CoinPeople.com

Mark's Mail

Mark Stilson

Not coins but a group of spoons. Got a 1893 Columbian coin, to match, just need a Pan Am.

From left to right.

1901 Pan Am Electricity Building

1893 Columbian Manufacturer's and Liberal Arts Building

1893 Columbian Women's Building

1893 Columbian Horticulture Building

Worlds Fair City

1937 Coronation King George VI & Queen Elizibeth

Scarab/Egyptian motif spoon (Maybe from around the time Howard Carter found the tomb?)

spoons.jpg

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, bulk silver at a premium price. But you know I had to get it.

Grateful Dead "Steal your face" skull logo It has a little gold toning around the edge, number 83 of 5000

I have got to get me one of those (he said, poking in belatedly). :ninja:

1559 Poland Half Groshen

984055.jpg

Ah, Just found out, got to change this from Poland to Lithuania. I saw it and just thought Poland with out thinking. Well, its my first Lithuanian coin.

Sigismund II August 1559 Lithuania half Groshen

Well, my safety incentive gift card from work coin. Been wanting a nice Barber for awhile.

1915 D Barber Quarter.

984081.jpg

I have thought about getting one of the knight's for awhile. And since the "How far back" was stuck. Now I'm kind of getting in to the older dated coins.

Again not a coin. A button, age and origin to be wondered about. Really could not pass up for 99 cents. No bidders on it and only put $1.50 as max so I figured no loss. European Lativa seller had a bunch of metal detector finds. I have it soaking now in distilled water to get some of the crud off. Believe it or not the stone is green. This is a picture as received. He had it listed as yellow. It is a little bit cleaner now then the pictures show. Battery went dead and to lazy to pick up some tonite. Good clarity. One fracture through about 1/3 of the stone. and one internal flaw. Approximately 2 carats. I am going to bring it in to the gem and mineral society Saturday to see if they can ID the stone. So far green gem stones, down to Tourmaline, Chrysoberyl, Tsavorite, Sapphire, Demantoid, Emerald (AKA green beryl), Peridot, Tourmaline, or maybe one I missed. (Maybe glass but if it is, its still old.)

b2.jpg

b1.jpg

Hopefully I'll get a coin I won Sunday, no one bid against me tomorrow. $4.00 including shipping. Not a big score but a nice one for the price. It made me think about collecting another series other then Morgan's.

Okay this is not the coin I'm waiting on. Nemisis coins or the post office seems to be a little slow.

From a local coin shop. (I can bring back if anyone spots a problem. )

Macedon, Alexander III, the Great, 336-323 BC, AR Tetradrachm Herakles head rt. in skin of Nemean lion/Zeus seated left, axe to right, Minted 245-215 BC? I am not sure on all the info on this one. It has what appears to be an axe on Zeus's right.

984462.jpg

It's been kind of aggravating trying to pin it down. There were so many mints and used through different rulers its seems hard to pin a date range. One of the on line books said the inscription on the reverse was changed at the Amphipolis mint (Their primary mint) in 326 bc if that is the case then it could be one made during his life time. But looking at other coins on line I think the book is off or out of date. I have been looking at hundreds of reverses even if the obverse does not match just to see if I could find one with the same style axe. But have not found it yet. Lambda sign over a torch seems to be the most common.

The 4$ one from Wildwinds made it.

Constantius II AE3, 337-361 A.D. Antioch OBVERSE: DN CONSTANTIVS PF AVG. diademed head right. REVERSE: VOT/XX/MVLT/XXX within wreath. Roman Votive vows for 20 years and repeated for 30 years 15mm - 1.7 grams

984631.jpg

I am going to be changing series for awhile. I may pick up the occasional ancient to modern coin. Just won't be a big purchase. But I'm going to try for a century set. The "How far back can we go" thread first made me think about it. But I'm going to try to get at least one "nice" coin for each century starting at 500 bc and going forward. Kind of a extended box of 20+. I have a feeling the middle section is going to be tough. (This is not the 300 ad coin. That is yet to be purchased.)

• 5 weeks later...

Not mail and not coins. I am late posting this. Some gold though. We went to North Carolina again a couple weeks back. Did one of the gold digs. The place we stayed at they do a group thing. Everybody who signs up uses the equipment they have ( high banker, trommel This year we were on the yellow trommel shown in the second link. (Not us) Any ways you work 4 hours each day Saturday and Sunday. They had two shifts. Then the gold is split up between all who worked. When we weren't working on the dig, We also got some dirt delivered to the bank of the creek and used a sluice box to go through it. All the gold we got from the sluice was ours, not split up. It may not look like much work but these pictures show people stopped. It is actually pretty hard work. I was shoveling about 4 front end loaders worth of dirt each 4 hour shift. Plus we went through 2 front end loaders worth of dirt sluicing. Almost had one of the guys on the trommel pass out. One woman on a high banker fell over from heat. Did not pass out but close. This is the place just north of the Bechtler Gold Coin Mint.

Since I goof around with rocks I was keeping an eye out for them. Everyone else is just looking for gold. Figured while I'm there might as well.

Anyways here is my "treasure"

From top left to right. Almandine Garnet, black tourmaline, another Almandine Garnet. Bottom our gold we got. North Carolina gold is normally 22 carat. We did not get it assayed or anything. Most of the gold in North Carolina is small stuff. Ground up over the rocks in the streams.

ncgarnetgoldtourm.jpg

I want all 5 of those. How much gold is in there? Have an idea?

The garnets look hexagonal. Do you think the crystal structure persists on that scale in those two or is it just the way you took the pic?

I love the penny. Cna't wait to find my first!

The bottle if full would be about a 1/4 ounce. Honestly a lot of work and I could have done better staying at home and just buy gold bullion. But I did still have fun and it was really nice up there. BTW how they do the split is kind of a double blind drawing. All the gold dust is split up evenly. Then larger pieces really can't be split up since that would drop value of any "pickers" (None of them very big) They are put in bottles numbered one through how many ever signed up for the dig. With the number one being the largest. Everyone who signed up name is put in a hat. Then one of the folks with the mine picks a name from the hat. (None of the people who work there are in on the dig.) When your name is called you come up and pick a number from a hat. The number you pick is the number vial you get. They had a side deal one of the vendors added of $10 worth of presidential dollars. I won that. Neat part of it was getting a mix of Philadelphia minted dollars.

Looking at the garnet there are fractures but it appears 2 maybe 3 stones about 4 - 5 carat cut could come out of each. The one on the right looks like a walnut. Two halves which should be able to split. And it does look like good crystal structure. Especially the one on the right.

The black tourmaline I think was just one someone dropped. They have a salted "gem mine" on the premise. To me its not native tourmaline. Most gem mines buy stuff from over seas and just add it to dirt for you to sift it. The garnets I know are native. When you work the trommel at the bottom the rocks get separated and tumble out the side to a wheel barrow you have catching it. I was keeping an eye on the stuff coming out and saw those.

BTW send me your address and you will have some Denver's coming your way.

• 3 months later...

Okay, right after looking at goals for the year. I drop by the coin shop and the have this.

988570.jpg

1883 Hawaiian Dollar

Oh well. Been wanting a Hawaiian for awhile.

Nice catch, Mark! :bthumbsup: I think the Hawaiian dollar is the toughest of all the 1883 Hawaiians to find in XF or above. I like the even, dark patina on it.