CoinPeople.com

Metal Detecting!

2coins

Since we moved to Utah (I hate it here!!!) from S.C., I use to metal detect and dig old bottle pits and hunt arrowheads all the time, I miss that way of life, and at the end of the day climb in a deer stand!!, I have found many coins, the best was a peice of eight!(Pie split), a 1832 bust dime EX-F, and a 1822 large cent! If it didnt have some corrotion on it , surely it would grade AU!!! I still have it and remember the memories.

What have you fellas that metal detect found?? :ninja:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The gold coin and Confederate belt buckle would be welcomed additions to my collection!

This makes me want to get out the old detector and start hunting around the abandoned roundhouse. http://www.crestlineroundhouse.org/

Even my very, very small town is famous :ninja:

I cant post the best photo of a gold Escudo that was found!oh well.....This stuff is out there fellas!!, I use to hunt old fields back home, I could tell what time period it was by the shards of glass & plate!! Virgin areas!!!!!!!!Lots of flat buttons and I found 6 confederate differant buttons.And lots of shotgun shells!!, But you must digem becouse buttons ring-up the same reading on the detector.If you also discriminate alum. pull tabs, you are lossing your gold readings also!!! :ninja:

Mr. Burks, By all means do so!!!!We diggers back home used the old folding army shovels, you'l find alot of crap, but also coins & stuff. Go for it!!!!! :ninja: P.S., Iam originaly from Brooklyn ,Ohio out side of Cleveland, moved fromthere in 1980......... ;)

Oh Wow! Some of that (well actually al of that) stuff is soooo cool. Bobby would love to get a metal detector. Just love it! Hes always talking about wanting to take it out and comb the play grounds or beaches....or just when we go on our almost daily lunch walks. I know nothing about them....what would be a good one and about how much money do those range for?

Iam alittle old fashion when it comes to metal detectors. I used a whited 2000 DI Pro.It had a meter on it, Like a scale,I could pull the trigger and hold it and tell me how deep and to zero in on it and what it may be. I bought mine used, but when I got it (3) that Ive bought through the years, It was as new as new when I recieved it!!Since i cant spell worth a hoot, The name of the place was Cleavenger used metal detectors, or spelt close to that.....??Instead of paying $800.00 from whites, I payed $550.00!!There are many brands around, but please go with the main manf. Fisher, Testoro, whites ect....Look on E-bay for buys.Once you get one. your hooked!!!You must "Swing" the coil "Disk" correctly, even to the ground, not semi circle side to side, I seen more guys miss stuff doing that, and I come behind them and find stuff! :ninja:

To answer Sugers, question, You'l start at around $500.00 on up for a all around metal detector, There are differant kinds for differant situations, For coins, you need a "Coin Shooter" as said in the hobbie.those are alittle cheaper, A decent one to start is around 3-$400.00.

Awwwwwww Kat :ninja: I think it would be fun...Im all about it. You can come visit us Kat and we can go detecting together....that is if I can get one for Bob. Oh and btw thanks for the info....thats awesome help......coin detector.....got it.

The gold coin and Confederate belt buckle would be welcomed additions to my collection!

This makes me want to get out the old detector and start hunting around the abandoned roundhouse. http://www.crestlineroundhouse.org/

Even my very, very small town is famous :ninja:

Very Cool Roundhouse!!! I used to volunteer on the SP&S 700 when I lived in the northwest (see here: www.sps700.org) and I love trains! Of course working on the 700 around the Brooklyn roundhouse, I could only imagine that you would get one giant continuous signal with a metal detector!

I remember a story about the metal detector club in Hillsboro, Ore. that I think I read in the local paper a few years back. The town was tearing up the main street, and it was the first time in many years it wasn't covered by asphalt, so the detector club asked if they could do a search one day while it was torn up. They found horseshoes and spurs, steps off of stage coaches, and the best find of all was a Liberty $5 gold piece from Carson City! I don't recall the date or grade though. What a find from the old west!

Any machine will shoot for coins !!!

The modern detectors Like the whites DFX MXT, or even the older machines like the Eagle Spectrum or the spectrum pro are all around detectors, computerised,with graphics for depth and ID.

Tesoro or Minelab are also top notch machines,as are the Garretts,

Just make sure that which ever brand you choose has a depth meter and a target ID and you will do fine !!

These machines run from 900.00 to over 1000.00 New, but can probly be picked up for less if you shop around a little for used!!

Rick

I talked to my dad a few minutes ago about my car and asked him if he still had the detector we used to find piping we laid. Come to find out, it's still in the garage!

Model is unknown, at least 8-10 years old. How hard are they to use? Pretty easy or does it require a decent bit of experience?

Archived