CoinPeople.com

Did someone tell me I would get hooked?

Dads Stuff

It needs to stop right now!!!. I don't know who is putting subliminal messages in their posts, but they better knock it off!! I am resisting your messages. Every time I open the safe to get the coins out, I start chanting " I do not and do not want to collect coins". Every time I work on posting a list of coins to sell, I chant "I can not keep these coins"and usually end up putting the coins back in the safe. Some times, I just get them out and spread them out on the table and admire them. Then I chant "I am not becoming addicted". :lol:

I find that I am developing a fondness for cents, nickles and dimes. I am starting to script future conversations with my siblings justifying that if I can sell all the Peace and Morgan dollars, I could keep the AU+ dime collection (1916 through 1988, 80%); the AU+ nickle collection (1938 thru 1988, 100%) and the AU+ cent collection (1934 thru 1988, 100%). Sort of trick them into the theory that silver dollars are high value coins and I am only thinking about nickles, dimes and pennies. I think about breaking up the sets and about all the work that went into putting them together in the first place and start feeling queasy. :ninja:

Did someone warn me this would happen?

:lol: Kinda hits you like a blow to the gut, huh? I think it's wonderful. I'm a believer of passing these things down. I hope your siblings are cool with it.

Welcome to the wonderful world of coin collecting!

:ninja:

Me too Linda :lol: I originally started looking up some old coins I had just for the heck of it. That was one bag of assorted world coins, plus a few old ones from family. Now... a year later... I have a binder full of carded Canadian coins, a binder of carded American coins (busting at the seams, need another binder) and a LARGE variety of other world coins and approx. 100 carded variety/error coins. As soon as I get home from work I log in to see what the wonderful world of Coin peeps has to say or show and end up spending what I call "spare time" at this... my second home. I only wanted to see what kind of coins I had and their worth... and so it goes... on and on and on. Just say no! :ninja: Ya right!

Just wait 'til you discover world coins ... :ninja:

That's sorta what happened to me. I'd always been interested in coins, though US only. I found this place when after I received a pile of world coins from my father's "estate". I couldn't identify some so I came on here. I've never left and now I run the place. :ninja: Now I collect more world than US. :lol:

As soon as I get home from work I log in to see what the wonderful world of Coin peeps has to say or show and end up spending what I call "spare time" at this... my second home.

I log on at 5:30 every morning and most times don't log off until about midnight. CP is always running in the background, so I check in often to see what everyone is talking about. One of the advantages of being retired.

Yep, every time I see you selling some, I wonder why you don't just get the albums, and put them away. It is addictive, and you could always justify it with the reasoning, that every year the price/coin seems to go up. By the time your teenagers get to be adults you may have a small fortune :lol:

Have fun, and let me know if you want any of the coins I have bought back. Not sure that I would sell them back, but let me know anyway :ninja:

Yep, every time I see you selling some, I wonder why you don't just get the albums, and put them away. It is addictive, and you could always justify it with the reasoning, that every year the price/coin seems to go up. By the time your teenagers get to be adults you may have a small fortune :lol:

Have fun, and let me know if you want any of the coins I have bought back. Not sure that I would sell them back, but let me know anyway :ninja:

I will still have stuff to entice you with. Keep on checking that "Want to Sell" section.

I'm not addicted, I'm dedicated!!!

Sure you are. :ninja: Kind of like being dedicated to chemical substances! It's just as addictive. Thank God it's not harmful. Welcome to the world of collecting.

I think it's cool! :ninja:

Here is where I started:

gallery_6_11_76925.jpg

...simple enough for a child but very addictive even for adults. :lol:

Sir, I think this is the one that did me in. I took it to the coin shop and he told me it was trash!! I think it is truly a beautiful coin. Fingerprint and all.

fingerprint2.JPG

I started at my grandmothers house one summer when I was 10 years old. She lived on the Oregon coast, remote at that time and had a big box of pennies. She bought a penny album and I filled a good number of holes (lots of d and s on the west coast--no 1909s, but 1910 on). That got me hooked.

My dad had a service station and the CPA next door was a coin collector. He took me to the local coin club and helped focus my interests on developing collecting strategies. He sponsored my application to the ANA in 1968. I was 18.

I've written articles for the Numismatist, World Coins, and TAMS. I received the ANA Young Numismatist award after publishing my first article in the Numismatist. I co-authored a catalog that TAMS published and won the Mishler Exonumia cataloging gold medal (Hitler medals). I received a Heath award for another article with the same co-author (Stone Mountain halves). My co-author and I met via the mail because of shared interests after I published my first Numismatist article. We didn't meet face-to-face until after working together for 15 years. The common interest in numismatics forged a strong friendship despite many years difference in age and living on opposite coasts.

Economics, young kids, stressed by budget, and a divorce kept me out of collecting from 1988 to 2000, but a lot of material lingered in the closets and I always looked at neat stuff. I was contacted one day by someone who tracked me down and wanted to buy something I owned from the catalog I wrote for their personal collection. He wanted a medal previously owned by the catalog authors. The medal he wanted, I didn't want to sell, then I realized he would enjoy it and I had it just sitting in a closet.

I sold it and thought, why not buy another coin more in line with my current interests. Big mistake or lucky break? I realized how much pleasure I derived from collecting coins and I'm back in. It never truly leaves the blood. You're hooked. Enjoy it.

Archived