CoinPeople.com

Which region of the US is best for...

thedeadpoint

Which region of the US is best for finding coins in circulation?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which region of the US is best for finding coins in circulation?

• New England
    • Mid-Atlantic
    • Southeast
    • Florida
    • Midwest
    • Plains States
    • Rockies
    • Texas
    • Southwest
    • Northern California
    • Pacific Northwest
    • Alaska
    • Hawaii
  2. 2. Which area is best for finding coins in circulation?

• A city, near a Federal Reserve Bank
    • Any city
    • The suburbs
    • Rural areas
    • Small town/village/hamlet
    • Other

Well?

I voted florida and rural areas for two reasons. Florida is where older people come to retire, so I figured that might lead to some nice old coins entering into circulation, or older people selling off their collections. I chose the rural areas because less new money enters these areas so you're bound to find some older coins (this is obviously not necessarily true, but my logic.). I think near fed reserve banks is great for the new coins.

Florida is probably one of the worst places to find coins in circulation. I think any place where there is a lot of so called retired people is poor for coins. Many of the older people are the biggest coin collectors. Many such places have numerous coin shows which inspires many people to look at and put aside coins even if they are not collectors. Large cities everywhere basically has the same problem. Also, the larger the city the more access to the internet so more information on coins so more collectors so less coins of any value in change. In many large cities coins are taken to a bank, then sent to the federal reserve in that city or to a company that rolls them. Then they are redistrubted right back to those banks so you end up looking at the same coins repitiously. Very small towns the money just doesn't move out to much so much better ability to find something.

Florida is probably one of the worst places to find coins in circulation. I think any place where there is a lot of so called retired people is poor for coins. Many of the older people are the biggest coin collectors. Many such places have numerous coin shows which inspires many people to look at and put aside coins even if they are not collectors. Large cities everywhere basically has the same problem. Also, the larger the city the more access to the internet so more information on coins so more collectors so less coins of any value in change. In many large cities coins are taken to a bank, then sent to the federal reserve in that city or to a company that rolls them. Then they are redistrubted right back to those banks so you end up looking at the same coins repitiously. Very small towns the money just doesn't move out to much so much better ability to find something.

Might you say that is... the other side of the coin? HAHAHAHAHHAHaahahaha :ninja: I'm sorry, I had to say that. Now I feel ashamed. ;)

I'm gonna say Midwest (which I thought included the plains states... guess I gotta go back to geography class) because I would think that fewer people here can tell a silver quarter from a clad one than, say, the Northeast.

I also picked small towns because they're more likely than rural areas to have banks, and the localized banks (ex. Blank County Bank vs. U.S. Bank), in my experience, seem more likely to keep around or put aside and forget old rolls of halves and dollars. Also, who was it on here that said they went to a random gas station and saw 3 Morgans in the register and was able to buy them for $1 apiece?

I think your average midwesterner knows more about silver than anyone on the coasts. To back this up, my best areas for finding silver in circulation were Jersey City, NJ (just outside NYC) and Portland, Oregon. The Midwest (where I am now, as well as growing up in Chicago) was terrible. Lucky to get a 40% silver half in a search of 400 coins!

Big city = lots of people =lots of coins.

Agreed. I find all kinds of coins and paper money where I work in New York City.

If I ask random people on the street what a star note is I usually get this response from 99 out of 100... :ninja:

Also find a ton of foreign coins, and once in awhile a nice US piece when some kid spends a part of his dads collection.

I havent voted, but I would say for circulation, probably the mid west, for the simple fact that you are in the middle of the country and its open territory for P and D mints, where as living ON the east coast, it can take years to get a D state quarter in circulation.

I havent voted, but I would say for circulation, probably the mid west, for the simple fact that you are in the middle of the country and its open territory for P and D mints, where as living ON the east coast, it can take years to get a D state quarter in circulation.

Now that is a strange thing. Some years here in the MidWest all you see are D mint coins for several years in change. Then suddenly P coins begin to appear but are all beat up. Then in other years it is just the opposite. Right now all I'm seeing is back to the D mint coins. I go through all type of change including bags from the banks. Doesn't matter where I get coins from, the D or P mint coins vary way to much to say we always get one or the other. Even back when there was S mint coins in Circulation, it was like that. Never could figure out why.

Archived