CoinPeople.com

Naughty Note

daggit

My sister came over tonight and brought change for me to sort through, before she left she said "oh may as well give you this 100.00 American that I got fooled with one night" She handed over a counterfeit Franklin, any suggestions as to what I should do with this? :ninja:

Put it in your collection. There's nothing wrong with owning counterfeit, it's only a crime to create it with intent to pass it, or to pass it as the real thing.

;)

My sister came over tonight and brought change for me to sort through, before she left she said "oh may as well give you this 100.00 American that I got fooled with one night" She handed over a counterfeit Franklin, any suggestions as to what I should do with this? :ninja:

Put it in your collection. There's nothing wrong with owning counterfeit, it's only a crime to create it with intent to pass it, or to pass it as the real thing.

;)

:ninja:

Yes, What Art said twice. ;) and please send a picture. That would be a great learning opp. for all to see.

I have some counterfeits in my collection that my underlings have accepted at work. They're kind of neat novelty items.

just by the pic, it looks a bit off-color. the ink looks too runny too. i've had many a bill go through the wash, and this note looks a lot worse.

up close, you could check for the magnetic strip, watermark, microprinting, and the color shifting ink used on the bottom-right "100".

When you have it hand you can really see a lot of areas where the ink has run, my sister also has a counterfeit Canadian 50.00 note. At least she didn't get taken on that one, she told the guy she could give him change and call the cops or he could choose to just walk away and lose his pretty piece of paper. He decided to just walk away. I couldn't tell one from the other especially in a bar where the lighting is so dim.

Criminal Code Line 450:

Every one who, without lawful justification or excuse, the proof of which lies on him,

( a ) buys, receives or offers to buy or receive,

( b ) has in his custody or possession, or

( c ) introduces into Canada,

counterfeit money is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding fourteen years.

Line 448:

In this Part,

"counterfeit money" includes

( a ) a false coin or false paper money that resembles or is apparently intended to resemble or pass for a current coin or current paper money,

( b ) a forged bank-note or forged blank bank-note, whether complete or incomplete,

( c ) a genuine coin or genuine paper money that is prepared or altered to resemble or pass for a current coin or current paper money of a higher denomination,

( d ) a current coin from which the milling is removed by filing or cutting the edges and on which new milling is made to restore its appearance,

( e ) a coin cased with gold, silver or nickel, as the case may be, that is intended to resemble or pass for a current gold, silver or nickel coin, and

( f ) a coin or a piece of metal or mixed metals that is washed or coloured by any means with a wash or material capable of producing the appearance of gold, silver or nickel and that is intended to resemble or pass for a current gold, silver or nickel coin

:ninja:

It is illegal in Canada. Usually they'll just confiscate it without penalty if it appears that someone just had one (received as genuine) as an example.

Certainly not advocating breaking the law in any way, or exposing one's self to 14 years of prison... but the government has never come in and checked out my collection. Just, you know, saying...

Hum... unfortunately US100 dollar bills are the world's most counterfeited notes, because of too many reasons.

Obviously we know that there are still many countries that still accept payments in USD, which many tourists sure will be more than happy to use, but you know, there are always evil things going on...

Leaving that aside, the security of the US note honestly in my opinion is a laughing stock. Metallic thread, ink, and watermark would most certainly would be the obvious security features, but other than that, it is not too horribly hard to counterfeit the rest of the other features! But honestly, how often would an average Joe look at the security feature of a banknote in a daily transaction? :ninja: The worst story I heard this month is that some person tried to withdraw some $8,000 in China *FROM A BANK* all in 100 dollar bills and shockingly, over 40% of his bills are counterfeit. (lol) (obviously, he lost quite a fair bit of money there)

But yes, I was just disappointed that the 20 dollar hologram design didn't make it, or it would have been a great way to ward off such counterfeit banknotes that still circulate...

OK should something go wrong here I would fully expect that you would come and bail me out of jail! :ninja:  ;)

I've never heard of anyone holding a note for an innocent purpose actually being charged...