CoinPeople.com

Metal Detecting!

2coins

Man Dock....I cant believe all the stuffs you can find....thats totally awesome. Space rocks worth bucks $$$$.....must control urge to run out and buy one....must pay bills first. LOL! Hmmmm Although Christmas is right around the corner. :ninja:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:ninja: to explain

Q4T = Quoted For Truth. Basicaly I did not wish to add anything except what was already said. Doc showed my expression perfectly with the font and color and all. So for ease I quoted him to show I agree.

Basicaly means "Im with him on this"

Sorry for the confusion, I frequent a few forums where this responce is common.

-Bobby

• 3 months later...

Bringing this topic back from the dead :ninja:

A few days ago I remembered my dad bought a metal detector a few years ago to find the property spikes. Well I called today and found out it was a Discovery 2000. Anyone use this before? Tips in general?

Also, who would I contact about the laws about digging in the local parks? Just call the city office and have them direct me?

Looking to go out next weekend and try around our house and the farmer's field behind it. Probably won't find anything but it'll be fun.

The Discovery 2000 is a Radio Shack Product made for them by Bounty Hunter, who also makes the Wal-mart and Cabellas detectors. Its an entry level machine and considered a "toy"by many seasoned detectorists.

I started with a Wal-mart detector and it paid for itself in a few months. Take it to the woodchip playgrounds near you and learn the machine. Depending on the soil conditions you should be able to get 4-6 inches of depth and find some decent stuff. Let us know how you do.

• 11 months later...

Have always wanted a detector for years. Being born and raised in Richmond, Va means I am surrounded by historical sites. Just driving out to the country (not far from my suburban home) I see old farms and signs marking Dahlgren's Raid or many many many other skirmishes of the Civil War. I drool everytime I pass those places thinking that probably not that many people have taken a detector there.

I remembered to ax for one for X-mas and got it! A Bounty Hunter Quicksilver I believe. Not fancy but I was expecting a $20 detector!

I went out with a friend who has had a detector for about a year or so. He's found parts of old saddles in the woods behind his house. Not to mention many other things at his many adventures to the beach.

Anywho, we went to this old farm I have access too. Been around since the late 17th Century! Housed confederate soldiers at the end of the war. I knew of only one other person taking a detector there once.

So we had this place to ourselves for a few days and we plan to hit it up over spring break. There was a bunch of litter in areas but found some cool treasures. I even found some deep coins near a big tree. Was it a cache? No! 26 cents! From as early as the 1980's : p

Well, we know there MUST be something on that property. The place is gigantic, has a huge waterfront on the James (a very well travelled river back then) and has been around for forever! We just need better detectors (and skills), more time, more sunshine, and more patience with the few old Shlitz cans we find.

Another funny story while we were there, my friend was digging at the base of this fence in the middle of the property. He was getting a pretty juicy and consistent ping. We digged for about half an hour and moved a few cubic feet of soil and the ping was still there, strong as ever! We knew it was something pretty big IF it was something. But we also decided it could be a soil anomaly. : (

I plan to hit that spot back when I get home for Spring.

Where are the best places for detecting? (Besides beaches, here in the middle of the USA)

Like dock said wood chip parks. Easy to dig, can replace the ground without too much trouble. Lot of things lost while upside down hanging around on a play ground.

• 1 month later...

It's going to be a while until the ground around here is thawed. I love going to ghost towns and other "historic sites." Until I can do some more detecting, I'll keep doing research on some different sites.

• 2 months later...

I had to dig for this topic a little lol. I found a 1785-1787 connecticut half penny last week, but it's worn to essentially nothing. I also found an odd medal I'm trying to ID in a creek bed today, and two days ago I found this old Corbin lock. I love going out metal detecting, even if I find junk, it's still fun!

52xytck.jpg

4ujkitk.jpg

5yiqo3t.jpg

Archived