Notgeld ID Help

Art

Stein an der Donau.

Seems to be a part of the city Krems an der Donau

Krems_2004.jpg

Those two towers look very familiar :lol:

The obverse says:

Notgeld der Gemeinde Stein a.d. D.

Emergency money of the Municipality Stein a.d. D.

The smaller text left and right of the image I can't figure out what it says. :ninja:

Reverse:

Kassenschein der Stadtgemeinde Stein a. D. über 10 Heller

Cash note of the city municipality Stein a. D. for 10 heller

Again, the smaller print I can't read, can't recognize enough characters in this font to recognize the words.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the German text I can read, but don't ask me to translate it word by word. :ninja:

(left) Die Gemeinde Stein haftet für diese Verbindlichkeit mit -> text is continued on the right

Stein a.D., 9. April 1920

Bürgmst. (signature of the mayor)

(right)

<- cont'd ihrem ganzen beweglichen u. unbeweglichen Vermögen

(signature of the deputy mayor) V.Bürgm.

(signature of some town council person) G.GemRat

... and on the other side ...

Zur Linderung der Kleingeldnot gibt die Stadtgemeinde Stein a.D. unverzinsliche Kassenscheine im Betrage von 100 000 Kronen aus. Sie werden von der Gemeinde Stein bis 1. Oktober 1920 in Zahlung genommen und in der Zeit vom 16. bis 30. September 1920 gegen persönliche Vorweisung an der Gemeindekasse im gesetzlichen Bargeld eingelöst.

Die Nachahmung wird gesetzlich bestraft.

Christian

Stein an der Donau.

Seems to be a part of the city Krems an der Donau

Krems_2004.jpg

What a pretty town. Thank you for your help.

Well, the German text I can read, but don't ask me to translate it word by word.  :ninja:

(left) Die Gemeinde Stein haftet für diese Verbindlichkeit mit -> text is continued on the right

Stein a.D., 9. April 1920

Bürgmst. (signature of the mayor)

(right)

<- cont'd ihrem ganzen beweglichen u. unbeweglichen Vermögen

(signature of the deputy mayor) V.Bürgm.

(signature of some town council person) G.GemRat

... and on the other side ...

Zur Linderung der Kleingeldnot gibt die Stadtgemeinde Stein a.D. unverzinsliche Kassenscheine im Betrage von 100 000 Kronen aus. Sie werden von der Gemeinde Stein bis 1. Oktober 1920 in Zahlung genommen und in der Zeit vom 16. bis 30. September 1920 gegen persönliche Vorweisung an der Gemeindekasse im gesetzlichen Bargeld eingelöst.

Die Nachahmung wird gesetzlich bestraft.

Christian

Thank you. The best I can get out of it, is something about secured by the City of Stein and some details like redemption amount and dates and total issued. Also a prohibition against copying. More than I need for my purposes.

• 3 months later...

I have this note in my Notgeld collection and was wondering if anyone could translate it and/or give me some info about it. I do not know what it is but I like it.

Dontknow2kronenobv-vi.jpg

Dontknow2kronenrev-vi.jpg

I have looked at a number of websites that have notgeld info and have not found anything similar. Please include any web ref info that may help me with this and other notes in the future. I really do like to do my own research but I'm stumped.

The obverse shows some kind of dragon that with each of its claws holds a German flag. At the top it says "Südmark Donation", below "To the brethren in the threatened land / warm feeling heart, helping hand!" Or so.

The other side is a long list of that organization's goals ... Association of Germans for the preservation of their ethnicity (or maybe national identity?) domestically and abroad, blah blah.

The Südmarkbund aims at the preservation of Germandom abroad, particularly in the South Slavic state, in Italy, Hungary, Romania and Czecho-Slovakia. It wants to fight for the right of self-determination of all Germans who suffer (the term "vergewaltigten" is usually used for rape) from the treaty of St-Germain. It aims at making "German Austria" part of Germany, and the union of all Germans in central Europe in one country.

Other goals are a link of German West Hungary and German Austria, the monolinguality of German Austria, and the renovation of our nation, threatened by moral decline, through education on an Aryan basis.

Well well well.

Christian

Tabbs...thanks I had no idea about this. I'll keep it with my notgeld for Austria because I don't really have any other place to put it.

That is not actually Notgeld but a donation receipt. Apparently it was issued in Austria before 1925, by some organization that promoted "Germandom" in the neighboring countries. More later. :ninja:

Christian

I think it was issued shortly after peace treaty in 1919, because of its small value (2 Kronen). After this period, inflation began... and until 1924 10000 kronen were like one old Austro-Hungarian silver krone. Very interesting the nationalist message, fertil soil prepared for Nazism...

I like and the last words: Donation ticket No. 8, 2 Kronen in four colours! That's new for me!

I don't know if this applies to your donation receipt, but it might. In the political upheaval that follwed World War I, a number of small political parties were formed, some fairly violent in their strong arm tactics. Their ability to raise funds directly was limited by laws designed to control their influence and intimidation at political rallies. How then does one go about raising funds without running afoul of the law (often military intelligence officers, not just police looking over your shoulder)? You sell things. Postcards, donation receipts, donation tokens, etc. In this instance, not only did you collect money, you sent a tangible reminder of the party's views home with the donor. The illustration is fancy enough that they are likely to keep it around.

As I say, this may be off the mark for your kronen, but I think its fairly close to what the item likely represents.

Archived