A suspicious coin I received today

Sir Sisu

Bought three coins. I was excited to get them until.... :ninja:

I am guessing either plated or painted.

Very large pics!

Flaking

Uneven surface

Even unnatural shine

There was also another coin with a similar "look" but without the flaking.

The third coin was ok fortunately.

It's hard to tell from the photos but there's the possibility that the flaking is actual flaws in the original planchett. Maybe one of our error experts will have a better idea.

Hard to tell from the photos, but does the middle one (uneven surface) show evidence of clashed dies?

Looks more cast than struck, weak and flat on the high points (if it was wear it shouldn't have that much lustre!). Very grainy surface on the legends there (bottom right hand corner). Although that's the first time i've ever seen one of those so don't take my word for it.

What are those strange raised surfaces near the eagle's(?) head?

I couldn't find an image of the peso to play with, but I believe you have the 1956 peso with the front of a building on the reverse. The lines on your coin seem to align with the base of the building and the bottom of the doors? I could be wrong without having the coin to inspect, but I still think it looks line an artifact of a clashed die. You might want to superimpose an image of the reverse over the obverse to see if the marks align.

A clashed die would account for the lack of strenght on the strike there due to the lack of metal available to strike up fully. Are those lines near the bird's head raised or sunk? If it's a clashed die they should be sunk in due to the metal being sucked into the other die upon striking. (Or so my experience with British coins showing ghosting illustrates anyhow)

... weak and flat on the high points (if it was wear it shouldn't have that much lustre!).

Exactly what aroused my suspicion. At first I though it might have been dipped, but when I saw that flake-like area, I began to think it was even worse.

What are those strange raised surfaces near the eagle's(?) head?

I wish I new! There are other areas like that also.

Best thing you can do with these coins of yours is to weight them and check against what they should weigh. Probably the best determining factor when it comes to circumstances like these.

If the weight is light by a gram or so, then they are fakes. If the weight is more or less spot on then it is more likely than not that the coins are genuine but struck using dirty or damaged dies at the very end of their life cycle.

Best thing you can do with these coins of yours is to weight them and check against what they should weigh. Probably the best determining factor when it comes to circumstances like these.

If the weight is light by a gram or so, then they are fakes. If the weight is more or less spot on then it is more likely than not that the coins are genuine but struck using dirty or damaged dies at the very end of their life cycle.

I'm thinking China myself.

Although as you point out very worn dies can make coins look like this. Sometimes it can be tough to tell from a photo, but the weight should sort it for you.

The scale is on the way! :ninja:

Exactly what aroused my suspicion. At first I though it might have been dipped, but when I saw that flake-like area, I began to think it was even worse.

That could be from a die breaking up though in it's dying breaths. Although you'd need an error person to diagnose something like that.

I just finished reading on the web the newest book about fake coins (german)

It looks like the majority of the fakes are prooflike with microscratches because they polished the coins after pouring them in a centrifuge like contraption

(lost wax process and then pouring and augmenting the density buy having a motor swing the mold like a centrifuge )

Weight and composition may be right but this process leaves a coin that is slightly shrunk in diameter and it has to be polished

The polishing was done to hide the somewhat uneven surfaces but let microscopic lines

http://www.moneytrend.at/wmf/index.html

Are you sure these coins were not lacquered/laminated? It looks an excess of wax/lacquer to me... :ninja:

Jose :lol:

Bought three coins. I was excited to get them until.... :cry:

I am guessing either plated or painted.

Very large pics!

Flaking

Uneven surface

Even unnatural shine

There was also another coin with a similar "look" but without the flaking.

The third coin was ok fortunately.

Without the coin in hand and making photographs of exactly the same size, I can't be sure about the clashed dies. However, in working with your photographs, the features in the field align with the reverse design. The pattern is not an exact match, but its close (hence the problem in not having the coin in hand). I photographed one of my coins with clashed dies as an example. The coin, a Weimar Republic 1923 200 Mark aluminum follows:

909059.jpg

Note the traces of the clashed dies on either side of the eagle's head. To align the reverse and obverse dies, the reverse die must be properly rotated (in this case medal alighment) and flipped horizontal to reproduce the dies in oppostion to one another. Superimposing one over the other, you can see where the raised imagery from the reverse die created the image in the field on the obverse die,

clashed_die.jpg

Yes Bill but doesn't clashed dies create a subsidence look on the eagle side? If metal has flowed away from the eagle side and into the side with the 200 on, then the marks on the eagle side are slightly incuse.

In Sisu's case the bumps next to the bird's head are actually raised up in relief, if it had been a case of clashed dies then they would be incuse.

I believe i'm right to think that?

Yes Bill but doesn't clashed dies create a subsidence look on the eagle side? If metal has flowed away from the eagle side and into the side with the 200 on, then the marks on the eagle side are slightly incuse.

In Sisu's case the bumps next to the bird's head are actually raised up in relief, if it had been a case of clashed dies then they would be incuse.

I believe i'm right to think that?

Yes, I agree. I stand corrected. The reverse of the Columbian piece has little in the way of flat fields, and the varying texture (relief) is somewhat different from a traditional coin die. Depending on how hard they struck and how the metal flowed, I'm assuming it could create some unevenness in how it impacted the obverse die. But, on further reflection, I agree that it is unlikely.

That leaves fake as a more likely explanation.

Archived