CoinPeople.com

eBay watch

alexbq2

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately not... and it is driving me crazy!!! :elephant: I wrote to them, but no reply. This is absolutely ridiculous. They expect us to put all the years in now, but the thing is that the search engine has the character limit and all dates for Imperial Russia do not fit... :crazy: I tried! ... Write to them, the more complaints they receive the more chance they will do something about it. ... For now, I just scan all coins for (Russia,russian,russland) etc... They fail us again! How can their marketing do these changes without consultations with users? eBay management has always been a mystery to me and still is... This is stupid, but for now we stuck with spending 100's of hours more per month scanning through their list. I think I will take a break soon from that... Just chill at the beach and let all these worries wash off... ;) and then take my business somewhere else, if they don't want it... Until they start loosing money they will do whatever they want, I'm afraid.

I actually read their notice. The explanation was something like only 0.38% of queries use wild card characters, but take a disproportionate amount of processing power. So this was intentional and we're not getting it back. Instead they have implemented "intelligent" search. Now if you search for "Russian Coin" it will not just pull up items that have that in title but all items that are in Russian Coin category. So basically it is suppose to just giving you items in that category + whatever matches the title. Not sure that even works. Tried to play with it and noticed that the "Intelligent" search actually returns different number of results every time you run it. Giving up!

NO - I did NOT see it, :shock: must watch more carefully. I Probably wouldn't have got it anyway.

Sigi

Sigi, how about this one? Quite a few of Siberian 1767s can be found on eBay lately. :

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5574633083&toolid=10001&campid=5335826004&customid=&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229466&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg&icep_item=321025896371

Sigi, how about this one? Quite a few of Siberian 1767s can be found on eBay lately. :

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4abea26fb3

No, thank you, I got both 1767KMs (\\\\\\\\\\\\\) and (/////////////) edges, but still need the lettered edge. :drool:

So far I have shot in my own leg several times by driving prices up - as the underbidder, making the standard rise :wallbash:

(the market is becoming more and more transparent).

Sigi

-

I think this seller mixed up roubles with US dollars :shock:;) Nice try! I wish people were buying this at the price he is asking, I'd sell most of my coins in one go in that case without any back thoughts... :yes:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5574633083&toolid=10001&campid=5335826004&customid=&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229466&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg&icep_item=290816887558

I think this seller mixed up roubles with US dollars :shock:;) Nice try! I wish people were buying this at the price he is asking, I'd sell most of my coins in one go in that case without any back thoughts... :yes:

Well he is breaking the law by smuggling coins out of Russia. I guess the price is proportional to the risks involved! ;)

I agree my pictures on ebay absolutely horrible , but in another hand, I never tried to make look picture better than coin, this why I always have happy customers lol

flying Bostonian, friend of main, he is very nice guy .

Oh, Hi Irina, nice to see you joined, welcome! I bought from Flying_Bostonian long ago a few times, but in the last year or so, his prices went up so much. It is a credit to him. Maybe you can get him to help you with coin photographing, if you know him well enough? It is sad to see that some of your coins are misrepresented because of their picture quality. I understand that it is impractical and huge job to replace all pics, but it is a thought and at least some of your prized coins can do with better pics. After all, I bought that coin from you because I put it on watch with an old picture. I saw the other one later, after I bought the coin. Many, and I included, don't buy if they can not see the coin very well. I love both Siberian coins from you. ;) Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

1726 Novodel, or fake?

Dealer says it is Bitkin 357, but the Gorny & Mosch auction description, which is visible in the fourth picture, says "Vgl. Bitkin 357". Vgl. means "vergleichbar mit", or "similar to" Bitkin 357. Any time this is stated in an auction, it almost always means that the item is a modern novodel (=fake). They have to state that in order to cover their buttocks.

It also has traces of silver plating on it, according to the Gorny auction description. Now why would anyone want to silverplate a rare unique plate coin (unless it wasn't genuine)? :hysterical:

I agree, he has nice coins. Have a few of them in my watch list, they have done a few rounds without being sold. Prices are as they should be in ideal world, but we are imperfect and want to buy them a lot cheaper ;) I keep watching them in case prices drop. Can not comment on the plate coin much... it looks different from some of the plate coins I've seen, but similar, just as they said. It looks old to me though, so I believe it may be an old reproduction / counterfeit coin which is valuable only to collectors of old counterfeits. But it is difficult to be absolutely certain judging by pictures only.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't worry, be happy! ;) You can spend whole life chasing the crooks on eBay, but their supply is never ending. I did as you asked though, but I'd ruther discuss what's good or interesting is there on e-bay, it's not all so bad... I was even curious about how much these casted copies would fetch. :) I had a bad experience just recently on eBay myself, but I know I will get my money back as I always do when I am wronged. Actually, these days getting myself into situation like this makes me laugh to start with... It is a reminder to me that my overinflated Ego still gets in a way of my cold logic and can play tricks on me. Cheers!

I have a similar piece, but only one side. It has glue on the other side, so was probably some kind of exhibition piece. I wonder if one from Lanz is similar in make.

That's exactly what the description says (in German):

"Zinnabschlag von 1 Rubel 2 Dokumentenabschläge zusammengeklebt"

= Tin copy of 1 rouble, 2 exhibition pieces glued together. :)