CoinPeople.com

Garage Sales

SquirrelNuts

Has anyone ever found anything nice at a garage sale? My mother has a high school friend whose husband collects. He found a pattern at a garage sale and paid $10 for it. Apparently, he had found the number 11 (10 known before that) of the pattern...who knows how much it was worth. I met him in Chicago when I was eight years old and he showed me the coin, and I have no idea what it was. My wife like to go to garage sales, but I have never seen any coins for sale there. Oh the thought of finding a coffee can full of '09-S VDB's...

-Robert

One a side note...luckily I have a local dealer that I can take a detour on my trip home from work and "make it on the way." It seems like every third time I am in the shop, someone comes in with a bag full of coins to sell. The owner always sends them off without even looking at the coins and asks them to set an appointment to bring them back. I am always tempted to stop them outside and see what is ripe for the picking.

-Robert

We have a Labor day street fair in my town and some people come and sell coins along with their other stuff.

One guy seemed only to be selling badly cleaned dollars and 2005 silver eagles for $18.00!!!!

I go on binges a few times a year and hit garage, yard, rummage and every other kind of secondhand sale I can find.

I have had extremely good luck with antiques (carnival glass, depression glass, art glass, etc.) and primitives (old bottles, milk cans, signs, etc.) but not with coins.

When I do see people who have them, most of the time they are asking way too much.

I think the luckiest I ever got was finding a $100 in an old bureau. :ninja:

Garage sales are non-existant here. People here bring there stuff to sell at flea markets. I often go to some on the weekends. However, I am usually looking for music at these. Coins would just be a bonus for me.

What do you do with your fleas when you bring them home from market?

A few weeks ago my parents picked up this neat Lincoln penny collection. It has all the different Lincolns made (zing, copper, wheat, etc) in a thick cardboard layout.

Not bad for $2. Now I just need to find a frame so I can hang it up. That's about the best find I've seen.

Having grudgingly gone to so many garage sales without coin finds, I finally asked this older fellow if he had any U.S. Coins (along with his bird houses, "antiques" etc.) to which he replied...yeah, if I can find them. Well he did...some 70 silver dollars with only two or three duplicates!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bought them all! Then, there was the one time when a guy had two mint coin sets. Hey, two out of what seems like 4,000 sales can't be too bad. Ha. You never know.

An antique scout I know sold me an 1803 US large cent in F which had been glued to a piece of cardboard along with a dozen or so other old US coins. He bought the board of coins at a yard sale and hasn't said what he paid, but he sold me the '03 for $15. One side was sort of cleaned looking from the glue, which came right off in an acetone soak.

He hasn't yet brought me the rest of the coins. I hope he gets around to it soon.

Archived