CoinPeople.com

Pablo - Spirit of American Adventure

Art

I've mentioned before that I had a paper I was doing about Pablo the Buffalo who appears on the Series 1901 $10 USN.

4485225450_579193856c.jpg

I've completed the paper and have posted it in the Security Engraver's Vignettes group for which I wrote it. Below is the link to the pdf. Hope that you enjoy it.

Pablo - Spirit of American Adventure

Pablo appeared lastly on the series 692 $1 as Art noted:

dollar692r.jpg

For me though the main attraction of the $10 from 1901 is the reverse of the note:

legaltender101901dtl.jpg

The one thing you have to appreciate with these late 19th and early 20 century notes is that they represented the apex of American banknote artistry - so much so that we love their designs long after they were rendered obsolescent.

Here's the back of the note that holds the vignette that Saor has extracted for us. It is indeed a beautiful vignette from a beautiful note.

1987_126_076_b.jpg

image from ANA Virtual Museum - Beebe Collection

I haven't been able to find the name of the engraver for this image of Columbia but I did find a Souvenir Card with the back of the 10 dollar note and some additional info. I don't have the card so I borrowed the image from KenBarr Numismatics Inc. (He sells lots of Souvenir Cards and has a great reference site.)

4541028106_43dc2c0f61.jpg

• 3 months later...

Archived