CoinPeople.com

Celebrity numismatists

thedeadpoint

All this talk about A-Rod (I hear he wants to play for Lou Pinella (and the Cubs)!!) recently and you can't forget his agent's name, Scott Boras. I read an article in some coin mag in the last year that Boras' big hobby is coins. He's a big name at some business in Newport Beach, CA, although I can't remember how so.

Do you know of any celebs or politicians that collect coins and/or notes?

I wanna say Jack Black. A page on wikipedia on one of our favorite coin rarities (UHR St. Gaudens $20, I think) rumors that Dennis Rodman owns one of those lovelies.

Rupert Boneham from Survivor Panama is also a coin collector from what I have heard. (Yes, I am a Survivor junkie.)

Oh yeah! If I remember correctly, our own LostDutchman is a trusted dealer for him.

I wonder how these lists would compare..

1. Number of celebrities who own at least one collectible coin.

2. Number of celebrities who know they own at least one collectible coin (as opposed to their agent, financial adviser, etc).

3. Number of celebrities who own at least one collectible coin and have seen it or held it.

4. Number of celebrities who own at least one collectible coin and could tell you anything about it beyond its value.

:ninja:

I wanna say Jack Black. A page on wikipedia on one of our favorite coin rarities (UHR St. Gaudens $20, I think) rumors that Dennis Rodman owns one of those lovelies.

I thought it was his agent (former agent?) Dwight Manley that bought it. If it was Rodman, I doubt he would fall into category 4 above. :ninja:

• 5 months later...

well seeing as its called the hobby of kings, here are some of the most famous collectors (who were leaders during their time):-

Emperor Augustus

Pope Boniface VIII

Ferdinand I

Elector Joachim II

Frederick the Great

James I of England & VI of Scotland, Almost all the Stuart monarchs also collected coins

Queen Christina of Sweden

Henry IV of France

Louis XIV of France

US President John Quincy Adams

King Farouk of Egypt

I wonder how these lists would compare..

1. Number of celebrities who own at least one collectible coin.

2. Number of celebrities who know they own at least one collectible coin (as opposed to their agent, financial adviser, etc).

3. Number of celebrities who own at least one collectible coin and have seen it or held it.

4. Number of celebrities who own at least one collectible coin and could tell you anything about it beyond its value.

:ninja:

5. Number of celebrities who own at least one collectible coin that they have embedded in a piece of "bling."

well seeing as its called the hobby of kings, here are some of the most famous collectors (who were leaders during their time):-

Some more from "around here", not kings but "celebs" in a way. :ninja: Albrecht Dürer, Johann W. Goethe, Mayer Amschel Rothschild, Peter Paul Rubens were all coin collectors ...

Christian

Not sure if he is an actual collector, but Harry Connick Jr's mother-in-law (Glenna Goodacre) designed the Sacagawea dollar.

I used to see him a lot when I worked at Sony Music Studios and once asked him if he got any free samples.

He just smiled and said "Not yet..." :ninja:

Archived