CoinPeople.com

Swiss Shooting Medals

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rod, I love the toning on that R-420a, wonderful condition as well. One of my favorite Swiss medals.

And speaking of condition, that R-1900a just knocked my socks off. :yes:

1852 Zürich, canton Zürich

R1722a / M1013

First William Tell Free Shoot

Silver

48 mm

Engraver: H. H.

RRR, very difficult to find in such condition.

1852Zurich_zpsef077b37.jpg

Superb medal.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

As an FYI and if anyone may be interested, I have a consignment lot of 80 schützenfest medals listed on my website. The stated prices are firm per consignor and there are no pictures so please reference any book you may have available. Martin and Richter numbers will be posted.

• 4 months later...

Hello my name is Pavel, I am new to the boards. Have been collecting Swiss Shooting medals for the past 3 years or so.

I am tiny bit familiar with Rod Moore as I have bought several medals from his latest consignment several months ago.

Rod, I am glad I found this thread. You have posted great pieces from your collection. Of course as mentioned by many people here the photos are amazing. I also noticed that even with some common pieces you posted, the condition is absolutely pristine (patina and surfaces). Also the cups and pokals you showed are just fantastic. You never mentioned but are these almost unique pieces? Do you have a sense of how many of these survived or were made to begin with.

Hopefully we can keep this thread going, and perhaps you can share more knowledge and pictures with us. I also hope other people here continue to share their new additions as well.

Hello my name is Pavel, I am new to the boards. Have been collecting Swiss Shooting medals for the past 3 years or so.

I am tiny bit familiar with Rod Moore as I have bought several medals from his latest consignment several months ago.

Rod, I am glad I found this thread. You have posted great pieces from your collection. Of course as mentioned by many people here the photos are amazing. I also noticed that even with some common pieces you posted, the condition is absolutely pristine (patina and surfaces). Also the cups and pokals you showed are just fantastic. You never mentioned but are these almost unique pieces? Do you have a sense of how many of these survived or were made to begin with.

Hopefully we can keep this thread going, and perhaps you can share more knowledge and pictures with us. I also hope other people here continue to share their new additions as well.

Hi Pavel,

I hope you are enjoying your recently acquired schützenfest medals. I too am glad you found the CoinPeople forum and this thread. I love this hobby and it is my hope to be able to enlighten and educate whoever I can.

Schützenfest awards were given out in many forms with the most common being medals. Pokal and bechers were the more important award and the quantities of them especially the pokal were very limited. Some are surely unique but many were awarded in very limited numbers. Watches, both pocket and wrist were awards, clocks, silverware, sculptures, guns, etc. the list goes on and on. One of the many tasks of the schützenfest committee or the subset thereof, the award committee, was to solicit the local merchants for awards and or money. Because of this, awards came in many forms, but the schützenfest medal, pokal, and becher were the most common/official award given.

Jean Martin, who published the first "bible" of schützenfest medals also published a catalog of pokal and bechers. Mintage data is rare to find but not unheard of. The rarity of pokal is evident in there pricing and frequency seen for sale. Bechers (small cups, the size of of a small glass) are seen more often but still rare in comparison the medals. Pokal and bechers are usually .800 silver and are commonly gold gilt wash on the inside of the cup.

• 1 month later...

Which cantons were most prolific? rarest? most prized?

Geneve and Zürich are the most prolific with Obwalden being the least. I would say the Ticino has some of the most rare medals however due to mintage there are many very rare medals from all Cantons. Unique medals are without a doubt the most prized and these again can be from multiple Cantons.