CoinPeople.com

Camera roll call...............COIN PICTURES!

coinmonster

Wondering what kind of Camera everyone has for taking pictures of not just coins but maybe your childern or grandchildern, loved ones...............or whatever.

What kind of camera?

Would you buy it again?

Easy to use? Not enough features? To many features?

Do you make prints of your pictures? How do they turn out? Store prints or one of them things you can do it at home?

Things didn't work out with mine and I am gonna go get one tomorrow! I have NEVER owned a digital camera and have never been into taking pictures to be honest. But for some reason this has gotten my intrest up lately. I have no idea why..............well I do but this board doesn't have enough space for me to explain. :ninja:

I am mainly looking at 2 diffeent ones both by Canon:

1st..................S2 IS

2ND................Powershot G6

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;);):lol:

Mine is an Olympus C-770 UltraZoom. About $500 when I got it, but I wouldn't buy it again. I use it for a variety of photos, mostly coins, and it's a pretty good 4 MP camera, but I'd rather get a digital SLR like the Canon Digital Rebel or maybe one of thier pro-sumer models.

I have yet to print any pics, but I have a bunch of my coin photos on OmniCoin. I keep pics on my computer and have backups on CD's.

Make sure to get a sturdy tripod or copy stand for taking coin photos, and make sure the camera has excellent macro capabilities.

Mine is an Olympus C-770 UltraZoom. About $500 when I got it, but I wouldn't buy it again. I use it for a variety of photos, mostly coins, and it's a pretty good 4 MP camera, but I'd rather get a digital SLR like the Canon Digital Rebel or maybe one of thier pro-sumer models.

I have yet to print any pics, but I have a bunch of my coin photos on OmniCoin.  I keep pics on my computer and have backups on CD's.

Make sure to get a sturdy tripod or copy stand for taking coin photos, and make sure the camera has excellent macro capabilities.

Those Rebels are like around $1,000 aren't they? I know I looked at one of the newer ones with a package deal that came with some lenses that cost $1,300! I bet that thing can take some kick ass pics. :ninja:

I want something I can learn on but I don't want something so cheap that I would be disappointed with, know what I mean?

The digital is an Olympus C-3020 Zoom. It is the only digital camera I have ever used and it works well for coins. It isn't mine, so no, I wouldn't buy it again because I wouldn't buy one for myself in the first place. :ninja: It has a million features of which I never use. I do not print pictures, but store them to put up here or on Omnicoin.

As far as regular photography goes, I use an old Cannon AE-1 Program SLR and yes I have bought 3 of them in the last 15 years. It's old, isn't complicated, easy to use and takes great pictures. I have the film developed and prints made.

There you have it.

I have a Kodak DX7630. It takes great coin pictures through the eyepiece of my microscope. It has a close-up setting but I can't get it to focus on a coin close up, not sure why. I have been looking at Digital Rebels for a few years now and my break down and finally buy one sometime after Christmas.

Guest 50cents

A Fuji Fine Pix S5100 - I don't like it to much for the family action pics, still shots

are good - coin pics are ok. I would rate it a 7/10.I have

own better ones. :ninja:

Those Rebels are like around $1,000 aren't they? I know I looked at one of the newer ones with a package deal that came with some lenses that cost $1,300! I bet that thing can take some kick ass pics. :ninja:

I want something I can learn on but I don't want something so cheap that I would be disappointed with, know what I mean?

Yeah, they're pricey, but worth it, IMO. You might want to look on Ebay or other places for a good used Nikon Coolpix. I know several guys who use that camera for coin pics, and the results are not bad at all.

Wondering what kind of Camera everyone has for taking pictures of not just coins but maybe your childern or grandchildern, loved ones...............or whatever.

What kind of camera?

Canon PowerShot A95

Would you buy it again?

Yes

Easy to use?

Definitely

Not enough features? To many features?

More features that I use now, but I only have it like 3 months....

Do you make prints of your pictures? How do they turn out? Store prints or one of them things you can do it at home?

Haven't made any prints yet, will do so soon, using a store

I recently broke down and bought a Canon Ixus50. Compact, decent price, and easy to use. I have taken some coin pics with it also without doing anything special with lighting etc. Here is one. And here is a link to some close macro pics I took with it.

I recently broke down and bought a Canon Ixus50. Compact, decent price, and easy to use. I have taken some coin pics with it also without doing anything special with lighting etc. Here is one. And here is a link to some close macro pics I took with it.

Nice pics

:ninja:

What kind of camera?

Olympus C-4000Z. My second digital camera and it was purchased several years ago.

Would you buy it again?

I would recommend it, assuming it is still available. It had the best macro capabilities of any I looked into at the price, making it nice for coins. But, my next camera will be more advanced - probably a Digital Rebel or something comparable.

Easy to use? Not enough features? To many features?

It is both easy to use and and has plenty of features. Most digital cameras in its price range have a ton of manipulations that can be very daunting to a casual user. This one, like many others also has several presets as well as custom presets. These are easily selectable configurations of all the settings for specific kinds of pictures (inside, outside sunny, etc..).

I have made prints on my own printer and they have turned out great. It can be a little cumbersome, however, so I have also had prints made via an online service (ophoto.com, now called KodakGallery.com). They look great and are very easy to order. I have also had calendars made from my prints and other items (getting ready to have a cup made with a nice ancient on it). I do still use my home color printer for special jobs like custom greeting cards.

Best advice I would give to a shopper is to learn about some of the basic digical camera characteristics, such as focal length, macro capability, resolution et al., and then hit the quality online sites, such as DPreview.com. They will allow you to make some head-to-head comparisons as well as look at some user reviews.

I use a Nikon D100. I would buy it again in a second. It is a DSLR and is complex as a result, but has every feature anyone except a professional photographer would need as it is a mid-level DSLR. I make prints at home and at the photmat and also have a website. FWIW, I've been into digital photography longer than I've been actively collecting coins.

medium.jpgmedium.jpg

medium.jpgmedium.jpg

medium.jpgmedium.jpg

medium.jpgmedium.jpg

The only disadvantage of the Nikon DSLRs is the price. The Nikon D100 was around $2000 when new. Its replacement, the D200 due out early next year, should be about $1700. Nikon also has cheaper models including the D50, D70, and D70s ranging in price from $700 to $900, last I checked. Macro lens additional charge. :ninja:

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! Very impressive I must say, I got the Canon S2 IS. I really tried a way to talk myself into buying the EOS 350D Digital Rebel XT. But living on disability and trying to raise a couple of other coinmonsters even made me feel bad buying what I did. But I got it on a no intrest for 6 months deal, as long as I pay it off in the next 6 months :lol: . I did buy a larger memory card for it 1 gig and so far I like it. I have NEVER ;) owned a digitial camera before. The weird thing is you find out little quirks you can do that you can't do with a film camera. Like take 100 pictures and only 2 of them are worth saving, try that with a film camera! :ninja: I actually took the camera out the box read enough to figure out how to put the batteries in and get the thing on and took a few pictures. I thought I was a PRO!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D;) If I knew these things were this much fun I would have invested the money a long time ago. The kids love being able to see the pictures right away and the oldest monsters birthday was today( THANKS FOR THE 1909 VDB!!!) all in all it is ok I guess. :cry:

I still have ALOT to learn though................and I do mean ALOT. The "users guide" is a freaking book about the size of the telephone book for NYC. ;) Oh yea this thing takes kick a** movies! No need for a seperate digital video recorder. WHOOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I forgot to mention the coinmonster in the picture turned 11 today ;) That is her cousin in her lap, she has another cousin that shares the same birthday so last night her parents took her to Chuck-E-Cheese. I just had a Party at home for my " Monster"

IMG_0019__Small_.JPG

Cool!

Yeah there are some great plusses with a digital. In addition to the one you mentioned, it is also great when you want to take a picture of something specific like on a trip or something where you cannot take it again; well no more waiting until you have the film developed wondering if the pic will come out nice or not. Now you can just keep on taking a picture of the same thing until it turns out just as you want it!

I like the little video bit on my camera as well. If you do not have your own server space where you can put the video, there are free sites where you can upload your video clips. It is a great way for far away friends and relatives to see what is happening. :ninja:

Guest 50cents

Good luck with your new toy Coinmonster..

Tell the little monster Happy Birthday for me..

MikeInFL those are some great pictures.That 1921 Morgan w/die cracks is a real keeper.Welcome to CoinPeople

Archived