CoinPeople.com

Oldest Bar of silver! UPDATED

Kristofer

While looking around at some really neat Spanish reales that were from a sunken ship off of the coast of Florida, I stumbled upon the opportunity to tough the oldest bar of silver that I probably will ever touch again. here's the picture. I believe this is off of the Nuestra Senora de Atocha which sunk in 1622. Absolutely fantastic experience!

otomkl.jpg

2gxmkg2.jpg

Here's the story about the Atocha:

2q9xo5z.jpg

Here are a few pictures of the 80 oz Bar I saw also!

2hckohs.jpg

2vcyzgz.jpg

2hckohs.jpg

2mngmsx.jpg

COA for 80 oz Bar:

sxku3a.jpg

Another Large Silver Bar, but I'm not sure how large:

eq8tfp.jpg

And here are a few gold bars:

1zbe8hg.jpg

Is there some kind of writing on it?

Yes I believe they were Spanish Tax stamps. I could be incorrect but that is what I remember. I will have to look at some more photos. I'm sure I took more of it from different angles. I also got a picture of an 80 oz bar too!

I don't think I'll ever forget it. My trip to St. Augustine really sparked a far greater love for the historic significance of our hobby.

That is absolutely cool. Very exciting to see and touch something so old.

I have seen and handled 100 ounce bars of silver but never anything that old.

Cool photo, thanks for posting it. Nice watch too! :ninja:

I've added a bunch more photos and information for anyone who might be interested. Cheers :ninja:

-Kristofer

Nice photos and a very interesting visit. St. Augustine is a wonderful city. There are many old sites to visit and the atmosphere is superb. Flagler college is in the heart of downtown St. Augustine and always an interesting spot.

There's also a nice museum in Key West dedicated to Treasure Hunting. Mel Fisher started it. Lots of treasure from shipwrecks there.

those 80 oz bars are available in the gift shop.... kidding...

while the treasure is neat to look at... there is a lot of shady dealings that go along with that particular treasure... pieces people bought as shipwreck pieces for 50 times more then they were worth because of the provenance to later learn that they were not... things like that... for me it taints the whole experience.

those 80 oz bars are available in the gift shop.... kidding...

while the treasure is neat to look at... there is a lot of shady dealings that go along with that particular treasure... pieces people bought as shipwreck pieces for 50 times more then they were worth because of the provenance to later learn that they were not... things like that... for me it taints the whole experience.

It certainly does! I read about that. I believe the whole gimmick was that they would mint their own replicas out of these larger bars but forget to mention the replica part! That's awful. In fact, the Man who discovered the Atocha, Mel Fisher, I believe was found guilty of counterfeiting because of the lack of clarity in these replica coins. I read up on this stuff before I got there and found one general store over near the old jail that was selling these replicas but they absolutely did not make it clear at all that these were replica coins. I of course went to a reputable dealer and purchased a replica coin produced from the silver bars from the atocha for a replica coin price :ninja:. I feel bad for all of the people who have been duped. Great history nonetheless!

And nightwing, you're quite welcome ;)

Very cool, thanks for sharing with us.

I have to agree with Matt on the whole tainted feeling from the Fisher wrecks, mainly because I see dozens of people a week with 1/4 size reale coinage set in gold plated silver earrings and they all claim they are real. The coins are all exactly the same, and the size of the coin never seems to match the coin is was modelled after (a 1/2 to 8 reale). I've only ever personally seen maybe a half dozen real examples from Fishers hoards and they were grossly overpriced anyway. I have an 8 reale from the Maravilla shipwreck from around the same time and I paid barely a 10th of a Fisher coin of the same type. I suppose it's brand loyalty of sorts, right? Haha.

Very cool, thanks for sharing with us.

I have to agree with Matt on the whole tainted feeling from the Fisher wrecks, mainly because I see dozens of people a week with 1/4 size reale coinage set in gold plated silver earrings and they all claim they are real. The coins are all exactly the same, and the size of the coin never seems to match the coin is was modelled after (a 1/2 to 8 reale). I've only ever personally seen maybe a half dozen real examples from Fishers hoards and they were grossly overpriced anyway. I have an 8 reale from the Maravilla shipwreck from around the same time and I paid barely a 10th of a Fisher coin of the same type. I suppose it's brand loyalty of sorts, right? Haha.

Yeah, Fisher did a good job branding the coins! I will love it when I get a genuine Reale but until then my replica will have to suffice. I love reading about shipwrecked coins! I'll have to read up on the Maravilla. I think I've heard of it before but the stories are great time and time again!

Yeah, Fisher did a good job branding the coins! I will love it when I get a genuine Reale but until then my replica will have to suffice. I love reading about shipwrecked coins! I'll have to read up on the Maravilla. I think I've heard of it before but the stories are great time and time again!

I do admit the replicas are interesting as a replica. I enjoy the early counterfeits as well, but nothing beats an original. Most of the shipwrecked 8 reales on ebay should be viewed with scepticism, many of them are counterfeits, well crafted at that. The best thing to do is purchase from a known dealer or a better know auction house. It is also better to purchase one with a traceable certificate number from the archiological site. You'll have to let us know when you get one; I have several guides on Spanish colonials and could probably figure out the assayer/mint/etc if it isn't already attributed.

I do admit the replicas are interesting as a replica. I enjoy the early counterfeits as well, but nothing beats an original. Most of the shipwrecked 8 reales on ebay should be viewed with scepticism, many of them are counterfeits, well crafted at that. The best thing to do is purchase from a known dealer or a better know auction house. It is also better to purchase one with a traceable certificate number from the archiological site. You'll have to let us know when you get one; I have several guides on Spanish colonials and could probably figure out the assayer/mint/etc if it isn't already attributed.

Oh excellent. Then when I'm seriously looking I will most certainly consult you sir. I just love these really old coins. I think it's amazing to be able to hold items that are 400+ years old.

The last photo with the four cigar sized gold bars is most impressive... :ninja:

Yeah, I wished I could have had them. The museum wasn't feeling charitable though!

I was in Key West shortly after Fisher found the Atocha during the couple of years that he fought ownership with the State of Florida. He had rented an old wood house in downtown Key West and had the treasure displayed. The gold, emeralds and other hyper value items were in cases but the run of the mill stuff like 80 pound silver bars were just stacked everywhere.

I was in Key West shortly after Fisher found the Atocha during the couple of years that he fought ownership with the State of Florida. He had rented an old wood house in downtown Key West and had the treasure displayed. The gold, emeralds and other hyper value items were in cases but the run of the mill stuff like 80 pound silver bars were just stacked everywhere.

So how many of them did you help to take off their hands? :ninja:;);)

Archived