My walker half

What grade is this Walker?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. What grade is this Walker?

• PO1
    • F2
    • AG3
    • G4

I was at my friendly neighborhood coin dealer yesterday looking through his "junk silver" bin (he charged me 5.75 times FV) for some circulated Franklins to finish a set and I found this coin. I would like your opinions on the date. I have my opinion and I will share it later, but I want to know if I am imagining the date or if you can tell too. The coin is probably a F2 in grade (that's what I voted for), but I would like your opinions there too. Even if it isn't worth anything I only paid $2.875 for it :ninja: so I'll be ok.

Obverse:

279.jpg

Reverse:

279.jpg

Close-Up of Date:

279.jpg

Well, what do you think?

My guess is it is a 1921 Philly.

Here is my evidence:

gallery_14_2_40239.jpg

I took the image from a 1921 walker and superimposed it onto the close up pic of your unknown. The protected area that is left fits very well into the space inbetween the bottom of the '2' and the '1' in 1921. Since there is no indication of mint mark on the reverse it is probably a Philly mint.

Essentially dateless, so I gave it an F-2. I looked through the various books I have to see what they had to say about what constitutes "fair". The ANA Grading guide doesn't mention Fair, but does state on page 23 for "About Good" that "the date is barely readable". Not sure if this qualifies or not.

The Red Book doesn't mention Fair. Brown and Dunn mention both About Good and Fair, but both are stricter than applied today. My 1962 edition of the "Blue Book" mentions Fair but not About Good. Go figure. It'd be an interesting study to see when both of these terms made it into mainstream collecting.

I went to PCGS website in their registry gloating section and looked through all the walkers until I found the one that might allow that wear pattern.

As far as the overlay, it is a 50 percent reduced cutout pasted over top of the 1921 coin I found at the PCGS site.

Good eye, bigA. It's a shame it doesn't have just abit more diagnostics to convince PCGS, a 21 in P1 or even F2 in plastic would bring bigger $$ than a G4. Teaches you to spend some time at the bargain bins.

Good eye, bigA. It's a shame it doesn't have just abit more diagnostics to convince PCGS, a 21 in P1 or even F2 in plastic would bring bigger $$ than a G4. Teaches you to spend some time at the bargain bins.

What makes you think it is unslabbable? I spotted it as a 21 in a huge bucket of junk silver by just glancing at it. I expect that a grader familiar with the series, and its wear pattern, would spot it as a 21 pretty quickly, too. Oh well, we'll see, eventually I intend to try submitting it, just to see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...