CoinPeople.com

Waddaya think?

16d

I've found selling on Craigslist 10x better than fleabay. No fees,etc. I sold a lot last week, trading for a cherry VW bus. I now offer a "grabbag" of 300 coins for 1000. One person has contacted me several times. First time in broken English. The last I received this morning, nothing broken about it. You see the info he wants, pretty tame, you can find that in the phonebook. He's not fishing for financial info. The check I can easily find out about. He's local. This is what he writes:

I really appreciate your response to my email .I would love to call but am hearing impaired. I want you to consider it sold, pls do withdraw the advert from craigslist to avoid disturbance .I want you to know that i will be paying you an overpayment via bank certified check . The remaining will be for the shipping of the item which my shipper will use to come for the pick up at your location. I will like you to provide me with the following. information to facilitate the mailing of the check to you ...

1. Full name to write on the check

2. Full Physical address to post the check

3. City, State and Zip Code

4. Home & Cell Phone to contact you

*** Note that the payment will be shipped to your address via NEXT DAY SERVICE and I will like you to know that you will not be responsible for shipping i will have my mover come over as soon as you have cashed the check.

I feel as if I shoud RUN from this one

The overpaid check is one of the older scams in the book.

Basically a vendor gets sent a check for too much, then is asked to refund the over-age.

The vendor provides the goods and some cash

The check bounces (usually because it's a fake) and the vendor is out goods and cash.

It sounds like the deal of a lifetime. Tell him that as soon as his check clears the bank you will"

1) refund the difference in some world recognized currency

and

2) deliver his coins

It's some sort of scam, especially if it's been in broken english the first time. Also, why do they need your phone number if they are hearing impaired? That just doesn't go with what they are telling you. It's almost certainly a scam.

Just remember how easy it is to steal someones identity, especially with phone and address info.

I use craigslist/kijiji quite a bit, but (almost) always deal in cash and in a public place, face to face. On one occasion I accepted a fairly large payment to my bank account through an interac money transfer (an online banking non-refundable bank wire) from a man a few hours out of town. Payment was received and then he came to pick up the goods, no problems.

The cashier's check scam is a common one. This deal definitely sounds sketchy to me, I would pass on it. I am pretty sure that even after you cash a cashier's cheque and get the money for it, you are liable for the funds if the bank later finds out it is fraudulent.

scam, happend to me to got 5000$ worth of money orders for 1000$ purchase, unlucky for that guy he send me money orders drawn on my local bank , still have those fakes ..... i would take cash only or bank wire, wait 24 hours and then send it. During first 24 hours wire can be recalled.

I went for it. There's nothing that isn't in the phonebook. Who knows, maybe I'll start collecting these bogus checks. I have 4 from Canada. They really look authentic.

I went for it. There's nothing that isn't in the phonebook. Who knows, maybe I'll start collecting these bogus checks. I have 4 from Canada. They really look authentic.

Before anything is sent or refunded and whatnot, take the check to the bank and explain the situation. They will be able to validate it or tell you it is counterfeit. In either way be cautious.

Before anything is sent or refunded and whatnot, take the check to the bank and explain the situation. They will be able to validate it or tell you it is counterfeit. In either way be cautious.

Good advice! :ninja:

NEVER, EVER for no reason give out personal information as to your name, address, phone number, etc. when it comes to items like coins, stamps, guns. If you do and then get robbed, I think you could figure out why.

Sending any unknown person personal information is like placing a sign on your home saying please rob me.

NEVER, EVER for no reason give out personal information as to your name, address, phone number, etc. when it comes to items like coins, stamps, guns. If you do and then get robbed, I think you could figure out why.

Sending any unknown person personal information is like placing a sign on your home saying please rob me.

Addresses and phone#'s are common knowledge. I have a 50' perimeter alarm with ample back-up if need be. NOBODY sets foot in my house. I meet at the library.

I sold something on craigslist. The person needed my name to write a check and needed my number and address to contact me and pick it up (it was a large machine)...nothing bad happened...not to say that it couldnt have :ninja:

Archived