CoinPeople.com

re-submission to TPG: crack our or leave alone?

Doogy

I got a pretty good deal on a nice Morgan (shown here), but want to get it re-certified by ANACS or NGC. I know they offer crossover grading, where you leave it slabbed and if it meets or exceeds the stated grade, they'll crack it out and re-slab it. Frankly, i'll be happy if this coin meets MS65 by ANACS or NGC, so maybe I should crack it out myself and send it in. I like the coin and want a more legimate grade on it, from a more well known TPG. thoughts?

61665.jpg

61665r.jpg

thanks!

Doug

Crack it out. I believe that would guarantee you a non-biased grade.

NGC or ANACS are good choices, so is PCGS.

The top three TPG's don't body bag coins for dipping. They will for cleaning or surface altering but dipping is widely accepted in todays market. Infact it's running rampant to the disdain of some (myself included).

From the photos your coin looks very nice. I've had no experience with NNC so can't really comment on them other than I know they are not one of the top 3. If I were submitting that coin to PCGS, NGC or ANACS it would definitely be going in raw as I wouldn't want the current plastic to prejudice anyone there (they say this doesn't happen but I still wouldn't take the chance). The slab that it is currently in adds zero premium to the coin. It could quite possibly even take value away as many would be immediately suspicious and avoid the coin.

Cracking it out is a win/win situation. You know for a fact the graders won't be influence by the NNC plastic and if you decide not to slab it and sell it you'll probably get more money with a raw coin, good photos and honest description than you would in the NNC slab.

What ever route you go, let us know when all is said and done :ninja:

The top three TPG's don't body bag coins for dipping.  They will for cleaning or surface altering but dipping is widely accepted in todays market.  Infact it's running rampant to the disdain of some (myself included). 

From the photos your coin looks very nice.  I've had no experience with NNC so can't really comment on them other than I know they are not one of the top 3.  If I were submitting that coin to PCGS, NGC or ANACS it would definitely be going in raw as I wouldn't want the current plastic to prejudice anyone there (they say this doesn't happen but I still wouldn't take the chance).  The slab that it is currently in adds zero premium to the coin.  It could quite possibly even take value away as many would be immediately suspicious and avoid the coin. 

Cracking it out is a win/win situation.  You know for a fact the graders won't be influence by the NNC plastic and if you decide not to slab it and sell it you'll probably get more money with a raw coin, good photos and honest description than you would in the NNC slab.

What ever route you go, let us know when all is said and done :ninja:

thanks to everyone for your comments. After hearing your advice, I will indeed crack it out and send it in to ANACS. I have some other coins going to ANACS, so it will be easy enough to do. It is a nice looking coin, i'm just looking forward to getting it in a "real" slab. thanks again!

Doug

I wouldn't send it in the slab. They say it won't influence the grading....If that's true then my grandma owns PCGS.

Crack it but be careful not to scratch the coin. And for God's sake wear eye protection!

I think you got your answer and I think you already know NNC is a third tier slab. Your only hope of getting the coin in an NGC or ANACS slab is to crack it out.

Hard to tell from the pics but don't be surprised if the coin is actually much lower than MS-66.

I don't know if the pictures are washed out or not.... but from these pictures it does have that "dipped" color. But without the coin in hand who really knows.... if I ever get slabs in those particular holders....they are no longer in them shortly after they are purchased. That's just my 2 cent piece..

I got a pretty good deal on a nice Morgan (shown here), but want to get it re-certified by ANACS or NGC.  I know they offer crossover grading, where you leave it slabbed and if it meets or exceeds the stated grade, they'll crack it out and re-slab it.  Frankly, i'll be happy if this coin meets MS65 by ANACS or NGC, so maybe I should crack it out myself and send it in.  I like the coin and want a more legimate grade on it, from a more well known TPG.  thoughts?

61665.jpg

61665r.jpg

thanks!

Doug

Look at this from a happy ANACS customer. I do not know if I can believe it, but if it is true, than take care when using them.

Ok first time ever coin submission sent to anacs to try them out.

Sent in a proof silver set of 2005 11 coin back in mid march and just got them back today. After floating around in their facility for two months over half came back under PF65 with heavy damage and not a single coin over PF68. I carefully packed each and every coin individually and inspected for damage prior to being sent. I even heavilly padded the box in layers taping each coin flip to the layers of foam padding. So now $150+ down the drain due to incompetence of ANACS, they even had the nerve to send me free submissions because they were so far behind. Sorry ANACS NEVER AGAIN (LESSON LEARNED) use only NGC or PCGS at least they won't play hockey with your coins or something to that effect.

The top three TPG's don't body bag coins for dipping.  They will for cleaning or surface altering but dipping is widely accepted in todays market.  Infact it's running rampant to the disdain of some (myself included). 

Hey, Rich, tell us what you REALLY think! :ninja:

By the way, Welcome to the insanity here.

Jim

That may be true but they used to go no higher than MS62 if the luster was impaired due to the dipping. Has that changed? Even if it has I doubt they'd give a 65 or higher to anything without full luster. At least not for another five years :ninja:

That may be true but they used to go no higher than MS62 if the luster was impaired due to the dipping.  Has that changed?  Even if it has I doubt they'd give a 65 or higher to anything without full luster.  At least not for another five years :ninja:

Oh???? Just one example of many. This was actually a very nice coin prior to Heritage convincing the consignor to dip and slab for the auction. The sad part (IMO) is that it did result in an increase of about 3X over what it would have received without the number on it.

Disclaimer: This is not my coin. I did, however, view it both before and after its slabbing.

1811 half...MS66

Edited to add:

Heritage's discription states that the luster is "unperturbed". It is very perturbed.

Hey Jim! It's good to see a familiar face around here (or should I say familiar icon).

Back to the topic at hand. If the dip job is done skillfully the luster won't be affected. I've seen many MS65+ coins in Top3 TPG slabs that were blatant dip jobs. That 1811 MS66 wasn't even that good of a dip, turned out looking pretty doggy if you ask me.

How toned was it before it was it dipped. I can see a lightly toned coin getting dipped fast enough to leave the full luster in tact. Though, since you saw the coin that is obviously not the case. There's more and more cases about TGPs getting less strict in all sort of manners.

How toned was it before it was it dipped.  I can see a lightly toned coin getting dipped fast enough to leave the full luster in tact. Though, since you saw  the coin that is obviously not the case.  There's more and more cases about TGPs getting less strict in all sort of manners.

Overall, it was about the color that the stars are now. Admittedly, this is too dark a look for many collectors and was the reasoning behind the dip. My real problem with the dip (other than the messed with luster) is the fact that it upgraded by at least two points over what it would have graded--even with the luster breaks. (It also put the coin out of my price range. :ninja: )

Overall, it was about the color that the stars are now.  Admittedly, this is too dark a look for many collectors and was the reasoning behind the dip.  My real problem with the dip (other than the messed with luster) is the fact that it upgraded by at least two points over what it would have graded--even with the luster breaks.  (It also put the coin out of my price range. :ninja: )

I guess that's what they call markey grading.

Do the TPGs put out guides on what standards they use and change for market grading?

Archived