CoinPeople.com

Holed/pierced coins

Reid Goldsborough

Anybody here collect holed coins? They're more technically referred to as pierced coins to distinguish them from coins that were minted with a hole. Coins are holed after they were minted for a variety of reasons, for jewelry, to use on a keychain, to fashion into a button, and so on. Most dealers and collectors regard them as culls -- junk -- but they can be interesting, and some have considerable market value.

I'm building a cheapo set, though, a set of holed U.S. type coins that I'm able to find for less than $10/coin. The hole has to have been made for a purpose other than to create a holed coin. I know of one collector who holes coins himself just to have holed coins -- not for me. Also with me the coin can't have other serious problems, multiple holes, a ragged hole, or a hole that obscures the date or the head of the obverse device. If anybody has or comes across the following, let me know:

Holed Lincoln Memorial cent

Holed Jefferson nickel

Holed Susan B. Anthony dollar

Thanks.

Reid -- email me at reidgold@nospamnetaxs.com -- delete the nospam part.

I don't collect holed coins but I do have one. An 1855 U.S. large cent I always found interesting. Its has a square hole, which I assume was made by a square hole to hang it up in a house for luck.

908529.jpg

that square hole was made with a nail of that period.

I buy holed coins whenever I can for use in jewelry. The nicest I have now is an 1877 shilling that would have been AU except for the piercing near the rim. It was made into a keychain fob for that reason. I'm fairly used to finding the smaller Charles III silvers like 1/2 and 1/4 reales. Recently I sold a great little charm bracelet loaded with 18th and 19th century silvers including several Spanish 1/4 reales, a George III threepence along with several young head Vickies of the same denomination, and a US half dime.

Holed coins are always welcome in lots I buy if they're silver or gold. I've never pierced on myself, though.

I collect holed specimens where an undamaged piece is out of my price range. As long as the hole is neat, and small, I'll probably buy it. Makes it more interesting, to boot.

I've wanted to have an old worn half as a key fob, but have yet to come across one with a hole large enoungh.

I don't collect holed coins but I do have one. An 1855 U.S. large cent I always found interesting. Its has a square hole, which I assume was made by a square hole to hang it up in a house for luck.

Hmmmm I wonder if they tried to hang it on a round peg...

:ninja:;);););)

[sorry]

It must have been a fairly common practice during the 19th century to pierce coins for jewelry because the most commonly seen are those that Blackhalk displayed -- nice representative collection. You especially see a lot of holed Seated coins. In doing this little holed under $10 type set, the first series I completed was Seated coins, even before Barbers.

Prices are very reasonable (under $10) for most type coins, with the exceptions being Draped Bust silver and earlier material, all gold, 20 cent pieces, and dollars earlier than Morgans. Before doing this under $10 holed set, I did a holed Heraldic Eagle Draped Bust dollar set (all except the 1804!). I've sold all off except the 1799. A bit scruffy:

Holed_bust_dollar_o.jpg

Holed_bust_dollar_r.jpg

I've got quite a few holed coins, but i'll `bore' you with just one of them :ninja:

917252.jpg

PS: what is the WTS forum?

I'll relieve you of that boring old thing if you'd like Ian...

;)

do you know when the coin was pierced?

Well it wasn't done in the last ten years. That much I can personally vouch for. :ninja:

In my opinion it was done 150+ years ago. Possibly even when it was a circulation piece but unfortunately there is absolutely no way of telling for sure one way or the other.

Archived