CoinPeople.com

USPS Rates increase

Art

It's been kind of low-key, but US postal rates are going up on January 8th. Mail those Christmas "Thank You" cards early. Regular First Class goes from .37 to .39.

Thanks for the warning!

It took a bit of clicking, but I found it in less than one minute:

http://www.usps.com/ratecase/welcome.htm

New Domestic Prices Effective January 8, 2006

The Governors of the U.S. Postal Service voted November 14 to accept the Postal Rate Commission's recommendation to increase most rates and fees by approximately 5.4 percent.

This price increase – the first since 2002 – is needed to fulfill a federal law passed in 2003 that requires the Postal Service to place $3.1 billion in an escrow account by October 1, 2006. Without this federal mandate, it would not have been necessary to raise prices in 2006. Among the adjustments, the 1 ounce single-piece rate for First-Class Mail will increase from 37 cents to 39 cents, and the postcard rate will increase by one cent, to 24 cents.

The Board of Governors set Sunday, January 8, 2006, as the effective date for the new rates and fees.

Following are selected rate and fee changes:

Rate Current Jan. 8

First-Class Mail Letter (1 oz.)

37¢ 39¢

First-Class Mail Letter (2 oz.)

60¢ 63¢

Postcard

23¢ 24¢

Priority Mail (1 lb.) and Flat Rate Envelope

$3.85 $4.05

POSTAL CARDS AND POSTCARDS

Canada & Mexico $0.55

Other Countries 0.75

AIRMAIL LETTER-POST

Weight not over (ozs.) Group 1 Group 2 Group 3 Group 4 Group 5

1 $0.63 $0.63 $0.84 $0.84 $0.84

2 0.90 0.90 1.70 1.80 1.65

Group 1 is most of the North Atlantic sector of the globe and its dependencies.

I read an article on MSN that said there would likely be another rate increase next year too!  :ninja:  ;)

Regardless of the rate increases, I think that normal First Class mail withing the US is one of lifes great bargains. Actually I'll throw in normal airmail to Canada and Mexico as well.

:ninja: And, of course, not a 2 cent stamp to be found at my post office.

i got mine last week. there was a line at the post awful going out the door, so i went to the machine. the machine is supposed to sell at face value, and they have prepackaged stamps ... it said it had packets of 40 $0.02 stamps for $0.80, so i bought two packets. when i got home i learnt the packets had 20 $0.02 stamps (so i didn't get half of what i expected to get).

of course, going back to the post office and waiting in the long line for $0.80 just isn't gonna happen ...

Archived