1. 1. Are you a Coin Cracker?

• Yes! Freedom!
    • No way, what are you nuts?
    • Sometimes if I get the urge.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Stujoe

I am a habitual coin cracker. :ninja: I almost always break up sets to put in my own holders and collection. Uniformity! I wonder if this is another obsessive/compulsive symptom on my part? ;)

Most of the packaging gets trashed.

Hmm. Well, I've never cracked one out of a slab;

I have removed some from original mint packaging, though.

So, how the heck do I answer this one :ninja:

Not me... I always keep mine as intact as possible. Including lame paper coverings etc. And whenever possible, I hunt down for their original boxes and certificates or I wouldn't buy them in the first place... sure... they are a lot more expensive... the worst thing I ever paid for is when a coin is supposely around 30USD or so and I paid almost thrice of that :ninja:

Now, here's something hilarious for you....

My method of cracking slabbed coins and/or those really tough proof sets like the 76 that the darn plastic is molded together. I use this handy dandy tool...

ME3651-6.jpg

One good whack with one of those cracks them pretty good. I actually cut the top edge off the ANACS slab on the Morgan I did the other week. It's nifty.

Guest Stujoe

My method of cracking slabbed coins and/or those really tough proof sets like the 76 that the darn plastic is molded together.  I use this handy dandy tool...

ME3651-6.jpg

One good whack with one of those cracks them pretty good.  I actually cut the top edge off the ANACS slab on the Morgan I did the other week.  It's nifty.

:ninja: Looks lethal! ;)

I usually try to just just snip off the corners with a pair of diagonal cutters. Your way looks much more fun, though. ;)

Guest Stujoe
And whenever possible, I hunt down for their original boxes and certificates or I wouldn't buy them in the first place... sure... they are a lot more expensive...

I usually do that too for my birth year set... It gives me the safety that the coins probably haven't been messed with.

Then I crack those suckers out. :ninja:

I have to say no, although I did crack a couple CC Morgans out of ACG holders for resubmital to PCGS. I can't bring my self to crack out my Carson City collection. Probably because I have no where to put them, or in case of needed resale I can get a better price.

My CC's are not the only slabs I have, I have some old gold and steel cents and a RPM Jefferson nickel still entombed. I just have nothing to put them in, I have no definitive reason...

My method of cracking slabbed coins and/or those really tough proof sets like the 76 that the darn plastic is molded together.  I use this handy dandy tool...

ME3651-6.jpg

One good whack with one of those cracks them pretty good.  I actually cut the top edge off the ANACS slab on the Morgan I did the other week.  It's nifty.

;);):ninja: Whew ... Remind me not to get on your bad side, girl :lol:

I have cracked and I will crack again!

coins out of slabs, mint sets out of holders.

These are, however, isolated incidents.

My usual rule is to leave well enough alone.

Definite cracker / cutter.

Then, I do keep the original packing as it usually contains info on the coin.

I haven't got/had any slabbed coins yet so I'm not experienced in that way.

I don't have a nifty cleaver like the bunny, but I do have

97PM.jpeg

(2 feet long....)

But I'd never use that on a slab, I'd use a

figuurzaagS0.JPG for that

I'd use the sometimes option.

I'm with Auldfartte! Not having to suffer the plastic tombs, I always liberate British coins from 'presentational packaging', but keep the container in as good a condition as possible. ! may want to sell the coins someday! :ninja:

lol, well I guess I only do it when they come in slabs. The main reason is because I don't get to see the thickness and the edge of the coins. Geez, everyone has to remember that a coin is a 3D object, not a 2D :ninja:

I would be so happy slabbing my coins away if they were all slabbed like the following link: http://cgi.ebay.com/RUSSIA-ALBERTUS-ROUBLE...1QQcmdZViewItem

Archived