CoinPeople.com

Ancient Coin Jewlery

2coins

Sure! I agree!, Some people have more money than sense and really dont care!I still wouldnt mind haveing one. :ninja:

I can't see why (if you had the money) you would have a preference for a jewellery piece over an unencumbered coin of the same or better grade (?)

These modern jewellery pieces always cost more than a `raw' coin. As such with the `difference' you could probably afford a higher grade coin.

If these pieces were made from damaged coins i'd have far less issue with them than I do. As it is, I think its a pretty poor way to treat 2,300+ year old coins. Just my humble opinion of course.

Ian

As it is, I think its a pretty poor way to treat 2,300+ year old coins.

For a variety of reasons surrounding my age-old username, Mercury (mercury@well.com, for instance, but many others), I was given a pair of Mercury Dime cufflinks, which are kept in the box, but never worn. When we lived in Albuquerque, I had one of the native crafters put holed (already holed) coins into necklaces for my wife and myself. So, I am guilty of this travesty, I confess.

That said, I find coin jewelry to be difficult to appreciate. Sometimes, living as I do in a cross-cultural complex, I will see a western Asian girl with some kind of little 1-filafil silver coins hanging from her ears, and I think that is cute. Gloria Peters and Cindy Mahon wrote the book on Liberty Nickels and one of them wore circulateds on a pendant. OK, she wrote the book, so I guess that allows her some display. But when I go to a coin show and see a dealer with a pinkie ring made from a Double Eagle, I know I am looking at a boor.

A pinkie ring made from a double eagle would be some serious bling. I sell frames for coins and framed coins. The bestseller is common date war years mercs framed in the small screwtop frames and attached to earring findings. It does no harm to the coin and makes rather cool looking earrings.

People love Peace dollars as watchfobs, keyfobs and belt buckles and young guys have been buying the common silver crowns I mount in rope edged bezels for pendants. Lots of people like the European gold coins such as 20 Franc Angels for pendants. What's the harm, really? The coins used in such jewelry are usually common date, and almost always has rim dings or nicks.

Coin rings are a different matter, though. Gold coins soon get worn slick in ring mountings and I consider that type of coin jewelry as the ruination of a nice gold coin.

BTW, does anyone fancy a cool charm bracelet of very small holed coins from 18th century spanish 1/4 reales, through British 3d and Canadian silver 5 cents, to a US half dime? I have one for sale. All the little silvers came to me already holed.

Interestingly, I don't object to cut-out mercury dime earrings since merc generally speaking are modern, and readily available in large quantities, often at melt or close to it in lower grades for the 1940s pieces. I mean, if one wasn't made into a piece of jewelery, what's to say that in might not have ended up in the melting pot?

Coins on pendants typically get worn, and for an ancient that survived 2000+ years in good shape to get worn due to carelessness, it's sad.

I think that the deciding factor for me is the rarity of the coin, but if you can afford it and want to do it, by all means have at it. There are a lot of gold pieces, both US and world, that are damaged on a rim or one side, even ones that were mounted and freed once already, that would make good jewelry- check Ebay or your local dealer.

I don't object to British spade guineas being holed as watch fobs, in fact i want one! There's that many of the blasted things out there.

It when coins with some historical merit that have survived centuries to be turned into jewelry recently is what i don't like. Ruining a coin that's lasted so well for over a thousand years just to make a profit on it. Stupid and pointless.

Now obviously a somwhat circulated 1798 guinea holed in 1846 and used as a watch fob ever since isn't going to be half as bad. If it was holed in say 2003 to use then maybe i'd be not as keen on the idea.

Coins minted after 1901 do what you like to them as far as i'm concerned they're not old enough for it to be a travesty or a shame.

The 'pierced' ( jeweler's term for sawing out a design in metal such as a coin) mercs are a common sight here. Jewelry students used to have to pierce a small silver coin such as a dime to demonstrate skill at piercing in classroom assignments. A bench jeweler used to set up his booth at our local county fair and pierce coins for customers for a fee, back in the '50s when I was a kid.

I don't object to British spade guineas being holed as watch fobs, in fact i want one! There's that many of the blasted things out there.

It when coins with some historical merit that have survived centuries to be turned into jewelry recently is what i don't like. Ruining a coin that's lasted so well for over a thousand years just to make a profit on it. Stupid and pointless.

Now obviously a somwhat circulated 1798 guinea holed in 1846 and used as a watch fob ever since isn't going to be half as bad. If it was holed in say 2003 to use then maybe i'd be not as keen on the idea.

Coins minted after 1901 do what you like to them as far as i'm concerned they're not old enough for it to be a travesty or a shame.

A relative of mine, some of their ancestors came over from Cornwall in 1878, has an 1877 Sovereign that is pierced at the top and looped. Apparently it was worn on a necklace as a souvenir of the old country. Incredibly we know whose coin this was. They also saved an 1862 Halfpenny which is still in their family.

I bought my love a 1901 Maundy set that had contemporaneously been made into a charm for a bracelet, it was her Maundy Thursday present in 2001.

I have My mom's 1943 Mexican Gold 1 Peso Ring

i Don't Like Coin Jewelry Myself but Well it's my mom

Are you sure it's a 1943 1 peso? There are no gold 1 pesos from modern Mexico, so such a coin would likely be one of many fantasy gold pieces.

Perhaps it's a 1945 2 1/2 peso?

Colin,

IIRC, the Mexican Gold coinage is such that a dos pesos [2 pesos] is the size and weight of a US $1 gold piece. Thus the 5 peso = a quarter eagle, the 10 peso = a half eagle and the 20 peso = an eagle.

So, in effect your mom's ring is a $1 gold piece...

Archived