CoinPeople.com

Manchurian Doubled Die - BIG TIME!

dacoinman

This is a SWEET Chinese - Manchurian Province Doubled die that just blew my socks off when I saw it on eBay weeks ago! I don't have the KM# or the Y# for it right now (at work), but I do have access to the pics and well, I know you guys like pics....as do I! LOL So without any further adu I present unto you the SWEET doubled die (Sweet is said like the dude in the Dodge Hemi Commercials....LOL)

Dscn1820.jpg

Dscn1823.jpg

She fits so ever nicely into my personal collection. :ninja:

Yeah you look at it long enough it makes you double check your vision. Atleast it does on me.

Thanks for the compliments. AAnd just a curiousity......there's such a thing as double eagles......is this a double dragon then? LMAO

hmmm I see what you mean and good eye...but the other side is fine, how can you get a one-sided double strike? Are the denticles on the hub?

Oh, but this is NOT a doubled strike or a MDD. This is a true to form DOUBLED DIE. This is where the working die was given one initial impression, and then found to be not good enough to strike coijs with yet, and they rehubbed it. So the Doubling will be on EVERY coin that is struck by that die. Which means that whenever someone noticed, at the Chinese mint that this die was doubled and then usually removed this fubar, and pulled the die, any coins that die struck will show the doubling. And the total number of this variety will be dependant upon upon when someone finally decided to pull the die from use. I'm REAL groggy, so if none of this makes sense, I APPOLOGIZE WHOLE-HEARTEDLY!!!

Oh, but this is NOT a doubled strike or a MDD. This is a true to form DOUBLED DIE. This is where the working die was given one initial impression, and then found to be not good enough to strike coijs with yet, and they rehubbed it. So the Doubling will be on EVERY coin that is struck by that die. Which means that whenever someone noticed, at the Chinese mint that this die was doubled and then usually removed this fubar, and pulled the die, any coins that die struck will show the doubling. And the total number of this variety will be dependant upon upon when someone finally decided to pull the die from use. I'm REAL groggy, so if none of this makes sense, I APPOLOGIZE WHOLE-HEARTEDLY!!!

No need to apologize. What you describe agrees with my general understanding of hub doubling. Where the 'hub die' refers to the die that is used to make the 'coin dies'. The 'coin dies' are used to strike the blank planchets to make the actual coins. So, if the hub die strikes twice (with some kind of offset), the resulting 'coin die' will have doubled features and produce coins with doubling.

That's why I asked if there were others out there - I would expect some other identical coins to be out there (it's possible that none survived etc...)

So, the denticles are actually on the 'hub die' and not part of the collar assembly? I guess they would have to be - huh?

In any event, a very spectacular piece.

Archived