CoinPeople.com

Coins in books and Films

Ætheling

And now...my all time favorite reference to a coins in all of motion pictures comes from Mr. Scrooge in "A Christmas Carol"

"Come back with the man, and I'll give you a shilling. Come back with him in less than five minutes and I'll give you half-a-crown."

Not a film or book, but The $100,000 Nickel (11-Dec-1973) episode of Hawaii 5-O that used one of the actual 1913 Liberty nickels.

After rereading the first post I guess this doesn't fall into that catagory since the nickel is mentioned in the title...sorry.

In one of Elvis Presley's many forgetable movies, "Frankie and Johnny", Elvis plays a riverboat singer who is constantly losing his pay at the tables. In one scene, he giving Harry Morgan [Joe Friday's partner, Gannon, or to younger folk, Col. Potter on M*A*S*H] $25 which consists of a woodchopper US note and a blue seal FRBN and I can't remember the other note. OBTW, Elvis' love interest was played by Donna Douglas, "Ellie Mae' of the Beverly Hillbillies.

In "Last Man Standing" with Bruce Willis, there is a scene wherein a large sum of small sized nationals are blown into the air by an explosion. One note is seen clearly by the camera. IIRC, Tom Denly supplied the notes to the producers and, as a part of the deal, Denly's daughter appeared in the film.

the first willie wonka and the chocolate factory....charley finds a coin on the street ...and dang it !! i cant remember what happened or what kind of coin that was...ill have to rent it again .... :ninja:

during the boxing scene in Pearl Harbor, some guy is coaching cuba gooding jr. telling him he didn't want to go back to the Arizona empty handed. the stack of fives he's waving around look like hawaii imprints, even though the war didn't start yet and the notes weren't imprinted until 1942. its somewhere around 45mins 31 secs if someone wants to check on their dvds. :ninja:

• 2 years later...
In one (or more) of "Back to the Future" movies, the doc gives the kid some notes. $20s, I think, I don't really remember. There may had been coins invovled in at least one of the scenes.

I think they are contemporary notes. I remember being impressed when I saw them in the film.

My most disappointing coin moment in movies was the silver dollar that Two-Face flips in Batman Forever.

Instead of using an existing silver dollar design they made up their own ugly one.

Well, I should add that compared to everything else in Batman Forever the coin actually looks not too bad!! :ninja:

SPOILER ALERT for 'The Dark Knight':

This movie was good enough (and I'm bored enough) to see a second time and I liked even more (especially since I saw the first Quantum of Solace new James bond trailer!!).

Anywho, Harvey Dent uses a 1922 Peace dollar to flip.

Funny that not only Titanic, but also the "bribe" scene is mentioned.

The studio executives at Fox where forced to come to our wee village in Scotland and apologise for making our town hero (William McMaster Murdoch) look like a bribe-taking murdering coward! They offered us some kind of silver plate and a cash contribution to the fund created in Murcochs name.

Archived