CoinPeople.com

Mark's Mail

Mark Stilson

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of all of them. Not in this order I like the 2 6 pence especially the England is in great shape. The Chinese cash really tough times for the Emperor Xian Feng during his 10 year reign the Taiping Rebellion ,Nien Rebellion, Second Opium War, Battle of Palikao. Cuban 40 centavo, Austria 10 heller really nice condition and complex design. Italian 50 centesimi made of Stainless Steel but magnetic. They had two types non-magnetic and later magnetic. The Philippine coins helped firm up my collection from there. All in all turned up pretty nice pick up. On the most part decent coins, none cleaned, low end completed prices from ebay sales would total about 30$ over the I price paid. Admittedly some of the coins are barely worth postage. The 10 Cash is kind of a mystery on price. Krause shows it a lot higher then other other 10 cash around the same time, but sold ebay prices didn't reflect that. $30 for good in Krause $9 ebay. May have been someone getting a deal though. Not sure.

As a general rule of thumb, modern Chinese (NCLT and to a lesser extent, all milled coinage i.e. post-1889 in UNC) sells for multiples of KM, and cash coins sell for fractions of KM.

Mid grade circulated milled coinage generally is about the only stuff that pretty much sells for cat.

• 4 weeks later...

Been a while since I picked up a morgan. .

1881-CC VAM-6 Dash Under 8, Double 18, CC Tilted Left III23 – C3b (Dash Under 8, Double 18, CC Tilted Left) (178) I-2 R-4 Obverse III2 3 – Faint dash under right 8 wears away on late die stages. First 1 doubled on right side surface of shaft. First 8 doubled on surface at the top inside and bottom outside. Die marker – Horizontal thin line die impression on lower lip. Reverse C3b – CC Mint mark centered and tilted slightly to left. Die Marker – Thin horizontal die scratch under second tail feather from right. This one is late die state

1008911.jpg

I am having a real tough time with the close ups. I don't have the dual light set up at the new house. Need to get another clamp type lamp. So far can just barely make out the faint line under the second and the line from the tail feather show in the pics. I have not been able to get a decent pic of the line at the lip. So far I've taken about 40 shots to get these. One thing that doesn't help for clear reflection free shots is being slabbed. For awhile back at the old house I have the two lamps and some white paper reflector set up. Need to do something like that here. One of the things they don't mention is the slight polish line under the one. It shows up good on the last full shot of a coin they used at vamworld http://www.vamworld.com/1881-CC+VAM-6

1881tailline.jpg

1881dateline.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Picked up several coins at an estate sale. Tough picking. Even though I was there when it first opened. I had several other people at the same table picking up coins. The U.S. silver coins picked up for silver price and the foreign coins were 50 cents to a dollar. Some of them really aren't worth much if anything other then giving to the grandkids. Some though were silver. I have not photographed all of them yet. But here's what I have.

1888 Morgan

1010914.jpg

1901 O Morgan

1010915.jpg

1916 one penny

1010916.jpg

1933 1 kronor

1010917.jpg

1938 1 penny

1010918.jpg

1940 5 Ore

1010919.jpg

1942 5 Ore This one I need to look at a little more. Kind of looks like a die clash but doesn't match the reverse.

1010920.jpg

I may go back and see if any coins are left. They drop the price by at least half on the last day of the sale. So if any left I may be able to pick up the rest for a few bucks.

For your VAM set, what is the lowest grade you can stomach? i.e. if you see a VAM you need at one of these things but the coin is ugly, will you pick it up?

Some of them you have a tough time figuring out what they are at lower grades. But something like one of the big clashed dies I'd go as low as it takes if recognizable. After all passing up a coin you may get for 25 to 30 on a coin that is worth hundreds maybe thousands of dollars would be silly. All of the coins I've bought with the except one of the over dates were picked up at standard date/mint prices. Even the easy tail bar 1890 cc's I have were right at standard 1890 cc prices. And those are pretty easy to spot.

• 11 months later...

Okay the coins I picked up in Sweden. Also a few I had already taking pictures of but forgot to up load to omni.

First the forgotten coins.

1965 Netherlands 1 gulden

1021555.jpg

1964 Canada 25 cents

1021554.jpg

1947 U.K. half crown

1021553.jpg

Now for the coins I picked up in Sweden

1744 Swedish 2 or (Bargain bin freebie)

1021557.jpg

1802 Swedish half skilling (Bargain bin freebie)

1021558.jpg

1822 Swedish 1 skilling (Bargain bin freebie)

1021562.jpg

1819 Swedish 1 skilling (Bargain bin freebie)

1021561.jpg

1804 Swedish 1\6 riksdaler

1021559.jpg

1807 Swedish 1/6 riksdaler

1021560.jpg

1566 Swedish 16 or

1021556.jpg