CoinPeople.com

Notgeld ID Help

Art

I recently purchased a bunch of notes and I don't know anything about them. I'd like to put them into Banknote. Can someone fill me in on this one and perhaps tell me where I can find the info online to do the research myself. Thanks.

eegenAustria10Hellers11Apr1920-vi.jpgenAustria10Hellers11Apr1920rev-vi.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Altenau is a small town in the Western Harz, in the German state of Lower Saxony. Apart from that, I can once again only tell you what I see in the picture ...

That note (or coupon) was issued in May 1921 and expired in November 1921. Guess that thing with the bear claws (?) is the CoA. On the left, three women called Altenauer Klatschweiber - "Old gossips from Altenau". :ninja: On the right it says "Schi Heil" (skiers greeting, wishing him/her luck and success) and "Bahn frei" which means Go Ahead but also Out of the Way.

The other side is a winter scenery (duh ...) with two lines that sort of rhyme: "Winter Friends, Man and Woman / Come skiing in Altenau". Well, "Schneeschuh" actually means snowshoe, so Schneeschuh-Lauf would be snow shoe run. But that is not what is depicted ...

Christian

(Edit: Friends, not Joy.)

Altenau is a small town in the Western Harz, in the German state of Lower Saxony. Apart from that, I can once again only tell you what I see in the picture ...

That note (or coupon) was issued in May 1921 and expired in November 1921. Guess that thing with the bear claws (?) is the CoA. On the left, three women called Altenauer Klatschweiber - "Old gossips from Altenau". ;)  On the right it says "Schi Heil" (skiers greeting, wishing him/her luck and success) and "Bahn frei" which means Go Ahead but also Out of the Way.

The other side is a winter scenery (duh ...) with two lines that sort of rhyme: "Winter Joys, Man and Woman / Come skiing in Altenau". Well, "Schneeschuh" actually means snowshoe, so Schneeschuh-Lauf would be snow shoe run. But that is not what is depicted ...

Christian

Thank you. I used your info on my album on fotki. I gave you credit for the info. Hope that's ok. I'll do the same on Banknote.

:ninja:

I always liked the winter scene on that one.  Tabbs could probably tell you a lot more of what that says than I can.

I agree. The winter scene is terrific. These notes are really neat. I like the color schemes and most of the images are pretty neat. I'm looking for a source of info for id'ing the notes. Anyone have any suggestions?

I'll try the ANA Library early in the week.

This was the one I had, but... it wasn't the greatest. There weren't a lot of pictures, but it really did help with identifying what the pieces were.

http://www.alibris.com/search/search.cfm?q...3gambpgWbQ0IDMA

How's about some help on this one too. 

That one is tougher because the text on the back (lower image) is not in standard German but a local version of Plattdeutsch (Low German) ...

Ahaus is in North Rhine Westphalia, Germany, near the Dutch city of Enschede. Hermann Landois studied theology but was also a scientist, and founded the zoo in Münster as well as a Cats Haters Club. ;) That motto below the monument says something like:

A long pipe full of Oldenkott (a tobacco brand then made in Ahaus) is more than a thousand years of honor and fame. Aoltbeer (some kind of beer) in the pot, that is and stays the real thing.

And "De Smöker" ... again, Low German. Guess you can guess what it means. :ninja:

Christian

Thank you. I used your info on my album on fotki.

Fine, just note that "Winterfreunde" is "winter friends". I must have overlooked the N first. And of course I don't want people to say "Ha, that idiot has no clue about German!" :ninja:

(By the way, when I write about Altenau being in Lower Saxony, etc., that refers to where these places are now. At the time when those notes were issued, they may have been Prussian or whatever ...)

Christian

Fine, just note that "Winterfreunde" is "winter friends". I must have overlooked the N first. And of course I don't want people to say "Ha, that idiot has no clue about German!"  :ninja:

(By the way, when I write about Altenau being in Lower Saxony, etc., that refers to where these places are now. At the time when those notes were issued, they may have been Prussian or whatever ...)

Christian

Thank you. The Winter Friends has been changed.

Well. go all north then to Ost-Friesland and hang out for a couple of years there :ninja:

Oh, and one note: Frisian is not a dialect, but an official language. In fact, it's the oldest Germanic language still being used.

It's the second official language here in the netherlands and all official documents in Friesland, the province where I live are bilingual, just as place name signs etc.:

plaatsnaam11.jpg

That one is tougher because the text on the back (lower image) is not in standard German but a local version of Plattdeutsch (Low German) ... 

Art, I like languages, and I had about eight years of German in school, from the 7th grade through college -- in fact, my first class before the 7th grade was at a college -- but I find Notgeld a bit of a challenge. If you are going in for these in a big way, you might want to learn some German, and get a dictionary and grammar. Even a class in conversational German for tourists would be helpful.

Never having been in Germany, however, I would not have understood "Bahn frei!" unless it was explained. I would have guessed it was for a free railroad pass.

Art, I like languages, and I had about eight years of German in school, from the 7th grade through college -- in fact, my first class before the 7th grade was at a college -- but I find Notgeld a bit of a challenge. If you are going in for these in a big way, you might want to learn some German, and get a dictionary and grammar. Even a class in conversational German for tourists would be helpful.

Never having been in Germany, however, I would not have understood "Bahn frei!" unless it was explained. I would have guessed it was for a free railroad pass.

I've tried using a few online translators on some of the text but haven't had much success. A German translation dictionary is a good idea. I think I can borrow one from the local library. I'm also going to contact the ANA Library folks and get a few good books on Notgeld. There's one by Cotter - I think that's supposed to be one of the most complete.

I ordered the Coffer book on Notgeld from the ANA Library. I'll let you all know how much hlep it is when it arrives. (I do love the ANA Library. Their new website search and print book info section is excellent.)

Here's the link to an interesting article about NotGeld by Coffer. A longish read but worth it if you have any interest at all.

Courtney Coffing Notgeld Article.

Here's another note that I could use some help with. I can find a city called Koln when I search on google, but nothing named Roln. I'm guessing I'm just not reading the script properly. Any help, please?

Roln50pfennig12Jan1922obv-vi.jpg

Roln50pfennig12Jan1922rev-vi.jpg

Thanks.

Archived