CoinPeople.com

My 1st Post & Newest Coin

JamminJ

Some of you may recognize the posting ID from other forums and yes it's the same person. After hosting a visit by Satooko last weekend he mentioned this forum so why not join. :ninja:

Now the coin:

1906283-016.jpg

For quite a while I’ve wanted to add a coin with this obverse design to my collection, thinking the giant cross was darn cool. I wasn’t expecting a choice uncirculated thaler to fill the spot but when something like this comes along you just have to grab it. The strike exhibits weakness on all of the high points and there’s a mint made flaw on the reverse rim at 2:00. More than balancing these minuses are the clean, original and hairline free surfaces, the crusty toning and the overall appealing look. Overall, it’s a coin I’m very happy to have in my collection, what more could I want?

As an added bonus it fits with my Holy Roman Empire theme as the Duke of Brunswick & Luneburg rose to the electoral dignity in 1692 and also served as the Arch Treasurer of the Empire (albeit a hollow title). Informally the territory was known as Hannover until the name became official in 1814. The ruler, George II, was simultaneously King of England which explains the quartered arms on the reverse. The guy with the cross is Saint Andrew

Comments are welcome!

:ninja: Oh no PCI6 is doomed for us! :lol:

Very nice JamminJ :cry:

Thanks, but what's PCI6?

Thanks, that looks like fun. A quick browse reveals some pretty uneven matchups in the early rounds!

I love the ugly coin contest, someone showed it to me at the 2004 ANA summer seminar but I never found it on my own.

Gx, Gx, your jealousy has no bounds.

Welcome JamminJ!  Awesome coin!  I love Germans!  :ninja:  Hope you enjoy it over here.

My number one collecting theme is Holy Roman Empire, mostly Hapsburgs but some of the german stuff as well. As long as there's a reference to the empire somewhere that's close enough for me.

I also run a few side collections: currently a pre war Japan quasi type set, a 1928 Ireland proof set and a Kaiserreich minor type set. Former selections have included Ottoman coinage and I think a future one will be Byzantine gold.

My number one collecting theme is Holy Roman Empire, mostly Hapsburgs but some of the german stuff as well.  As long as there's a reference to the empire somewhere that's close enough for me.

I also run a few side collections: currently a pre war Japan quasi type set, a 1928 Ireland proof set and a Kaiserreich minor type set.  Former selections have included Ottoman coinage and I think a future one will be Byzantine gold.

P.S. JamminJ's posts at CoinUniverse is more than impressive - I know I have gone :lol: too many times. :ninja:

And don't be scared by the avatar.  It's a joke that has to do with our asylum area.  I'm normally a very peaceful bunny.  :lol:

Speak softly and carry a machine gun? Works for me! :ninja:

Welcome to CP, JamminJ. I often read your posts (and drool) over on NGC forum, as well as PCGS forum. I just recently purchased my first "real" slabbed coin from you, as a matter of fact. Maybe some day when you have time, you can give a tutorial on how to scan slabbed coins, or does it require a camera??

Welcome to CoinPeople JamminJ :lol:

Awesome coin !!! :ninja:

Good to see you here, man :cry:

And don't be scared by the avatar.  It's a joke that has to do with our asylum area.  I'm normally a very peaceful bunny.  :lol:

I dunno ... some of us are missing limbs ... :ninja:

A beautiful coin, the look is very cool it has just the right toning for a coin that age. The history behind the coin is always interestig as well. The current British monarchs are still Hannovers correct? They just changed the name during WWI.

Maybe some day when you have time, you can give a tutorial on how to scan slabbed coins, or does it require a camera??

I use a camera with a macro lens. I'll try to put together a "how I take photos" tutorial in the next couple of days.

A beautiful coin, the look is very cool it has just the right toning for a coin that age.  The history behind the coin is always interestig as well.  The current British monarchs are still Hannovers correct?  They just changed the name during WWI.

Victoria was a Hannover, but her husband was the son of the Duke of Saxe-Coburg & Gotha. When Edward VII rose to the throne be became the 1st member of the House of Saxe-Coburg & Gotha. During WWI George V replaced that German sounding name with Windsor.

The current ugly coin competition is still open for entries (if you have any disfigured thalers) :ninja:

Gee, I generally try to steer clear of those. Who knew I was missing out!

Howdy JJ -

I see nuttin much has changed, you're still baggin the gorgeous coins  :lol:

A dirty job but someone has to do it. :ninja:

Archived