CoinPeople.com

Been Searching Bank Rolls...

SquirrelNuts

Every time I go to the bank, I always add a few dollars (10-20) on my withdrawal slip and ask for rolled coins. I have been searching through cents and quarters mostly and have a few observations.

1) Tarnished dimes look a lot like tarnished cents. I have made $0.09 over what I paid for that roll of cents.

2) A lot of dimes for some reason are slightly off center. I found one that I thought was a small error, only to find 10 more in the roll.

3) The 2001 cent appears to have a small date.

4) I think someone spent a 2004 proof cent, and I found it.

5) I have no idea where to spend $10 in cents...return them to the bank?

6) I find it a little disturbing that most of the chewed up cents that I find are only a couple of years old.

-Robert

I just return them to the bank. No big deal, they've never openly complained about it.

I thought it was my eyes when I saw a small date 2001 penny. Maybe I was wrong.

A roll of halves is $10, and yes there is lots of silver to be found since halve just tend to sit in bank vaults with no one searching or saving them. My last search I found a 63-D Franklin, but with the 40% silver Kennedys, there are even more to be found since even if a person saves the pre-1965 90% silver coins they often ignore the 65-69 ones. I've saved about $200 face in 40% halves and maybe $75 face in 90% silver halves over the years. Not bad considering I bought them for face value!

Hi squirrel nuts!! I see your in Marrietta Ga.!! I use to live in Ackworth Ga. down the road. I wnt back a few years ago to metal detect old spots I know and WOW!!! the whole darn place "Kennesaw" has grown so big, that I just went to antique malls and visited my ol friend "Wildman" Civilwar warehouse and went home "S.C.". :ninja:

Guest 50cents
A roll of halves is $10, and yes there is lots of silver to be found since halve just tend to sit in bank vaults with no one searching or saving them.  My last search I found a 63-D Franklin, but with the 40% silver Kennedys, there are even more to be found since even if a person saves the pre-1965 90% silver coins they often ignore the 65-69 ones.  I've saved about $200 face in 40% halves and maybe $75 face in 90% silver halves over the years.  Not bad considering I bought them for face value!

That is where i find my silver too. I have found a whole roll of 64-D 's in BU

A roll of halves is $10, and yes there is lots of silver to be found since halve just tend to sit in bank vaults with no one searching or saving them.  My last search I found a 63-D Franklin, but with the 40% silver Kennedys, there are even more to be found since even if a person saves the pre-1965 90% silver coins they often ignore the 65-69 ones.  I've saved about $200 face in 40% halves and maybe $75 face in 90% silver halves over the years.  Not bad considering I bought them for face value!

Yes indeed, halves is where I find the silver. I've had tellers hand me Franklins and '64 Kennedy halves out of their coin trays and I found 4.5 rolls of silver halves out of 22 rolls from one credit union branch. Halves aren't used much and tend to be hoarded. Banks sometimes have lots of rolls sitting in the vaults, too.

I take mine to the local party store and purchase vodka with them. :ninja:

Picking up rolls of half dollars is a good idea. I am going to pick up 20 bucks worth this monday.

So what do you do with the silver? Hoard it away or sell it at bullion price?

I'll start a set of modern halves very soon. Can't beat picking up AU coins at face value.

Yes and Yes. Of couse for a long time you couldn't even sell 40% halves for melt since it was so close to face (like 55 cents) but now I've seen them actually being sold again now that they are worth about $1 each. The 90% you could sell, but I've never really had the need or desire to sell them, so they are just in the hoard. And putting together a set of Kennedys is a great thing, I am close to putting together my second set, all from circulation! I've gotten every date of Kennedy in rolls through 2001, except the 70-D. Not bad for face value!

Cool! Looks like I'll stop at the bank and get two rolls tomorrow. Worst comes to worst I'll just go and spend them at Kroger's :ninja: Should be a fun time.

That's what is great about rolls. You can also turn around and trade them in for no cost.

So, having read this thread, I stopped by the bank yesterday and asked for a couple rolls of coins with my withdrawl - halfs and dollars. They looked at me like I was nuts, said they didn't have any rolls... just loose coins from the stuff that people bring in for deposit. Seemed pretty weird to me, I would have thought they would have something around - I guess I need a new bank.

So, having read this thread, I stopped by the bank yesterday and asked for a couple rolls of coins with my withdrawl - halfs and dollars. They looked at me like I was nuts, said they didn't have any rolls... just loose coins from the stuff that people bring in for deposit. Seemed pretty weird to me, I would have thought they would have something around - I guess I need a new bank.

This is actually not unusual, especially with halves. When the sacs first came out, lots of banks carried rolls since everyone wanted some of the new coins. In fact in 2000 I got a roll from Wells Fargo at face value that was wrapped in the special mint wrapper that they were using to sell rolls to collectors for like $35 each! Now that the sac honeymoon is over, most banks don't bother with them. As for halves, when I lived in the northwest, most banks didn't even carry the paper rolls to put halves in! If you wanted them they would just give you whatever they had on hand that were deposited (sometimes this worked out really well!). Now here in Indiana most banks don't carry them in rolls, they have some in the teller trays that customers bring in, or perhaps a bag of loose ones in the vault. Usually they will just count out the loose ones for you, but most have the paper rolls that they will give you if you want to roll them yourself. You can order them as well, but most banks won't order unless you want a minimum amount, like $500. When I went to the bank by my folks house, they counted out $200 in loose ones and that group included a bunch of 40% and a 63-D Franklin. So loose ones aren't a bad option either!

Consider yourself very lucky, there in the USA....

Not only can you find silver in circulation, you can get rols at the bank for face value and apparently bring them back at no cost. Try that in the Netherlands...

Getting rolls : each roll, no matter what denomination, costs €0.25 extra. Bringing them back can be € 0.50 per roll or higher, depending on the branche and amount or rolls.

Going to a bank where you don't have an account? All you can do there is getting notes from the ATM, that's all

Went to the bank today and I filled out a slip to withdraw $40. I asked if I could have it in halves and the lady said that they don't have any except for the $2.50 in her little tray. So I was kind of mad, and then she asks me why I need halves. A bunch of smart remarks went through my head, but i just said they were for my mom :ninja:. Are they even allowed to ask what you need stuff for at banks? Isn't it kind of like invasion of privacy?

Archived