CoinPeople.com

Oregon Trail Comemmorative Half Dollar NEWP

AuldFartte

Picked this up at the local coin show yesterday. It's my favorite US comemm. design :ninja:

PCGS MS-64

916904.jpg

Thanks guys :ninja:

The same seller had one that was a PCGS MS-66 with subdued toning, not the rainbow stuff you find on Morgans, but he wanted an arm and a leg for the darned thing, so I had to pass ;)

*sigh* Maybe next year.

Picked this up at the local coin show yesterday. It's my favorite US comemm. design :ninja:

PCGS MS-64

I have to agree about the type -- a favorite, if not the best comm design ever.

I can't imagine anything nicer than the one you bought. I can sometimes see the difference in grades and understand the price difference. At other times, I can't understand paying for a number on a grading tag. It looks to me like you got a fantastic coin.

Thanks guys :ninja:

The same seller had one that was a PCGS MS-66 with subdued toning, not the rainbow stuff you find on Morgans, but he wanted an arm and a leg for the darned thing, so I had to pass ;)

*sigh* Maybe next year.

I'm glad that it isn't just me that has a thing for Oregon's. I've got a few of them now, but still a long way to go before i'm going to be happy with my lot.

Here's one of my 1926 Oregons. The poor scanner I use ensured that it didn't come across as good as your one but it's actually pretty much the same grade.

912468.jpg

This one is a 1934D with nice (IMHO that is) grey and rose coloured toning to it, making it look like a late evening picture in comparison to the 1926S. There is also `trippling' to some of the lettering (machine or hub....i'm not sure) but you can't see it in these images.

912467.jpg

I remember seeing what for me was the holy grail in Oregon commem $1/2's. It was toned on the reverse in such a way that the sun was deep reds, yellows and gold. Made it look as if the wagon was heading off into the sunset. As I recall, the seller only wanted $1,000 for it....seven years or so ago (sigh) :-(

Ian

Nice Oregons, Ian :ninja:

That toner you mentioned would probably sell for 10 or 20 times that amount now.

Archived