CoinPeople.com

The 2007 UK Commemorative Coins

tabbs

Four commemorative coins will be issued next year, according to this BBC article:

* Centenary of the scouting movement (50p)

* 200 years abolition of slavery (£2)

* 300th anniversary of the 1707 Acts of Union (£2)

* Queen and Prince Philip's diamond wedding (£5)

Christian

Oh don't forget that the sky is blue, i dunno how they missed that great event.

Do I sense that you're not in agreement with this program? :ninja:

Yeah the Act of Union is a touchy subject, Scottish Independence supporters might not like it.

The question is though is the 300th really a cause for celebration? Wow 300, i could understand 50, 100, 250, 500 or 1000. But we'll be celebrating 340th anniversaries next.

I don't particularly thing a diamond wedding qualifies either. As for the 50p well how forced could you get?

Slavery abolishion is about the only one i think worth celebrating there, but i don't think a coin is the right place, i think a stamp would be better.

:ninja: It is getting to be a bit much, isn't it ??? :lol:

Well to be honest Auldfartte you only have to look at the £2 coin to see what's happening, it started out as one commem every so often, which became 1 a year, which is now moving to near on 2 a year!

A commem 50p every year, a commem £5 coin every year.

It'll soon be the case that there are more commems in circulation than normal coins. Now i'm not too jaded about the odd commem every now and again, but i think having four commems every year is verging on the ridiculous. The whole point of a commem is that it's supposed to be 'special', issuing them left right and centre kinda defeats the principle of the thing. There's such a thing as supply and demand, keep the public hungry for commems and you'll do well, flood the public with choices left right and centre and the stamp phenomenon might just bite into numismatics.

The mint are going to shoot themselves in the foot with this.

• 4 months later...

The Royal Mint already sells the 2007 coins. :ninja: Just ordered a set; the "Act of Union" coin looks a little too symbolic IMO, and I have not seen any images of the "Abolition Of The Slave Trade" piece yet. The £1 coin features the Gateshead Millennium Bridge. That one I like.

D07E_3.JPG

(More detailed images at the mint's web site)

Christian

The Royal Mint already sells the 2007 coins. :ninja: Just ordered a set; the "Act of Union" coin looks a little too symbolic IMO, and I have not seen any images of the "Abolition Of The Slave Trade" piece yet. The £1 coin features the Gateshead Millennium Bridge. That one I like.

D07E_3.JPG

(More detailed images at the mint's web site)

Christian

I like them, they look better than 2006's especially the 50p coins

BTW has anybody seen the 50p commemoratives or the Irish £1 in circulation yet, so far this year I have seen 2006 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p (got first one last week) & both Brunel £2's, No 50p's or £1's as of yet

:ninja::hysterical:;) That still cracks me up !!!

they look better than 2006's especially the 50p coins

The 50p looks nice, and also the £5 with the rose window from Westminster Abbey. But then again, the £5 coin will be hard to find in circulation, I suppose. The £1, with the bridge in Newcastle/Gateshead, is IMO the best one among the 2007 designs that I have seen so far.

(Maybe some Pacific island can issue a gimmick version of that piece, with the bridge that can be moved/opened like the real one. :ninja: )

Christian

I must be one of the few people on here then that likes the modern coins & collects them as well ;)

You are certainly not the only one. But elsewhere Hussulo mentioned the long tradition of British coinage, and I think that does indeed fascinate many collectors. Nowadays, well, the mint makes 50p, £1 and £2 coins with new designs at least once a year, and probably not in order to make everyday cash payments more interesting ... Collectors can order them from the mint's website long before the pieces actually hit the streets, which they do to a limited extent only anyway.

Somebody who collects circulation coins "only", but covers a timespan of several centuries, simply has a somewhat different approach and may find most modern pieces dull. Maybe because of the designs, maybe because of coins that are made only because there are people who will buy them. But heck, it's a hobby, and we all collect what we (can afford and) like. :ninja:

Christian

Don't forget that, no matter what the commemoration, in 2000 years they will all be collectable :ninja:

Excellent point. Perhaps I should quit knocking moderns ... ;)

The "Abolition of the Slave Trade" coin can now be viewed at the mint's website.

UKASTBP_3.JPG

I am not exactly thrilled by the design. Would look good on a poster, for example, but for a coin ... Well, such "abstract" occasions are almost always more difficult for a designer than a coin that commemorates a person.

Christian

The "Abolition of the Slave Trade" coin can now be viewed at the mint's website.

UKASTBP_3.JPG

I am not exactly thrilled by the design. Would look good on a poster, for example, but for a coin ... Well, such "abstract" occasions are almost always more difficult for a designer than a coin that commemorates a person.

Christian

Hmm, the most interesting thing about this coin is the fact that the "TWO POUNDS" tag is on the front.

I know it's difficult to thing of a tasteful design in regards to senstive subject such as slavery but surely a pattern of sorts could have been in the background.

Thank good for the 300th anniversary of the Scotland / England £2 coin. This is the most dissapointing design since the 250th anniversary of the publication of Samuel Johnson's Dictionary of the English Language design (another design which although as full, was rather dull, surely a portrait of Samuel Johnson would have being a much better design?)

Also has anyone seen the WWII 50p coins in circulation yet?

Archived