CoinPeople.com

British Empire/Commonwealth Coins

Johnny 1989

Hi, I have posted a link here, for anyone who is interested, for my Omnicoin Collection. In it I will be posting images of my coin collection but will be focusing on British Coins as well as coins from the old British Empire & current British Commonwealth.

Coins featured in this collection will only be included if the depict Quen Elizabeth II or any previous monarch. There will be exceptions to this however, but these will only be for coins not featuring a monarch that were issued under Empire/Commonwealth control (mainly early British India & Guernsey coins).

So far I have only uploaded sixteen coins, from the Isle Of Man but I will upload more coins later today (it is 2:05am as I write this, I should really go to bed, thank God for a May bank holiday)

Countires to be added to this set include:

*UK

*Isle Of Man

*Jersey

*Guernsey

*Falkland Islands

*British India

*Canada

*Australia

*New Zealand

... and some other countries you may not even have known of to issue Monarch coins

Anyway, Click Here to see it, as I say there will be alot more content on here very soon & I hope you like what I have collected so far :ninja:

Right, now it is a more reasonable time of the day (3:30pm) I have managed to add some more coins, the IOM coins have had their images greatly improved as I have replaced the small versions with larger versions, what can I say for my error it was late, I was tired, blah, blah, blah

Anyway I have added the following to the group:

* Cook Islands (from 1c-$5)

* Crowns of Isle Of Man, South Africa & Tristan da Cunha (I can hear you saying "where" to that last one)

* 50p's from Isle Of Man, Guernsey, Jersey, Gibraltar & the Falkland Islands

I hope to add more later tonight :ninja:

I have added quite a few more coins from Fiji, Solomon Islands, British Cyprus, Celon and other countries, below are some images of my personal favourites from the additions:

New Zealand

924538.jpg

British Cyprus

924680.jpg

924681.jpg

Fiji

924685.jpg

Solomon Islands

924687.jpg

924689.jpg

More to be added in due course, click link below to see more

Omnicoin Collection

I got some of the Fijian and Aussie coins from Daggit the other day, they are the same portrait, same dimensions etc - I wonder how much Solomons, Fiji, Australia and NZ coins cross circulate in other countries?

Although it will probably take years before they all dissapear, New Zealand should be crossed off of that list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coins_of_the_New_Zealand_dollar

Use of other countries' coins

Due to regional travel and the fact that many other former British colonies around the world use coinage systems with British-derived origins of sizing and weight, many Fijian, Samoan, Singaporean and especially Australian coins had been in daily circulation in New Zealand despite not being official legal tender. It is of note that the United Kingdom itself does not use these sizes of coins any more, and there has been the odd case of foreign coins appearing in a customer's change. The consistently similar but not significantly higher value of the Australian currency and the obverse side of Australian coins being almost the same as New Zealand coins also didn't discourage this practice, with millions of 5, 10, and 20 cent Australian coins having been used in New Zealand in an identical manner to their true counterparts. The coinage size and material changeover (see below) of 31 July to 31 October 2006 means these foreign coins can no longer be accepted interchangeably, though the new 10 cent coin strongly resembles the British one penny coin in size, weight and appearance and the unchanged one dollar coin remains very similar to the Fijian counterpart.

You know, it would be nice if there is such an intercontinental currency for Oceania such as Euro. :ninja:

Great minds think alike, I did think about that after posting my message earlier today. It could be a possibility in the future but that all depends on whether or not Australia votes for the Queen to no longer be head of state.

They could do it like the East Caribbean States coinage

Great minds think alike, I did think about that after posting my message earlier today. It could be a possibility in the future but that all depends on whether or not Australia votes for the Queen to no longer be head of state.

If the vote were held and a clear referendum was worded, Australia would likely become a republic, but the problem for the republicans in Australia is that they are too mired up in their visions of what a republic should be to make it happen in reality.

I can appreciate that NZ reduced their coins sizes etc, the exchange rate was lower for the NZ dollar anyway. I cannot speak for the Solomons and Fiji, but I know the Australian dollar has appreciated to the point at which it is not really affordable for me to buy 5 kilo bags of roo pennies and have them shipped here like it used to be. :ninja:

If the vote were held and a clear referendum was worded, Australia would likely become a republic, but the problem for the republicans in Australia is that they are too mired up in their visions of what a republic should be to make it happen in reality.

I can appreciate that NZ reduced their coins sizes etc, the exchange rate was lower for the NZ dollar anyway. I cannot speak for the Solomons and Fiji, but I know the Australian dollar has appreciated to the point at which it is not really affordable for me to buy 5 kilo bags of roo pennies and have them shipped here like it used to be. ;)

Well I bought a set of the 2007 coins from the New Zealand mint page earlier today they cost £20.00 in pounds sterling but in NZD they were $49.99 :ninja:

Perhaps that explains why, also is New Zealand the first country to have double figures as it's lowest value (well for money that carries the Queen's head anyway)?

Even more uploaded, I still haven't cropped all that I have scanned!

I have included this time:

*St Helena & Ascension - See below for more info

*Mauritius - 1 George VI coin only

*Fiji - Another coin, this time from Elizabeth II's pre-decimal time

*East Caribbean States - Various values from this part of the Caribbean

*East Africa - 1 George VI coin only

*British Virgin Islands - complete proof set from 1974

*Isle Of Man - Even more varieties including complete sets (except the £1 coin in certain cases) from 1971, 1979, 1985 & 1989.

I am hoping to do a thread on the ever changing designs of the IOM as I have around 30-50 designs of coin for the IOM. I actually have more on the way including the 1980 proof set where they had their 3rd set of designs & a coin from the 1983 series.

Not sure where to put this thread though, the world coin forum, british coin forum or virtual museum. Where would be best?

Finally some pics of the recently added coins

Isle Of Man

924795.jpg

"Modern" Technology ;) Bear in mind though this was 1989 when this coin was released, how time have changed, from the 1989 series which can be seen in my collection

St Helena & Ascension

924783.jpg

Woo Hoo, at last I got a coin from this rather remote set of Islands. They use the pound just like the UK (for those that didn't know) and a extremely rare to get hold of. My mum actually got this in change the other day & nearlyg gave it back :ninja:

East Africa

924775.jpg

One of my favourites, a George VI British East Africa shilling, which is actually the same size as the British Florin (Two Shillings) coin, rather than the shilling. Alot of British East Africa coins do not follow the same dimensions of the British coins of the day.

British Virgin Islands

924774.jpg

One of the coins from the proof set, this is my personal favourite of the set. I believe that they no longer issue British Virgin coins anymore, is this correct?

I'm slowly getting there with my collection. I have scanned virtually everything from the British Empire/Commonwealth (except the UK itself) but have yet to find time to crop & save the images.

Anyway only a few additions this time including:

Bermuda

925220.jpg

One Bermuda Crown from 1964 with the Type 1 variation head. I love this design shwoign a lion holding a sheild of what could be the shield of Bermuda?

Tokelau

925221.jpg

Rather remote island, so I was rather pleased to get this silver, cased, uncriculated coin

Rhodesia

925227.jpg

Rather oddly this coin (as I presume the other coins in the series minted at the time) has dual currency on it. On the left the old UK £sd system showing 2/-6 (Half Crown) on the right 25c of the (then) new Rhodesian Dollar. However as history shows these coins didn't last in circulation for long.

Others on the update are:

UK: Victoria Bi-Metallic Model 1p

The Gambia: 1, 2 & 4 Shillings

Isle Of Man: 1982 10p, from the third set design of coins

More soon

you might like these images to go with yours - they are not that common to find these days given that Rhodesia - Nyasaland only lasted as a country for a very short period of time

1964RhodesiaNyasaland3dObv.jpg

1964RhodesiaNyasaland3dRev.jpg

This one is a brass threepence from Fiji - George VI

1952Fiji3Obev.jpg

1952Fiji3Drev.jpg

First off I must apologise if alot of this doesn't read correctly, it's 2:20am here in London & I've been up since 6:30am so I'm VERY tired, anyway...

Nice pics, you should open your own Omnicoin collection if they are your own pics. Suprisingly South Rhodesia/Rhodesia & Nyasaland/Rhodesia coins aren't that common in the UK unfortunately.

I have recently got a few Rhodesian coins, but I'm yet to scan them, I got them amongst couple of bulk lots of British Empire coins. I however have between 70-90 coins to scan and haven't got round to them.

In the meantime I have managed to finally crop & upload some more coins, this time from:

* Bermuda

* Cyprus

* Gibraltar (Majority of the update)

* Guernsey (Yes I know two coins don't have a royal portrait but I have made an exception for Guernsey)

* Isle Of Man (Yes more again, there are just so many standard coins to collect, I'm not even bothering with the crowns, just too many)

* Jersey

Hopefully I'll be able to add India soon but I have alot to crop there, also the rest of the Guernsey/Jersey collection. Also I've actually got to get roudn to scanning the UK coins ;) It's doing me head in ;)

Anyway a few of my favourites that I have updated here tonight/this very early morning:

Isle Of Man

925382.jpg

For the sheer reason that it is just such an odd choice of design for a coin, racing cars. Then again they had a whole sporting theme going on at one stage, the 1p (which I don't have) had a rugby ball & goal on it :ninja:;)

Guernsey

925379.jpg

It only took them about 125 years but finally they designed an interesting Doubles coin, this is the 8 Doubles one, the 4 Doubles (which I own but haven't uploaded yet) had a similar design. The 1 & 2 Doubles coin were discontinued by this point. I've always found the name of these coins odd, does 8 Doubles mean 8 or 16?

Gibraltar

925375.jpg

I have quite a few Gibraltar £ coins, only three from the "12 Labours of Hercules" set unfortunately which are all great but my Favourite has to be this one, what more needs to be said Britannia's on it that's what makes it great ;)

Bermuda

925353.jpg

Nice simple design here, of either flower cleverly morphing into a bird or a bird doing a cr*p on the coin, either way I still like it

Around 30 added this time round.

Yes they are my pictures and I will eventually get around to doing an Omnicoin selection ( bit of a time issue with the thousands of coins I have) - no offence was intended by the way I was just providing a couple of hard to find coins in case you didn't have them.

Regards

Phil

Yes they are my pictures and I will eventually get around to doing an Omnicoin selection ( bit of a time issue with the thousands of coins I have) - no offence was intended by the way I was just providing a couple of hard to find coins in case you didn't have them.

Regards

Phil

No I didn't take offence at all, sorry if it read like that, I was rather tired afterall ;) I am always actively looking for coins & will look out for those two soon, although I need to stop using my eBay account after Monday. I'm supposed to be going away in July an dI have spent so much money on coins (and classic Doctor Who DVD's) in the last month that I'm a bit low at the moment. I just need to purchase one more thing off of eBay and then I'll get my brother to change the password so I don't buy anymore sh*te :ninja:

Again apologies if it sounded like I have taken offence, it wasn't meant in that way at all

Some nice coins there, I have some of those although certain ones not in as good a grade.

Another Mini update this afternoon, a variety of different countries. Here are my favourites:

Ireland

925438.jpg

It's rather hard to find any British Irish coins nowadays, especially in this condition. This is a Half Pence. i hope to get the One Pence, with Britannia seated with a Harp by her side, one day.

Guernsey

925437.jpg

The last Four Doubles coin design issued into circulation before decimalisation

Rhodesia & Nyasaland

925441.jpg

This has to be my favourite coin of the moment, Rhodesia & Nyasaland was a shortlived federation of North Rhodesia, South Rhodesia & Nyasaland, which existed between 1953-1963. To get a coin from this short lived federation is hard enough, but to get a coin in this condition is very rare and a pleasing purchase indeed :ninja:

They could do it like the East Caribbean States coinage

GB is both part of EU and Commonwealth countries,If others like Australia to join EU currency it is not anymore EU more likely Eurasia.

If others Commonwealth countries can be persuaded by GB to join EU GB can go to many continent if those country will like it,or the EU can allow them to join in depending on what are their atmost interest.

GB is both part of EU and Commonwealth countries,If others like Australia to join EU currency it is not anymore EU more likely Eurasia.

If others Commonwealth countries can be persuaded by GB to join EU GB can go to many continent if those country will like it,or the EU can allow them to join in depending on what are their atmost interest.

Apologies, that was in response to an earlier poster's message, what we meant was a single currencey for Australia, Fiji, New Zealand creating the Oceanic Dollar, like the East Carribbean States dollar.

Only the UK, Isle Of Man, Jersey, Guernsey, Falkland Islands, St Helena & Ascension are the only ones that would be able to join as they have their own version of the Pound

Thank you johnny for the correction.

Additional info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Caribbean_dollar

About New Zealand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New Zealand

About Fiji

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiji

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_...Current_members

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union#Member_states

Their are many economc organization,association and union also different form of currencies maybe others are also looking for one form of economic union and state for most of the countries interlap from one union to another or to one organization to another, the currency will be a problem for US is the international currency,just an opinion.

Archived