CoinPeople.com

A fun afternoon at the coin show!

jtryka

Well, today was the monthly coin show in South Bend, so I took the drive over and spent part of the afternoon there and found all sorts of bargains!

Well, the first table when you walk in the door is my friend the foreign dealer (he's usually the only one there that focuses on foreign coins), and I must admit I was repulsed as I entered and saw he had a cigar box full of Churchill crowns for $1 each! :ninja: I looked around at what he had, and saw he had some Mexican onzas I needed (I had an 82 and 83, and bought an 88 at the last coin club meeting, so I decided to put together a set. So I picked up nice BU 1984, 1985 and 1986:

silver3.JPG

Then I looked at the case and saw he had a couple of proof silver Panama Balboas (they peg to the dollar, so the silver Balboas have 26.73g of 0.900 fine silver just like a silver dollar). He had a 1973 and 1974, both at the same price, and since I've been wanting a proof one, I picked the 1973 since it looked a little nicer:

1973balboa.JPG

Then I did my usual search of the junk box of foreign silver that he sells for melt, and found a couple quarter balboas from Panama, and a 1953 25cts from Cuba (before castro they also pegged to the dollar, so this one is 6.25g 0.900 fine silver like a US silver quarter). Then he pulled out a box and said, these coins are nicer, but they are also priced at melt, but he didn't want to keep them with the dirty worn coins. So I happened to find a really nice unc 1961 Phillippine peso for the Jose Rizal centennial and a circulated 1934 German silver 5-mark coin. All priced for melt!

silver4.JPG

Then I went to the dealer that I bought my 1830 Small-0 bust half from (see the PCI-5 threads), and although he didn't have any nice bust halves to catch my eye, he had a really big silver coin in the case that said $5 on it (face value not the price), he complained that he'd been trying to get rid of it for a long time, and I figured it had to have at least an ounce of silver, and he only wanted $9 for it, so I got that as well as 2 unc. 1984 Olympic silver dollars and a Maria Teresa thaler restrike for only $7! It turns out the big mystery coin was a 1966 Bahama $5 which contained 1.25 oz. of silver! Bargain CITY!!!

silver2.JPG

Finally, I went to a table from a fellow coin club member, and I found an 1864 small motto 2-cent, which is the last coin I need to complete the set, but unfortunately I ran out of money by then! So he agreed to put it aside and I would pay him at the next meeting. So overall a fun day!

Well, I like the Balboa design too, and he only wanted $12 for the proofs despite the fact that they contain $8 worth of silver!

Sure can't beat that price. My 1/4 Balboa proof was $3-$4.

If you want one, say the word since he had a 1974 for $12 too.  I can see what he has when the show comes around again next month.

Thanks for the offer. I'll keep that in mind :ninja:

Archived