CoinPeople.com

Wow another Pope "scam" coin?

gxseries

Who wants the coin with a fingerprint on it ?  :ninja:

Hey, it's not some fingerprint, it's his fingerprint! ;) Well, these days, with the World Youth Day around here and the Pope attending (the final service on the Marienfeld near Cologne is still in full swing), many "papal" souvenirs sell pretty well around here. As usual, some are neat, some are not ...

Christian

Q:  Hi, how are you?! What is so special about this coin? Especially since it's just a man who gave it to you? What is your proof that this man's fingerprint is on it, besides yours of course, Thanks for your time in advance.
Aug-19-05

A:  Hello! To me it goes well and even? The new pope Benedikt personally from his hand in my hand has given the coin to me. This is special and valuable in it. The coin was blessed before by the pope! Thanks once again for her inquiry. Still nice ebay time. guenstiger-de

HAHAHA, his broken english makes me laugh.

-Bobby

Q:  Hi, how are you?! What is so special about this coin? Especially since it's just a man who gave it to you? What is your proof that this man's fingerprint is on it, besides yours of course, Thanks for your time in advance.
Aug-19-05

A:  Hello! To me it goes well and even? The new pope Benedikt personally from his hand in my hand has given the coin to me. This is special and valuable in it. The coin was blessed before by the pope! Thanks once again for her inquiry. Still nice ebay time. guenstiger-de

-Bobby

I have translated for an amerian friend in spanish back and forth

after he and a Spaniard tried to use a translation program

This sort of broken english is standard for Babelfish

Try and go back and forth two times and you will be amazed at the kind of gibberish these translation programs will produce

You know, there actually are people in this world whose native/primary language is not English. :ninja:

As for "Pope coins", well, I will try and get this year's €2 commem from the Vatican, dedicated to the WYD and featuring Cologne Cathedral. That's it. I don't need any pieces supposedly touched by the Holy Father. In the current issue of MünzenRevue there is a one-page ad full of Benedict XVI coins, mostly "from" Somalia. Nah, thanks ...

Christian

English is my third language and I am allways amazed how many young people do  not write or understand english any more

Sign of future to come ? ;)

You mean they are all learning Mandarin instead? I'm impressed. :ninja:

Well, in quite a few parts of Europe you won't get a qualified job if you speak only one language. Of course, if one can live a (good) life without having to deal with English, French, Spanish, etc., the incentive to learn will be minimal. As for this auction, yes, it's obvious that English is not the seller's first language :-) But if he thinks that this way a few more people will bid ...

Christian

By the way, in another forum, with participants from various European countries, there is a long discussion (>150 msgs) about what and how many languages the members speak. Of course monolingual people will hardly post there, so it is in no way representative. But some of those "lists" are quite amazing :-) Anyway, since the very beginning the title of the discussion has been "Whitch (sic) languages do you know?" :ninja:

Christian

You mean they are all learning Mandarin instead? I'm impressed. :ninja:

Well, in quite a few parts of Europe you won't get a qualified job if you speak only one language. Of course, if one can live a (good) life without having to deal with English, French, Spanish, etc., the incentive to learn will be minimal. As for this auction, yes, it's obvious that English is not the seller's first language :-) But if he thinks that this way a few more people will bid ...

Christian

Depends what parts of europe

I did not meat many Brittish that spoke more then just difficult to understand english ;)

The French still believe everybody should understand French ;)

I am an unlucky flemish belgian so for me dutch, french, english are a normal

requirement before a job interview and passable german and a bit of spanish is accepted as normal

I have an american friend that is a retired coindealer

He tried to buy some coins from a Spanish ebayer and both

tried to talk to each other in Babelfish

It was hilarious

So I stepped in with basic spanish and instead of replying in basic spanish

the guy replied in Babelfish ( at least he understood the question but the

answer was as hilarious )

Example ; kunt ge me zeggen of de munt gekrast is op de voorzijde

Real Translation ; Can you tell me weather the obverse of the coin is scratched

Babel Fish ;Ge me can say if the currency is scraped on the front :ninja:

By the way, in another forum, with participants from various European countries, there is a long discussion (>150 msgs) about what and how many languages the members speak. Of course monolingual people will hardly post there, so it is in no way representative. But some of those "lists" are quite amazing :-) Anyway, since the very beginning the title of the discussion has been "Whitch (sic) languages do you know?"  :ninja:

Christian

I get lots of comments for speaking three, but then I tell them in Europe I met a lot of people who know at least 4, especially in Belgium Netherlands area where you have to know Flemish, Dutch, French, German, and English.

The USA is becoming a bilingual nation, Spanish is becoming more commonplace. At work until recently I only used Spanish with co-workers, now recently I have to use it for my job. Many of the product packagings and signs are now in both English and Spanish.

I get lots of comments for speaking three

That is pretty darn good even by European "standards" :ninja:

Hope this does not sound arrogant - it's just that over here one does not have to drive very far to get to a different language area. So quite a few of us are "exposed" to other languages more often, be it on the job, on vacation or on television ... Yes, I can imagine that in the US Spanish has a more important role now - partly due to NAFTA regulations, partly to due immigration. And as long as the Spanish speaking immigrants do not choose to stay in native language "ghettos" but also learn English, this development is encouraging :-)

Christian

I can speak a hand full of languages.

in junior high, we get three languages, besides Dutch: German, English and French so you get in touch with all of them. Usualy after 2 years, you have to skip some subjects and decide in what subjest you wil do your exams and there has to be at least Dutch and one foreign language. I had two foreign languages: English and German. I didn't pick French because it didn't fit in withthe more technical subject I was after. But, I've been so many times in France (24 or 25 times) that I can speak that language pretty well too.

Then we have local language in the north of the Netherlnads, Frysian, which I speak too. And I can speak Afrikaans, a little Spanish and a few words of Italian and Russian.

I use English all the day at work, in communicating with customers and suppliers and with some customers I deal in German.

For Dutch people, English is a very common language, as about 45 - 50% of all programs on TV are in english, with sub titles. Popular music, is in english. So english is fairly common.

OK, this is getting a bit :ninja:

rofl, well what ever makes them money if people are dumb enough to buy it.. I remember an auction a lil while back, some guy was selling jar's of celebrity air ;)

I have seen other auctions claiming this coin came from the pocket of so and so ect

crazy thing is lots of people actually buy this junk :ninja:

The USA is becoming a bilingual nation, Spanish is becoming more commonplace.  At work until recently I only used Spanish with co-workers, now recently I have to use it for my job.  Many of the product packagings and signs are now in both English and Spanish.

i think the bilingual (and now trilingual) packaging has more to do with NAFTA than anything else. the usa has been bilingual for quite some time. what the "second" language is varies from place to place, though ... here in california the second language is usually english while the first language is central american spanish, tagalog, vietnamese, or chinese ...

Archived