CoinPeople.com

Fads

Cherry Picker

Here is something that I hope is a fad...the coin that has parts that stand up:

2005_08_wtccoin.jpg

coins should not have moveable parts :ninja:

This POC, or POS has been on TV adverts too. Gold plated basemetal, and got the promoter in trouble with the State of New York for alleged fraud.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No tomatoes, but a good point. I admit I own about three coins in slabs, two shouldn't, but the 1799 Bust Dollar reassures me of it's authenticity. The others are an 1865 3¢ in MS-60, and a Scottish Groat from ca. 1365 in EF-45. Those latter two are crackout candidates, just don't want to damage the coins.

When i was at the Baltimore show, there was a company selling a tool that can cut open slabs and not hurt the coin. I stood there and watched the video for about 5 minutes to see how it works. It looked like a Makita power tool with some accessory attached. Seemed easier then using a Dremel

BTW Slabs suck!!!!

Those offmetal coins, like palladium and niobium are just bullion, no matter how you look at it. So maybe not a fad, but not really meant for a normal coin.

As for shaped coins, I personally think it's just a gimmick and not worth my time. I could care less if you coins are shaped like guitars or motorcycles! If I find one in a quarter bin I'd buy it, but I'd never pay a premuim for something like that.

And finally, that polor bear is cute, that is if you like polor bears that vomit/cough up the Canadian national symbol, lol.

Fads in coins? Gee you think so? As already noted those painted coins will last for just a little longer and then people will get tired of them. Toned coinage will also fail eventually when people begin to realize how many are being produced artificially. I think soon enough the coin book craze will also wear itself out. When I first started collecting coins there was only the Red Book. Now at coin shows there are people with tables full of coin books. Coppercoins has two out on just Lincoln Cents. Many, many on error coins. Soon enough someone will write a complete book on just one date for one coin. Way, way to many books on coins.

As to fads with coins, I fell into one not long ago. Back in the middle 70's the Mint came out with the Bicentennial coins. Myself and a freind went nuts collecting as many as we could because we knew that some day they would be worth a fortune. A few years ago we both realize what chumps we were. Jars, boxes, cans, etc full of those stupid things. I asked at coin shows if anyone would buy them. Best offer was 24 cents for each quarter. Hint. No one wanted them. So to the bank. I had hundreds of dollars sitting around with no interest. My friend had thousands of dollars worth and he too went to a bank with them.

Not to far in the near future many people out there will also be at banks with their president dollars and those funny looking nickels.

Remember the Beanie Babies?

I hope not, I get a lot of good stuff there....

You will get a lot of good stuff from whatever will come along and eclipse it. I get good stuff there too, but I get the better stuff from online dealers and Vcoins. Many sellers prefer not to put the best stuff on ebay and risk losing their shirt on it.

I have never had any problem there...I know there are a lot of scammers but I guess I have been lucky...Worst experience I have had are with snipers. :ninja:

Some of us don't like to sit around waiting to get outbid and are those last minute bidders. My best snipe was 0 seconds left on hitting the enter key.

I think that the whole "conditional rarity" thing is driven by the Registry Set business and similar things. I have to believe that this would be one of the first areas to go in a downturning market.

This is a theory I've heard before but the evidence says it's wrong.

There was a thriving market and collector base in high grade moderns BEFORE the grading

serices were started in 1986. Indeed one of the grading services refused to grade moderns

at all because they said something to the effect that they were a fad. The #1 service refus-

es to allow moderns in their REGISTRY sets. Now that the new grading service is starting they

refuse to handle the coins as well and refer to moderns as junk or worse.

No. Moderns do well despite the overwhelming disdain of most collectors. This is because

they are fun to collect and there are far fewer pitfalls in grading. It's also because even we

less wealthy collectors can afford to buy rare moderns where rare old coins are far out of

reach due to the large numbers who collect them.

Some of us don't like to sit around waiting to get outbid and are those last minute bidders. My best snipe was 0 seconds left on hitting the enter key.

yeah, I have been a victim of that...Thought I had the coin, bidding ends and a sniper got it at .000001 seconds. :ninja:

Was that a manual bid? My best (manual) was 2 seconds so far, I Have never tried a last second attemp.. I ussually place @ 3-4 seconds, but I have been outbid a few times at that.

BTW, great info on fads.! Keep it comeing..

Was that a manual bid? My best (manual) was 2 seconds so far, I Have never tried a last second attemp.. I ussually place @ 3-4 seconds, but I have been outbid a few times at that.

BTW, great info on fads.! Keep it comeing..

Yes it was a manual bid, a couple of weeks after a 1 second difference. I never knew you could it it right on the mark. I have not used the sniping programmes, I like the thrill of sniping manually.

Flip side though, you mess up and get outbid in the last seconds, you are SOL, and believe me it has happened more times than not. :ninja:

When I am bidding on something like this, I admit, I despise others doing it, nobody likes to be outbid in the last seconds and be disappointed, but when you get something in the last 4-5 seconds in an intense bidding war, it is kind of exhilarating.

Yes it was a manual bid, a couple of weeks after a 1 second difference. I never knew you could it it right on the mark. I have not used the sniping programmes, I like the thrill of sniping manually.

Flip side though, you mess up and get outbid in the last seconds, you are SOL, and believe me it has happened more times than not. :ninja:

When I am bidding on something like this, I admit, I despise others doing it, nobody likes to be outbid in the last seconds and be disappointed, but when you get something in the last 4-5 seconds in an intense bidding war, it is kind of exhilarating.

Thats exactly why I never tried it, Didn't think it could be done in the last second.! Ill have to try that. ;)

I guess when you get outbid in the last 4 seconds, your always wondering, was it simply a higher bid already in place, or did someone actually throw that high bid & split the 3 second mark.?? IMO, Thats is the thrill of the hunt so to speak.! Gotta love it..

First Strike and Early Release coins.

These coins are not of any better quality and they are no more rare then any of the other coins released during the year.

Couldn't agree more. The only time I will ever buy anything labeled as such is when there is no premium added to the price. If it's a MS69, I expect to pay that price and not a penny more.

Regardless of which coins may or may not be fads, you never want to get caught up in the buying of those gold plated specials that they sell on QVC or the Home Shopping Channel. Now these are real rip-offs and there is absolutely now way of ever getting your money back for a purchase of these coins.

I think most people will agree with this assessment, and hope you arent' one who got sucked in.

Regardless of which coins may or may not be fads, you never want to get caught up in the buying of those gold plated specials that they sell on QVC or the Home Shopping Channel. Now these are real rip-offs and there is absolutely now way of ever getting your money back for a purchase of these coins.

I think most people will agree with this assessment, and hope you arent' one who got sucked in.

i second that if they were real gold then i might think about it...

How about buying coins via the TV in general. I'm sorry but anything with a 3-500% markup will never be worth what you paid for it in your lifetime. Your only chance is real gold, and even then only if it doubles or triples in price per ounce, because they charge you at least that much over bid.

Archived