CoinPeople.com

One Thousand Dollars to spend?

KardGeo

I was recently tallking to my brother and I was showing him some of items of my collection and he suddenly asked me what would buy straight away if I was to have a $1000 dollars in my pocket to burn. The question took me back a bit as I wasn't expecting it from him, I later learnt he wanted to start investing in coins and actually had a larger some of money at his disposal then a grand (the git!) but in the end settled for gold bullion. I found I couldn't answer him straight away. Now I have my wish list and all that, as I'm sure most of you do, but I must admit I didn't know what I would get first.

I thought it would be an interesting question to ask some of you. If you had a $1000 dollars to spend on just one coin, one coin mind you, what would it be? Would you wait for an opportune time or would it be straight to the coin shop to buy whatever strikes your fancy?

After a while I did decide on a coin...It actually was an ancient Greek and I'll let you know the variety later...

(Folks who buy and sell coins at such values routinely need not answer. This is aimed at us mere mortals)

Regards,

George

Great question. We had a similar question in the main coin forum "would you buy 1 $1000 coin, several multi-hundred $ coins, or many $10 coins?".

If I was given $1000 and told to spend it, I would probably spend it on a coin/note I want but is not needed for my collection. For example, I could spend it on a nice coin for my Peace Dollars collection that I've nearly completed, but then the chase wouldn't be as fun. Instead, I'd buy a nice late 19th century pattern coin. I've always wanted one, never needed one.

Here's an example of a pattern that could be had for $1000 - an 1869 dime with a portrayal of Liberty that I've never seen before (and has never circulated):

1869 silver dime pattern from a Heritage Auction

So, to answer your question, I'd spend my $1000 on a pattern - can't tell you which one exactly but as long as it looks different from a design that circulated, I'll be happy.

What Art said ... 1877 IHC has been on my wish list for some time now.

However, it is also worth thinking about adding some of your own money to that windfall in order to pick up an even better specimen than what $1,000 would bring. For example, $1,000 will only get you that 1877 IHC in F-12 (if you are lucky; in VG-8 if you just go to a dealer and buy a slabbed coin off the shelf -- assuming that one is available, that is).

In general, it pays to go for key dates of whatever series is of interest to you. If you can get one in high grade, so much the better. So I would keep it in the savings account and look for offerings at reputable auctions (not eBay!), waiting for the day when just the right coin at the right price comes along.

Thanks for the response guys!

Hmmm quite a varied obsession, hey!

On the 2 Neu Guinea Mark Dr. Klaus Hild had one for sale under 500 euros. But I guess you are looking for a higher grade.

https://www.muenzauktion.com/hild/item.php5...20&catid=87

Pray what is so special about an 1877 IHC? Not a lot coin for your money. Is it a case of plugging a hole?

The coin on my wish list would be a very good specimen of an Athenian tetradrachma. However since I've noticed choice grades can even get close to the two grand mark. I live in hope!

Pray what is so special about an 1877 IHC? Not a lot coin for your money. Is it a case of plugging a hole?

It's the key coin to a very popular American series. The 1877 isn't rare compared to many American rarities but because the series is so rabidly collected, everyone needs the 1877.

With $1,000 I might, might be able to at least bid on a 20 franc "Marengo" from the Subalpine Republic.

An example.

But with a mintage of 2,820 they tend to sell at about $2,500. Sigh, someday...

With $1,000 I might, might be able to at least bid on a 20 franc "Marengo" from the Subalpine Republic.

An example.

But with a mintage of 2,820 they tend to sell at about $2,500. Sigh, someday...

Tres belle!

You can get a couple of nice EF or better Syracuse AEs from the third century BC for that kind of dosh. Since you are not afraid of ancients :ninja:

Agreed, Syracuse is a highlight for shure.

But as Paris compared to the rest of France: Paris is great but expensive and overcrowded.

The affordable treasures can be found in smaller unkown cities and provinces.

Maybe some of you don´t already know and would like to browse this site for the rest of Sicily and southern Italy:

http://www.magnagraecia.nl/coins/index.html

HeraklDr.jpg

(Herakleia in Lucania, 281-278 BC., Didrachm, HN 1385)

;)

And of course when it comes to ancients there is always the option of buying a metal detector... :ninja:

Collectors in the "new world" will be handicapped.

They are far away from the sources and depend on reputable dealers.

Hmm, I'd be better suited to "One Thousand Pounds to spend?"... ;)

I don't know, but the one I'm chasing after at the moment will be one of my most expensive purchases, but Coenwulf is worth it. :ninja:

Collectors in the "new world" will be handicapped.

They are far away from the sources and depend on reputable dealers.

I know people that have found ancients on the streets etc in America, not impossible. Usually lost by collectors etc.

Archived