Mark's Mail

Mark Stilson

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which VAM is that morgan proof-like?

VAM 16 III2 5 - C3a (Very Far Date) (181) I-2 R-3

Obverse III2 5 - Date set much further right than normal.

Hate saying it, but this is the second one of those proof likes vam 16's I have. Should never go to the coin shop with out my book. And really I need to keep better notes on vams. I even have another vam 16 but not proof like but has a die clash also.

Next batch. The older circulated coins are ones passed down to me. A couple like the 1942 and 1939 I already have an example up. But the others I did not have the year or mint.

First the proofs.

1961 Proof Roosevelt Dime

998067.jpg

1981 S NGC Ultra Cameo PF69 Type 2 Dime

998068.jpg

Netherlands 25 cent

998060.jpg

1950 D franklin half dollar

998064.jpg

1952 franklin half dollar

998065.jpg

1954 franklin half dollar

998066.jpg

1939 Walking liberty half dollar

998061.jpg

1942 Walking liberty half dollar

998062.jpg

1944 Walking liberty half dollar

998063.jpg

More nice coins Mark. I really enjoy circulated Walking Liberties. It's one of those designs that shows better with some wear. (IMHO of course).

I just noticed I never added any of my Mercury dimes. So I'm going to start on them next. I don't have a lot of date/mint mark combinations. But have a lot of duplicates, so I'm just going to try to post 1 of each date/mint mark I do have. When we get moved I need to work on my camera set up. Maybe get a usb camera or at least a camera stand and set up the lighting better. I would like a usb camera and a usb microscope. That way I could have every thing set up and ready to take pictures. Just don't know how well the usb cameras work.

This is a metal detector find at a World War 1 Camp site. I found it near a trash pile from there. No idea what happened to it, but its in very rough shape. For the other finds see the first metal detector finds in the General Discussion forum. (Not much but I think it was interesting.)

998157.jpg

This is a metal detector find at a World War 1 Camp site. I found it near a trash pile from there. No idea what happened to it, but its in very rough shape. For the other finds see the first metal detector finds in the General Discussion forum. (Not much but I think it was interesting.)

998157.jpg

Looks like it had contact with some acid? :confus:

Don't think it was acid. Maybe electricity? Used as a fuse?

I think you're correct on that one.

• 2 weeks later...

Great find Mark. A Frankie and it looks to be in halfway decent shape too. Must have been very gentle soil. :grin:

Something I have been wanting for awhile. Krause Standard Catalog of World Coins 1601-Date 5-CD Bundle

Very nice. The CD version has got to be one of the most useful things they've created in a long time.

• 2 months later...

Went ahead and got the New Cherry Pickers guide. Just the Volume II. The franklin won't be listed but figured I'd like a before and after. It did get me looking at some of the other coins in my collection. (At least the pictures stored on my computer.) Several older pictures need to be retaken. I had saved as gifs and they don't have good resolution. One thing I don't care about the cpg. You would think it would mean its worth more. But a lot of them really don't have a premium. Or a very minimal one. You would think space would be better served by dumping a bunch of those and making one book instead of a volume I and Volume II. But then I guess they would not make as much off them.

• 2 months later...

Been a little while since I added any thing. I picked up another Texas Store token for my collection. Rube Sessions General Merchandise store $1.00 token. Wells Texas. Approximate date 1925-1940

1006364.jpg

Nice token Mark and from Texas too. :bthumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, have not gone through these and got individual pictures yet for omnicoin. Or done a good job of checking them yet. Picked these up at an estate sale. Done by one of the local companies. Just going through them I paid silver price plus a couple bucks for the whole lot, so even if there isn't any big coins still a decent deal. Some of the markings on the envelopes were wrong, like the ones marked Cuba 6 cents is actually a 20 centavo. Few other ones were off. The Cuban 1920 40 centavo is one of my favorites.Need to do some research to find out about the 20 centavos whether coarse or fine reeding. Probably coarse but might as well check.

coins1.jpg

coins.jpg

Okay, have not gone through these and got individual pictures yet for omnicoin. Or done a good job of checking them yet. Picked these up at an estate sale. Done by one of the local companies. Just going through them I paid silver price plus a couple bucks for the whole lot, so even if there isn't any big coins still a decent deal. Some of the markings on the envelopes were wrong, like the ones marked Cuba 6 cents is actually a 20 centavo. Few other ones were off. The Cuban 1920 40 centavo is one of my favorites.Need to do some research to find out about the 20 centavos whether coarse or fine reeding. Probably coarse but might as well check.

coins1.jpg

coins.jpg

Great find Mark. Can't wait to see the detailed shots. :bthumbsup: