CoinPeople.com

What did Trantor_3 get today?

Trantor_3

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW :lol:

After church service this afternoon, when the money was counted, a 1878 1 cent was found in VG-F condition. I'm trading it with the church for te appropriate amount of current money, which is a lot more than 1 cent....

That's a neat gift to the church. Everyone wins. :ninja:

910498.jpg

(borrowed pic from Mortyr2012)

and a note from the mail man that he tried to deliver something that I have to sign for reception, while I was not at home. the item is sent from within NL, I haven't got a clue what it might be :ninja:. I can pick it up at the post office tomorrow

That's a wonderful coin and a terrific prize. I've been thinking about bidding on one of those on ebay for my 2€ Commemorative collection. They're not that easy to find.  :ninja:

i haven't seen one of those on ebay in a while. i have a nightly search that runs ... and nothing. last one i saw was a few weeks ago--it sold with another for something like USD140!

i haven't seen one of those on ebay in a while.  i have a nightly search that runs ... and nothing.  last one i saw was a few weeks ago--it sold with another for something like USD140!

I'm bidding on one right now. Price is still rather low but it has some time to go. Take a look. Don't be shy about bidding on it. I'm just "bargain hunting" at the moment.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...AMEBI%3AIT&rd=1

I do have to agree with Tiffi that these are quite pricey and I'm not particularly happy about the idea that the Vatican and San Marino issue their coins with the intent of making them pricey and "rare".

Here's one with a Best Offer/Buy it now!

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2-EURO-VATICAN-200...1QQcmdZViewItem

I've dealt with this fellow before. He's very reliable.

I'm not particularly happy about the idea that the Vatican and San Marino issue their coins with the intent of making them pricey and "rare".

Well, you know that the three non-EU countries cannot have as many coins made as they want. Their volume issue is limited; San Marino, for example, has an annual contingent of about 2 million euro max, for all the coins it issues. Now of course MC/SM/VA could give all their coins away at face value, but why should they? The issuing country would make less money while the majority of the "end customers" would still have to pay much more than face. Just not to a numismatic office but to some third party vendor.

By the way, €100 for that World Youth Day coin, I don't know. http://www.silvas.de/Vatikan2.htm (based on ended eBay auctions). But who knows, there may be people who actually pay such prices. Others, even many euro collectors, simply do not collect them.

Christian

I think that I will leave the spot for the San Marino and Vatican euros when I create my 2€ Commemorative album. I may someday decide that it will be worth the price to have a "complete" set.

South Africa

1985 50 cents

911898.jpg

Nederlandse Antillen

1965 5 cent

909575.jpg not this one, borrowd image from Ikaros

1989 50 cent

911897.jpg

After looking up all the info on the square 5 cent design that was used in the Netherlands before WW2, in the Netherlands Antilles after WW2, I discovered there was also a 50 cents coin with similar design, but larger size and different composition (steel). I simply had to have one :ninja:

Art, to give you an idea of the size of it: it's exactly the same size as the hole in the 2x2 in which I sent you the 5 cent, it's a real tight fit.

And unlike the 5 cent coin, the 50 cent coin does have the mint mark and privy mark that are common on coins struck by the KNM, you can see them in the ring that says "NEDERLANDSE ANTILLEN" at either side of the stem of the orange branche.