CoinPeople.com

eBay watch

alexbq2

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

A little hard to look for coins, as they are mixed with literature. I like this one, have had it on my watch for a while:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RUSSIA-1731-DENGA-BITKIN-275-RARE-Anna-Ioannovna-1730-1740-/251255260668?pt=US_World_Coins&hash=item3a7ffb05fc

Only your pictures are too much into red and green which disturbs the perception somewhat, here is the picture after manual color correction:

still looks very nice and natural :)

nice coins but not "no reserve" as this usually means low start bid and coin will sell regardless of low bids or could go high with many bidders who want the coin.

Your Russian coins are "buy it now" which are fixed price. Nice and safe way for the seller to get a good price, but boring and not a challenge for buyers to get a bargain and have fun with bids.

A little hard to look for coins, as they are mixed with literature. I like this one, have had it on my watch for a while:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RUSSIA-1731-DENGA-BITKIN-275-RARE-Anna-Ioannovna-1730-1740-/251255260668?pt=US_World_Coins&hash=item3a7ffb05fc

Only your pictures are too much into red and green which disturbs the perception somewhat, here is the picture after manual color correction:

attachicon.gifpolushka 4 petals.jpg

still looks very nice and natural :)

Will add more images after Chicago Show

nice coins but not "no reserve" as this usually means low start bid and coin will sell regardless of low bids or could go high with many bidders who want the coin.

Your Russian coins are "buy it now" which are fixed price. Nice and safe way for the seller to get a good price, but boring and not a challenge for buyers to get a bargain and have fun with bids.

I'm always trying sell different ways. Agree most of eBay buyers existing bid coins with no reserve and possibility for seller received very low or high price special for coins.

In my experience most of the coins from eBay I buy with offer or buy it now because all the time busy and hard to find time for last minutes bid,some time auto bid (sniper)works better for me. But it just for me :).

• 2 weeks later...

How did you find out? Because there are 2 identical ones? They'll still have to work out a credible coloring.

I am about being scared away from collecting. Am I getting wise at last?

Sigi

-

Pretty much that's how I found out about it. What I do now is the following - when I find a nice, reasonably rare coin on eBay for a suspiciously low price for original and too high for a copy - I check if there are copies of these coins on "Russian e-Bay" - Molotok.ru ... Also, this seller's name is very suspicious, derived from something rude in Russian, telling me that the seller has little respect for buyer and low morals. But he is not the only one, lately I pulled myself a few times from bidding after checking against Molotok (means {auction} Hummer in Russian) where they actually sell them in a "copy" section for a reasonable price of up to $50, but usually much less.

It's very sad... One more example of how collecting coins in slabs may backfire at you... It's not much different from buying a double sided picture of the coin - you can see it, but you can not really examine it, unless you are prepared to discover that it is a fake, that you will not be able to resell later, simply loosing your money... I don't envy the person who is going to buy it...

Here is a picture from PCGS, the slab is real (at least), but damn expensive!

26754044_large.jpg

fake10kop1762.jpg

next to your picture... ;)

I must say that judging only by pictures (even without seeing the edge) I would say that I like this coin... But when you pay that much, not to hold it and not to inspect it properly would be dangerous...

Shall old acquaintance be forgot...? (Auld Long Syne).

No, it is back, now in Vienna, Austria, RAUCH auction. PCGS slabbed.

http://www.sixbid.com/browse.html?auction=903&category=18682&lot=860656

f31s.jpg

-

Looks like someone was shooting chewed up paper at it... their aim is not bad actually ;) ... Why are they selling it? It's a big enough target for practice... lol ... collectors of coin pictures should be happy to have it. Funny enough, real or not, it keeps selling. The power of the slab ch.gif

• 2 weeks later...

ebay became a place for selling fake coins, i was wondering why they dont listen to the professionals

There are still a lot of original coins on eBay, the list will be endless if to list here. They expect that the people that buy are the experts. With the volume of coins that are sold on eBay, policing them is a very tedious task, and a conflicting one as at times expertise is a matter of opinions. I kind of understand them giving up on controlling the space. Collectors should know their subject and if not happy return the coin back to the seller. So the smartest thing is for people to discuss problematic objects on forums before buying...

• 1 month later...

Yep this was a galvano, I returned it.

• 3 months later...

Nice coin sale... I can not comment much on the sale price, but if someone paid the price, it must be worth it... Is this one of a rare variety? A problem with eBay nowadays - it is overcrowded by some cheap low quality specimens, just like on russian al'a ebay - molotok.ru ... It's hard to go over a large volume of what is being offered in order to find one little treasure, and once people find it, they may go for it as mad. But as a seller, how do you attract the right buyer on eBay, I have very little idea... Sometimes interesting coins were bought by me for a fraction of their real price. So, it is hard to sell your coins well if you don't know how. And certainly buy-it-now doesn't excite as much as low start...

• 2 weeks later...