CoinPeople.com

Heritage Galleries for coin auctions

Doogy

Expensive, and even more so when you add in the buyers premium (bp - 15% I think), but all in all I like them. Have purchased a few nice coins from them,,, nice folks and communications,,, easy payment,,, nicely packed coins,,, timely shipping, etc..

It takes a LOT of looking at thier auctions, but I've even purchased 1 or 2 from them and then immediately listed them on ebay upon receipt. Came out pretty well ahead both times,, I think the net of both transactions was a free MS66 merc for me :ninja:

I've bought hundreds of coins from Heritage, both at auction (live and internet) as well as from their inventory, and I can't recall having any serious issues with them. They are probably one of the best if not the best numismatic auction houses.

They're nice to deal with but have had their share of problems. The coins are always as specified - as far as I know. A little expensive but quality stuff. Buyer's premium -- YUK!

Very good place to buy coins, professional and a huge selection. Just factor buyers premium into you rbid and all is well.

never used their auction, but I have bought from their Dallas location and had no bad issues with them. They have worked with me on various buying and selling deals and it has been a good experiance.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,

Capt-AWACS, Not all pilots are alcoholics, we don't go to meetings

They are my #1 source for coin purchases these days. I also consign items for sale and, for the most part, have done well with prices realized. My only complaint - the pictures on lower priced lots suck.

I haven't been able to score anything on Heritage yet.

I keep getting outbid :ninja:

Heritage Numismatic Auctions is the largest dollar volume auction house in the world.

They are bigger than Sotheby's.

They are bigger than Christie's.

They got that way one sale at a time. Even more than Microsoft, Heritage is a true market phenomenon. Unlike wheat, butter or orange juice -- or computers -- no one needs what they sell. Any individual anywhere on Earth can compete with them -- and thousands, perhaps millions, do.

Heritage employes about 100 people, give or take, including two different IT functions, as well as all the usual business people, in addition to numismatic cataloguers and other numismatic people.

"We do not cherrypick our customers," said Jim Stoutjesdyk.  "We buy the whole collection, not just the slabs, so we have all of this..."  He indicated a tub of what looked like foreign Mint sets. "We have tons of no-date Buffalo Nickels," he said. "A couple of times year, we hold a gallery auction. People come in for a few days or a week and look over the material and place bids and take it all away. They spend several thousand dollars or ten thousand or more and they leave with as much as they can."

Of course, Heritage Rare Coin Galleries became the largest numismatic auction firm in the world on something other than dateless Buffalo nickels.

from my review on Rec.Collecting.Coins.

See

Date: Tues, Nov 21 2000 12:00 am

Subject: Heritage Auctions Visit

Groups: rec.collecting.coins

Their permanent auction gallery is a nice tool. You can zoom in on their pictures so you know what you are getting.Some of their stuff goes for pretty high prices, but the 6 or 7 times I've won, I've been pretty happy.

• 3 months later...

I just started using Heritage a few days ago. They have a HUGE selection of auctions and "Buy Now" stuff. For the notes and coins I need, Heritage seems to be the only place where its readily available.

I do NOT like buying anything sight-unseen but Heritage has pictures of the lots. You can zoom in on them to a large degree and change the lighting so you can notice flaws and creases normal lighting hides.

I was outbid at the last minute for a few lots last night. Won one though :ninja: . Will see in a few days if its a quality buy.

The bids were way too high for some lots but great for others.

Anywho, I may be addicted. Let's see how I like them in a few months.

Heritage is tops on my list for auction houses.

Their "buy-now" items are almost always over-priced but that's more of a function of the consigner setting a price, not Heritage.

As mentioned above, the permanent auction archives are a valuable tool that no buyer of rare coins should do without. And the price is right - free!

As for the juice (buyer's premium) they add to your wins, if you just build that into your max bid then there's no problem.

They are the largest auction firm in the WORLD... bigger than Sotheby's ... bigger than Christie's ... and they got that way by satisfying one customer at a time. If you collect what they sell, you cannot go wrong.

Competition is what it is and there is always a better deal somewhere, but sight unseen, pig in a poke, Heritage is easy to do business with. No regrets.

They are the largest auction firm in the WORLD... bigger than Sotheby's ... bigger than Christie's ...  and they got that way by satisfying one customer at a time.  If you collect what they sell, you cannot go wrong.

Competition is what it is and there is always a better deal somewhere, but sight unseen, pig in a poke, Heritage is easy to do business with.  No regrets.

great, glad to hear it! I have only purchased on coin from Heritage since i started this thread sometime back, but plan on finding some more to bid on.

Doug

I just received my second win from Heritage since I started using them about 2 weeks go.

Its a handsome 1914 Barber 10c in AU 58. Nothing too special but hopefully the start of a gorgeous series. Well priced too. :ninja:

My first win was a 1923 Woods-White $1 Silver Cert.

Anywho, I'm very pleased with Heritage and am not as worried about their shipping practices because everything has arrived timely and in good shape.

• 2 weeks later...

I have purchased nearly half of my Type set collection from Heritage and give them a 95% satisfaction rating. As I live in the DFW metroplex, I pick up my lots rather than have them shipped. Only once was I a bit disappointed in a coin as it had a ding that was not mentioned in the description. The ding was much more noticable with the coin in hand than it was in the pictures. They would not take the coin back, but did offer to re-sell it with no consignor fee.

The website is quite user friendly, and the ability to zoom in close to view (almost) every lot is fantastic. As mentioned, their auction archives are extensive, a valuable tool to use for research and true value even if you decide to take your business elsewhere. I am not sure how much business one needs to do with Heritage to get this privilege, but they have sent me hardcopies of all of their auction catalogs for well over a year now.

Not mentioned yet is their free inventory feature. You can enter all of your coins there, with notes on purchase price, date purchased, etc., giving you ready access to the current wholesale value of your collection. It is an ideal summary for insurance or estate purposes.

I highly recommend Heritage, it is my favorite numismatic website.

Archived