CoinPeople.com

First post here...

Just thought I'd step in and introduce myself.

I'm Chuck, also known as Charles D. Daughtrey. I'm the author of "Looking Through Lincoln Cents" and www.coppercoins.com. I'm also a numismatic photographer and numismatic artist. Some of you might have seen some of my work published in Whitman's Red Book series, or some of my articles or photography in various spots around the scene.

I just found out about this forum and thought I would drop in and lend a hand in numismatic education, answer a few questions, make a few comments here and there.

So... HELLO!

Hello Chuck. I've really enjoyed your site and some of your articles - haven't read them all. Glad you've joined us here at CP.

Glad to see you've joined up! Many of us have been using coppercoins.com as a resource for quite some time now, so it's nice to place a face (or internet persona) to the site!

On a side note: Your illustration of Victor David Brenner is amazing, hands down one of the best realistic illustrations I've seen in a long time. I am an artist myself, but I work with metals, not graphite, so I have major respect for someone being able to produce work of that caliber.

I am simply humbled that I can enter a message board and find that so many have already heard of me. You could have stomped on my foot a decade ago and told me this would happen and I wouldn't believe you for a minute. I'd probably just punch you for stomping on my foot.

I once had someone tell me that I have forgotten more about Lincoln cents than most collectors will ever know. I can't say that's true for sure, but I can say that my depth of knowledge in that one area is pretty staggering when I actually think about it.

One of my most common bar tricks that people never figure out is that I have them put ten cents face down on the bar and I will sort them by date, with a margin of error of 2 coins. I never lose, and get a lot of odd stares. Of course to someone who has seen the back-side of over a million cents it's easy to tell the difference between a 1981 cent and a 1985 cent. You just gotta know what to look for.

I sit here about to start on my third book, and am considering buying the rights to another title which I will update and republish within the next year. If that goes through it would be my fourth published coin book. Golly jeepers I guess I'm getting there, eh?

What people like and dislike about me are the exact same things. I am frank, to the point, and I don't sugar coat my responses. I will also answer to anyone who has a question within my field of expertise, and don't ignore anyone because they are unknowledged, don't have money, experience, or fame. I am a basic hillbilly with the mentality of a porch swing and the charm of a prune...but when it comes to Lincoln cents, I'm one of the most knowledged, most estudiate afficionados in the country...and I'm here just for experience and to share experience. That's the glory of it all...people with published books and decades of experience on an even keel with beginner collectors, all sharing what we have to share. Nobody gets paid, no pressure, and everybody learns something.

When I was younger and would get new coin books to read, I would wonder what the authors of these books did. Who they hung out with...whether they'd talk to me if I approached them. Well, I can tell you this much, for those who may wonder about me. This afternoon I went to the river with my ten year old son and ten year old step son. We skipped rocks, caught crawdads, built a campfire with nothing but a match and natural ingredients, roasted hot dogs, and talked about God's land. Yesterday I mowed the yard on my used Yardman rider and trimmed the bushes with manual clippers, and changed the plugs on my 1995 F150 pickup. Folks, we're just like you...no difference. I'll leave it at that.

Thanks for making me feel at home - well, comfortable anyway. No ticks and chiggers on here to remind me of home.

Nice read Chuck you are very welcomed here, your knowledge base along with Matts is very helpful to any of us who are eager to understand what to look for in our little hoards of coins. I for one would rather here honest comments of "you have nothing special there" than no comment at all, otherwise how would I distinguish what is common and what is not. Say it like it is and we are all the better for it. Thanks for your input!

Dustin - I know I can get 25 Lincoln cents with one. They work better in vending machines too. Does that count for anything?

i have a very weird quarter that needs lookin at.. im also a lincoln man but my dad got it in change at mcdonalds and gave it to me.

[edit] 5z1z01z.jpg4uwqneq.jpg sorry about the pics i dont have anythngbetter to take a pic with but m willing to send it to ya if ya want to look at it!!

dustin

Chuck,

Welcome, a great read and an honest introduction. It is much appreciated. I must admit, unfortunately, that I only own 3 American coins so I doubt that our paths will cross often but I'm sure that you will be a great assistance to many users here and hopefully you will learn a thing or two! Perhaps on hammered coins, eh? :ninja:

All the best,

Clive.

Archived