CoinPeople.com

Anyone know anything about primitive coins?

elizabethann

Does anyone in here know anything about primitive coins? I had a friend send me what he said was primitive money from Africa, he called it a kissi penny, it was this long, thin twisted string of some metal, and he said that it was used in Africa as a trade currency, because it could be melted down and recast for tools. He also sent me a slave bracelet that he said was used for money too, and I wondered if anyone knew anything more about this kind of stuff. Also, he sent me this ?silk? chinese note with characters all over it that he said was issued during Mao's reign. If anyone has any ideas about this stuff, I would appreciate the input! THanks! :ninja:

Kissi pennies and slave braclets were in fact a form of money in some of the African cultures. I don't have much time right now, but I'll dig out some info that I have on primative money.

A couple of references:

A survey of primitive money; the beginning of currency, by A. Hingston Quiggin. Publisher New York, Barnes & Noble [1970]

Einzig, Paul

Primitive money in its ethnological, historical, and economic aspects.

Publisher Oxford, New York, Pergamon Press [1966]

"If the Kissie were broken the soul would escape and it would be valueless"

Man! You learn somehting new every day. Pretty cool info.

But they could be healed by a medicine man. I'm still looking. I have a whole presentation from an ANA seminar that covers primitive money. It was done by Dr. Brunner - a great job.

But they could be healed by a medicine man. I'm still looking. I have a whole presentation from an ANA seminar that covers primitive money. It was done by Dr. Brunner - a great job.

The medicine man welded them back together again. The Kissi pennies are something I have never owned.

I found my presentations from the ANA seminar. I have Lane Brunner's permission to share them, but I don't have a clue as to how I can do that here. They're MS PowerPoint Presentations. Any ideas?

Here's a link to the Primitive Money Presentation.

Some thanks are in order:

1) Dr. Lane Brunner, now with the ANA, for the use of his superb presentation.

2) Henare for getting this into the right formats and posting it on a website so we can all view it.

Thanks to both of you.

http://homepage.mac.com/henare/TradMoney.html

2) Henare for getting this into the right formats and posting it on a website so we can all view it.

Thanks to both of you.

Cool presentation thanks for getting that put up online. The only that stands out as missing was salt.

Thanks to both of you.

Life was cheap in Africa as compared to India, fine for murdering someone in Africa ranged from 3-7 cows, and in India 100 cows.

Life was cheap in Africa as compared to India, fine for murdering someone in Africa ranged from 3-7 cows, and in India 100 cows.

Maybe there were fewer cows in Africa. Also, murdering woman was always cheaper than men.

Cool presentation thanks for getting that put up online.  The only that stands out as missing was salt.

I missed that one. The one that struck me as being missing was canoe money.

A very interesting slide show none the less.

Maybe there were ewer cows in Africa.  Also, muering woman seemed to always be cheaper than men.

Oh, I can't resist. Restrain me ......... ;)

I know something about primitive money, but .........

what's a ewer cow or a muering woman? :ninja:

I'm so sorry! ;)

Oh, I can't resist.  Restrain me .........  ;)

I know something about primitive money, but .........

what's a ewer cow or a muering woman? :ninja:

I'm so sorry! ;)

Fixed :lol:

Archived