially in BU, and dated in the 1920's but they have 1.2067 oz of gold so they are pricey.

For difference, look also into Iranian Pahlavis from the Shah's era, and also Saudi Arabian Pounds, both of which I have bought at maybe 5% over melt in the past.

I would also consider the current offerings of US Gold. Most series can be found with only a slight premium over melt. Of course that's for a common date/mm EF example. I'd personally start with a $5 Indian. I love the incuse design.

It's amazing how cheap 19th century (early for that fact) gold can be had. Just barely above spot price at times in EF condition. Not a lot of world gold collectors for that time I guess.

On the UK sovereigns, I would recommend checking lots of them if a dealer has rolls of them etc, know your mintmarks, I have picked up Australian, Indian, South African, and Canadian sovereigns just by knowing the mintmarks which are on the base of St. George slaying the Dragon.

I love the roosters, I call them Mariannes because obviously she is my favourite side of the coin.

Russia 10 Rubles used to be economical, but not anymore. 7.5 and 15 Rubles coins are ridiculous now.

Watch for German states other than Prussia, I have purchased Saxony, Bavaria, at not too much over melt. But know your dates, denominations and mintmarks because there are forgeries out there.

With Mexican coins, the 10 and 20 Pesos are real coins, the 2, and 2.5 peso coins are novelties and I don't care for them. I love the 50 Peso, especially in BU, and dated in the 1920's but they have 1.2067 oz of gold so they are pricey.

For difference, look also into Iranian Pahlavis from the Shah's era, and also Saudi Arabian Pounds, both of which I have bought at maybe 5% over melt in the past.

Good advice on the sovereigns, i still hold a BU 1919C i've found in a lot (over here around 2/3 of George V sovs. are "SA").

Yes, i remember 10 Rub. coins just a few Euro over sovs., those were the days..., i've sold the two i had but fortunately kept the 7.5 Rub.

"...I have purchased Saxony, Bavaria, at not too much over melt..."

Also Wurtemberg and Hamburg but now that's another "good old days" statement i'm afraid. :ninja:

Pahlavis are nice but when it comes to price the earlier "script" ones went "russian"... ;)

Actually i'm not a great fan of gold coins, the problem is that mints would try to have the best designs possible on them to boost a country's prestige, and now we (collectors) have a lot of great designs on coins that simply aren't cheap.

Jose ;)

• 2 weeks later...

My first gold coin was one of the modern US eagle bullion coins. My first real gold coin was also Prussian gold.

It is amazing how many nice old common gold coins can be purchased with little added collector value. I have built a small type set of the more common ones of the 19th-20th century for little over melt. And most can usually be found in high grades too.

Hi!

I personally like "gold of the world" soverign size. They're reasonable in price and interesting. If you find a country you like you might expand the collection to to several pieces both larger and smaller.

I like to link them by Continents and will eventually create a board for them shaped as that continent.

Hope this helps...

Barb

Archived