CoinPeople.com

Common Coins Can Be Scarce!!!

2coins

Yes!, The so-called common coins like Morgans(and other old coins) can be way scarce!! The many tons of these morgans are around, many in AU-MS-60 to 63, alittle higher are the 64 to 65 grades, now the trick is try to find any Morgan in MS-67,68,69!!!!Thats where the numbers drop very sharp in known populations right now., and yes you will pay for those grades. So,,, a common Morgan in MS-67 and higher are VERY SCARCE!!and makes that coin not so common any more, and you wont have any troubles selling the coin in the future, it will just keep goin up while the real common grades will stay fixed for many, many more years....... :ninja:

Sorry, grade rarity doesn't hold a lot of interest for me.  Common and affordable in 64 or 65 but extrmely rare and moon money in 67 and above?  I'll just take the 65 then, it will work jst fine and I'll have money for other coins.

I am with you 110%. :ninja:

Sorry, grade rarity doesn't hold a lot of interest for me.  Common and affordable in 64 or 65 but extrmely rare and moon money in 67 and above?  I'll just take the 65 then, it will work jst fine and I'll have money for other coins.

I could not express it better than that :ninja:

I buy into that mostly but not completely. There are coins that are just stunning and worth more than coins that are just wonderful. There are 67's that annihilate any 65. I'd definitely pay more but not so much more as is required.

On the whole conditions rarities do interest me a lot less than actually rare coins.

What he said. :ninja:

I feel the same as far as condition rarities...

If you had a choice between ONE 1949D Franklin Half in MS66FBL and a complete set of Franklin Halves in MS65, which would you choose.

Also, you'd have to pay about twice the price of the set for a 1962 MS66FBL and almost three times the price of the set for a 1963 in MS66FBL.

And I won't even mention the 1953S FBL coins.

Ben :ninja:

If you had a choice between ONE 1949D Franklin Half in MS66FBL and a complete set of Franklin Halves in MS65, which would you choose.

That's really the run isn't it? The affordability. But what of you have the money to buy the best. If you go to several shows and you find tha one perfect MS66FBL that blows your mind and you can afford it by all means buy it. People who just buy the coin based on grade without even looking at the coin are another matter.

I am a fan of quality over quantity.

When you look at a 67 or 68 graded coin, you will see quality at its best plain and simple., If you ever get one,you will be totaly spoiled. I think my self that if Iam gonna spend around $100.00 on a semi common Morgan and then see the same coin in 67 or 68 for a few hundred more, Ill jump at the higher grade.Like I said, those higher grades are real scarce,Look if you may on dealer sights, they are way hard to find, LOTS of 64=65s!! thats what makes that common Morgan way more desireable and WILL go-up in price and the coin will blow you away!!!just my opinion.... :ninja:;)

It can be possible. Taking the coinage of modern S. Korean coins, with the 500 won coin, one of the hughest blunder ever made by the mint was that in 1998 (If I am not wrong about the year), the Korean mint minted only 5000 (or 6000?) coins for overseas testing example and none of them was ever "circulated" in Korea. This was not noticed until years later when some year collectors realized that it was quite difficult / impossible to get hold of that year.

Hence, a grand price for that particular type of coin...

I don't think most of us around here are in that "scarce" income bracket.  :ninja:

Indeed. At our coin club meetings I feel like a beggar ;)

Whether you call it grade rarity, the greater fool syndrome, or buying high priced common coins, the simple fact is that it's just coin collecting. If someone is putting together a top notch set of Morgans is he to buy the rare key dates in MS-67 and the common ones in MS-60? Of course not! He'll probably want to do it differently and anyone who'd desire the keys in high grade will probably want the common coins in equal or even a little higher grades. At these levels of preservation the keys and semi-keys change.

This becomes far more dramatic if you are putting together a set of regular issue clads. Every single one of these coins can be found in circulation with a little effort. Put more effort into it and you can have a nice attractive set in F and better with many of the later dates (and some earlier ones) in nice attractive XF/AU. With the whole set available for less than $20 in circulation does this mean it would be foolish to spend hundreds for a chBU set? In this case the question becomes even more confused because a chBU set that cost so much will have dozens of ugly beat-up coins with horrid strikes that look worse and have less detail than the F that you can get in circulation for a quarter. If you pursue this set in higher grades in nice attractive condition then you'll pay a small premium on most issues and a very large premium on some issues. The simple fact is that these can be quite scarce not only in chGem and better but even in lower grades. Since they are scarce the multiples between grades can be high. You have to choose your poison no matter what you collect.

If you don't like grade premiums then there are many fascinating things you can collect with little or no grade premium and grade rarities can be picked up for next to nothing but this situation no longer exists for coins like Morgan dollars or clad quarters.

I don't really get what is the real fuzz over such "ultra high" grades.

There are some pretty "rich" nation that had poor economy in the past. For instance, Russia, Korea, Malaysia, and a few more other countries used to have pretty bad economy. It would be normal that coinages are heavily used and no one could have afforded to waste a penny. The only people that could have were foreigners who travelled into the country and saved some BU that were given from the money changers and brought back to their home countries. Such coins may be been brought out in other ways too. Those countries that I have mentioned are starting to go at fairly "unreasonable" rates these few years, but maybe the prices reflect how difficult it might be. Such common coins have served their purposes to circulate.

To some people, there might be some nostalagic feelings of how one might have used such BU coins for transactions and really missed seeing one for a long period of time. Perhaps it is this group that is willing to pay the most.

I most certainly not willing to pay way too much. Perhaps an aUNC might do the job, but definately not a full monster price of MS67+.

I don't really get what is the real fuzz over such "ultra high" grades.

There are some pretty "rich" nation that had poor economy in the past. For instance, Russia, Korea, Malaysia, and a few more other countries used to have pretty bad economy. It would be normal that coinages are heavily used and no one could have afforded to waste a penny. The only people that could have were foreigners who travelled into the country and saved some BU that were given from the money changers and brought back to their home countries. Such coins may be been brought out in other ways too. Those countries that I have mentioned are starting to go at fairly "unreasonable" rates these few years, but maybe the prices reflect how difficult it might be. Such common coins have served their purposes to circulate.

To some people, there might be some nostalagic feelings of how one might have used such BU coins for transactions and really missed seeing one for a long period of time. Perhaps it is this group that is willing to pay the most.

I most certainly not willing to pay way too much. Perhaps an aUNC might do the job, but definately not a full monster price of MS67+.

I collect the Russian cu/ ni in unc and find all of these to be very challenging. You're right that these are extremely tough to find in Russia and many letters to collectors there have just resulted in numerous dead ends. I don't need these in nice choice gem or even in choice condition, just nice solid uncs. It's the same with sales tax tokens; I collect these in unc and would upgrade when possible but am not willing to pay extra for a gem even if it's an issue that's rare in gem. Trade tokens are of the most interest to me when they are worn, though again, I would upgrade to an unc.

Clad quarters tend to be quite ugly. The design was intended to be struck in silver and doesn't often look good in cu/ ni. This is especially true since 99.9% of the coins are worn, 95% were poorly struck and most all were banged up before they left the mint. They form a fascinating series because they were ignored by collectors and allowed to circulate for generations. Many of the clad varieties have not even been mentioned in print yet and can only be found in circulation.

This is actually a very attractive and historic design and looks great on a well made and well preserved specimen. Finding such coins is a challenge and much of the reason that people seek them at all. After you look at a few thousand mint sets to find a nice 1969 quarter then you'll truly appreciate the beauty and scarcity of this coin in gem. After you see a spectacularly high relief PL common date then you can better appreciate the intent of the artist and the mint. Why wouldn't someone want a collection of such coins?

Again though, we each choose our own poison and you can collect what and how you like. But at the current time Morgans in very high grade command large prices and clad quarters in very high grade command large multiples. This is the result of the forces of supply and demand where supply is always fixed and suffering attrition and demand is the big variable.

All Iam trying to say is if your like me, and have limited money and have an eye for quality (not quanity),and are trying to put a nice type set together,with scarce mintage and eye appeal ect.., I would rather WAIT, and save the money and buy a great 67 Morgan with toneing or white that will please me and be worth something someday,not the run of the mill 64 ,65,63, Morgans that all the dealers are trying to sell. this goes for all my coins I collect for my type set,scarceity, eye appeal, toned, or blast white..To each there own, I am trying to get the POINT across that a COMMON MORGAN for $30.00 can be had in 67 or 68 for a few hundred!!! Thats all folks!, thats what makes that common scarce. :ninja:

This is the result of the forces of supply and demand where supply is always fixed and suffering attrition and demand is the big variable.

I don't mean to be technical, but that should be "total supply". Otherwise that would be suggesting that the supply (curve) is fixed, and there is an equal amount available on the market regardless of the price at the time.

Unless you have unlimited income, there is always going to be a line you don't cross.

A VG is 10 and an F is 50. A VF is 50 and an EF is 200. An MS65 is 100 and an MS66 is 1000. It is all the same really. Most people shoot for the best coin they can get in their budget range and their collection goals.

The key is to get that best coin that you can afford within your goals. Not all VGs are created equal nor VF's nor MS65s nor whatever. That is one of the biggest things I have learned.

... Not all VGs are created equal nor VF's nor MS65s nor whatever. That is one of the biggest things I have learned.

Can I get an AMEN?!

Looking at world coins -which I am after in my crown-like type set- I have seen lots of Uncs, AUs, XFs etc. (Remember with world coins those pesky 50s ,62s, 65s etc are most often left out of the equation)- And while the grade may hold true, one UNC is not the same as another UNC; there is strike, dings, scratches, slide rub, toning, spots, etc. etc.

Also , example...Bust half dollars are mostly meduim or light struck,to find a great hard strike in a common mintage coin is also a scarceity for a normaly commom coin, also a higher grade in that common date. Iam just trying to point-out a few things to look for for collectors in what would be a common coin......... :ninja:

Also ,  example...Bust half dollars are mostly meduim or light struck,to find a great hard strike in a common mintage coin is also a scarceity for a normaly commom coin, also a higher grade in that common date. Iam just trying to point-out a few things to look for for collectors in what would be a common coin......... :ninja:

I wouldn't disagree - seeing current world coinage of how the mints are pressured to mint crazy number of coins per second, unless the coins are in mint sets, quite a fair proportions of the coins are sadly made of budget quality. (except for a few countries)

Archived