CoinPeople.com

Notgeld ID Help

Art

I bet that's a "K", Art.

Check the seal at the obverse, what's the word in the bottom of the seal?

Tried that still looked like an R to me. But I bet it's really a K.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tried that still looked like an R to me. But I bet it's really a K.

Well, the seal has uppercase "Latin" characters only - including a K. :ninja: Köln is what you call Cologne in English. The Lord Mayor whose signature you can see on the note is a famous one, by the way: Konrad Adenauer, who later became the very first Chancellor (chief of government) of the Federal Republic of Germany.

The guy in the funny uniform is possiby a Roter Funke, nowadays (and then) primarily a Karneval organization. http://www.rote-funken.de/ The building in the background could be the old City Hall, but I am not sure about that.

Christian

Austria uses hellers, right? Germany doesn't?

Right. On German Notgeld (notes or coins) from the early1920s you would see "Mark" and "Pfennig"; for Austrian pieces of that time it would be "Krone(n)" and "Heller".

For details ... post pix. :ninja:

Christian

I too have had a few lost evenings in trying to decipher the darned notes. My latest attempt was at a Low German Dictionary: http://www.mennolink.org/doc/lg/ but it was of no use with the notes I was working with. I have tried online translations in Low German, High German, Dutch, but have not had a good success rate with those from Germany. The Austrian ones were simpler, as I guess they had fewer dialects, but I really don't know. :ninja:

One guess I have is that as they were printed locally, then the dialects were likely containing colloquialisms (sp?) and those may not be in the dictionaries. I used to work with a guy from Taiwan and English was his 4th language, adn he would get stumped on some terms a lot - they just made no sense the first time he heard them. Imagine trying to look up Ya'll, howdy-do!, or "I gotta' get me a mess o' them greens" in a dictionary - - I think that's where some of them are lacking. My latest purchases were surprising as they had a company name on them that I thought was something else.... I would never have found out if I hadn't just plain typed it into google and had it come up - Still in business!

I think I'm on year 2 with "Wat Mutt, Dat Mutt" - My guess is that it is something like 'what must be done will be done', but I have no real idea. ;)

It is also very hard to read the older german script in some of them. I was discussing this with a friend of mine whose mother is from Germany, and he said that she never learned the old script, but that his grandmother can read it with ease. I might take him up on an offer to have him get her to try her hand at some of my more difficult ones.

I think I'm on year 2 with "Wat Mutt, Dat Mutt" - My guess is that it is something like 'what must be done will be done', but I have no real idea.  :ninja:

Well, that's pretty much what it means.

It's a german dialect, that comes close to Dutch.

In Dutch, it would say:

"wat moet, dat moet"

It is also very hard to read the older german script in some of them.

The old printed types (Schwabacher, Fraktur) are not that difficult to read, I think, except for a few characters that are either unknown in English or just look weird - see the capital S and K in the note from Cologne that Art posted. What is kind of tough are the "Gothic" (Kurrent, Sütterlin) handwriting styles used until the early 1940s ...

Christian

The old printed types (Schwabacher, Fraktur) are not that difficult to read, I think, except for a few characters that are either unknown in English or just look weird - see the capital S and K in the note from Cologne that Art posted. ...

Or the "S" that looks like a "G".

Look at the following candy box. Despite what you may see, it reads Sisu. That "G" is an "S" and that "f" is an "s".

Sisu candy

Or the "S" that looks like a "G".

Yep, the same S as in "Stadt" in the (now gone) note above ... Kind of odd, by the way, that the nazi government continued to use Fraktur on the coins even after it had officially been branded "Jewish" by them.

Christian

Yep, the same S as in "Stadt" in the (now gone) note above ... Kind of odd, by the way, that the nazi government continued to use Fraktur on the coins even after it had officially been branded "Jewish" by them.

Christian

Note is back. I had to move it to my Notgeld folder and that changes the address.

Thanks, Art. See how the capital S in "Stadt" (on your note) and in "Sisu" (on the candy box) looks like a "G"? About as confusing as the K looking like an R. Sure, if one sees an uppercase G right next to an uppercase S, it is relatively easy to tell the difference. But I assume it's a little more difficult anyway without knowing the language and thus the possible context ...

Don't have any notgeld bills myself, but I have a post card with a note from Cologne. (Lived there for a couple of years.) Face value "Hundert Billionen Mark". Which in US English would be 100,000 billion marks. Whew. :ninja:

Christian

Both are from Austria, but the first one seems to be a donation receipt rather than Notgeld. It was issued by an organization that wanted Austria to be a part of Germany - an idea which after the lost WW1 was kind of popular at least in some parts of Austria.

The obverse shows Germany (which according to these people would include Austria) as a boat, and a poem written by Emmanuel Geibel:

"Wer da fährt nach großem Ziel,

lern' am Steuer ruhig sitzen,

unbekümmert, wenn am Kiel

Lob und Tadel hochauf spritzen."

Which basically means that, if you have a major goal, pursue it and stay calm no matter whether you are praised or criticized.

To be continued ...

Christian

The second one is a "cash voucher" from Seekirchen; the reverse actually says that it was issued to fight the lack of small change. The town issues vouchers up to a limit of 40,000 crowns which will, at the end of the year (1920), be exchanged into legal tender cash. The issue of these voucher is covered or backed; don't know the correct English terms but it means that the financial basis of these vouchers is solid ...

Christian

• 3 months later...

Well gang, I've scanned some more notgeld and will post some here for help with ID and information. Thanks in advance.

ndeAustria30Heller31Jan1921Rev-vi.jpg

ndeAustria30Heller31Jan1921obv-vi.jpg

Updated -- Thanks to T_3 for the info.

Obverse

Kassenschein über Dreißig Heller

Marktgemeinde Telfs

Giltig bis 31. Jänner 1921

Der Bürgermeister:

Visebürgerm.:

Kassier:

Reverse

7. Auflage

Wagner Innsbruck

Cash note for thirty heller

Market town Telfs

Valid until 31st of January 1921

The Mayor:

Deputy Mayor:

Cashier:

7th edition

Wagner Innsbruck

Wagner Innsbruck seems to me the printer of the note. They could be this company

On the site of Telfs, click "virt. Rundgang"

Thank you for the information. That's a beautiful town and the mountains in the distance are magnificent.

Can anyone tell me anything about this note. I believe it's from a town in Austria called Stein. I may be misreading though.

einAustria10Heller01Oct1920Obv-vi.jpg

einAustria10Heller01Oct1920Rev-vi.jpg

Archived