CoinPeople.com

Metal Detecting!

2coins

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been detecting since I was a kid. I now live in Central Virginia a really love detecting. I don't get a lot of chases to go out but my last find(aka liberating from the confines of mother earth!!) was a pretty 1951 Franklin.

Everyone have their favorite brand for detectors but I really love my White's XLT. A bit more in money but she is 6 years old and still running like a champ. Perhaps we could start a section here on CoinPeople for detecting finds??

Here are my favorite places to hunt:

1. Old home sites - pay particular attention to where people would dismount their horses and in mordern times; getting out of cars.

2. Well area - a lot of cleaning took place near these.

3. Find where the old clothes lines were - at one home I found no less than 6 Mercury dimes, 4 older nickels, and a fist full of wheaties!!

4. Look for the old schools and fairgrounds.

I better stop now or all my spots will be taken.

Ed

I better stop now or all my spots will be taken.

Ed

Hi Ed! Good idea! I live on the Henrico/Goochland border. I got my first detector for Xmas. You're lucky I'm far away at school for most of the year, otherwise you'd be cleaned out by me :ninja:

PS. Are you a member of a detector club in the Central VA area?

In some ways some people are lucky to live in an area where a metal detector is of some use. It at least gives you something to do and possibly find something of value just sitting there waiting to be found. Where I live in a big city a metal detector would find sewer pipes, gas pipes, water pipes, rebar in concrete, manhole covers, nails from someones new roof and just about anything else that is useless.

nails from someones new roof and just about anything else that is useless.

When I found my connecticut half penny, I found about half a dozen square hammered nails before I stopped digging them up. I think I had about 200 hits, which is where the old house used to be, all iron, all nails for the most part. Now I did get the occasional copper/bronze button or pin, but mainly nails. My discriminator on my Garrett Ace 150 works pretty well for it being under $250. Anyway today I found $0.86 in change, and an old dented, but live rifle round. The round was given to a passing officer I flagged down on an old dirt road. He looked at me like I was nuts until I explained it to him, lol.

Geesh. Maybe I should get back into the mood to do some detecting. I purchased a Whites MXT, used it once or twice and put it in a corner where it's been going on 2 years now gathering dust. Now that was money well spent!!!

Did you get hooked by their TV commercial?

Hi Ed! Good idea! I live on the Henrico/Goochland border. I got my first detector for Xmas. You're lucky I'm far away at school for most of the year, otherwise you'd be cleaned out by me :ninja:

PS. Are you a member of a detector club in the Central VA area?

Not a club member of any metal detecting club ...what's the old saying...I wouldn't want to be a member of a club who would want me for a member! I believe Grocho Marx said that....but I just don't have the time to join a club. My latest search has been for Civil War bullets from an exploded barge. last time I went out I found about 11 minnie balls, 5 x 44 caliber pistol bullets, 2 x 58 calibers and other assorted residue from the blast. If you interested in joining me...drop me a line.

Ed

Did you get hooked by their TV commercial?

Nope. Actually I have never seen a Whites commercial. I purchased on a whim but soon found their just wasn't many good public sites to search in this area that hadn't already detected to death. Main problem is I'm just too shy to go up to a farmhouse and ask to search their property.

What would be a good detector for someone that wants to start detecting, and has a budget of ~$100?

There are many detectors out there for under $100, but about 95% of those are junk, all they do is tell you something is metal. You need one with some sort of discriminator on it. I got my Garret Ace 150 for about $150 or something close to that, and it works really well, tells you what metal it might be, and has different tones for different metals. I like it, and it was really cheap compared to those $800-1200 whites detectors.

What would be a good detector for someone that wants to start detecting, and has a budget of ~$100?

You may be able to get a pre-loved detector from someone who has upgraded. I've got a second-hand one on he way from a serious detector who is up to his 3rd detector. Each one has aparently paid for the next one.

I own a few detectors and have had about 5 or so I've sold off over the years. For me, I love the White's XLT but have been considering moving up to their newer model. In my opinion here is what spending the extra money gives you and the downfall.

With a better detector I can go over an area a lot faster, get about digging coins since the detector is better at telling junk from coins. When my wife had a cheapo detector she was constantly digging trash whereas I could tell the difference.

The bad news is.....since I wasn't always getting a good tone when I passed over something but herdetector would give her a good tone. She would dig it and find something nice that I blew by. The best example was me passing over a hit but it just sounded bad - she dug it and found a silver and gold hair piece which dated from the 1850s. A great find!

I do not like my XLT if I get too close to water - especially salt water. I get a lot of false hits for some reason. If your digging around old homes/farms having a smaller coil is a great addition.

I'll be doing some water detecting in the James River this weekend -will let you know my finds next week.

Ed

• 1 year later...

Archived