CoinPeople.com

CPeeps 2009 Project

Art

Year ago half dollars were a staple of Las Vegas. Slots used the halfs and dollar coins. Think about it, high amount and no charges for coining. You can find lots of halfs and dollars where the edges are worn flat and smooth. That's from slot machine usage.

Year ago half dollars were a staple of Las Vegas. Slots used the halfs and dollar coins. Think about it, high amount and no charges for coining. You can find lots of halfs and dollars where the edges are worn flat and smooth. That's from slot machine usage.

Do you mean "years" ago, because I was in Vegas in 2001 and I only recall seeing tokens.

Do you mean "years" ago, because I was in Vegas in 2001 and I only recall seeing tokens.

OT WARNING: I love buying coins at coin dealers because they always give the neatest change! My wife bought me a silver bar a couple of weeks ago and got a $2.00 bill back in her change. She was pretty happy about it. I love getting halves back in change! Keep up the good work fellas! I want to see these coins pumping! Lol, I'd like to participate except I'm never home when the bank is open :ninja:

Way back in the 70's & 80's. Last Vegas trip fir me was '99. Only a few small places were using dollars & halfs. I still have gold plated Kennedys and Ikes that I won in slot macines.

OT WARNING: I love buying coins at coin dealers because they always give the neatest change! My wife bought me a silver bar a couple of weeks ago and got a $2.00 bill back in her change. She was pretty happy about it. I love getting halves back in change! Keep up the good work fellas! I want to see these coins pumping! Lol, I'd like to participate except I'm never home when the bank is open :ninja:

I know there is a following that tries to put the $2 bill back into circulation. I wonder if anyone on this site does that?

Way back in the 70's & 80's. Last Vegas trip fir me was '99. Only a few small places were using dollars & halfs. I still have gold plated Kennedys and Ikes that I won in slot macines.

Gold plated? Really? Wow, I never heard of that. I just thought they used the Ikes and halves as is.

I know there is a following that tries to put the $2 bill back into circulation. I wonder if anyone on this site does that?

Gold plated? Really? Wow, I never heard of that. I just thought they used the Ikes and halves as is.

Special glitzy machines with lower than normal payouts but great souveneigrs

I didn't buy anything Tuesday, as I usually don't spend much during the week, but someone else must have. Like, Art??? C'mon, what were the final totals the 13th?

(As I said I didn't spend any money Tuesday, but I did finally use a couple of half dollars for a tip Sunday evening).

I only paid for my dry cleaning yesterday, and I didn't have $35 in halves with me, but today I paid for mailing a package at the post office and used a half and the clerk was so excited! She said anytime I have these she'd take all I had, I said, it's only 50 cents, but she said, I know but they are so fun to save!

Notthing for me on Tuesday. Slept a lot of the day. I did spend about 26 in halfs this week and used 3 pres dollars for a tip.

• 4 weeks later...

Don't forget that this Tuesday 10Feb is our spend dollar and half dollar project day. I'm ready. Have both dollars and half.

I was going to do something like that and as often as possible. I've been using halves for years. Now most banks around me will no longer accept them, nor give them out. And if some come in they ship out to somewhere. I've tried the baby dollar stuff. NO MORE. At one restaurant I left some for a tip. The waitress said loudly "Sir, you left some of your kids play money on the table". Some stores I've held up the lines when a cashier has to see if those are real and acceptable. On commuter trains conductors have told me "Do you see a place in my coin changer for those dumb things?"

NO, I've had it with those baby dollars. I will not look for them, accept them, spend them.

Carl,,

Doesn't sound good. I get the opposite reaction when I use dollars and halfs for tips. I've had quite a few waitresses thank me for them and explain that they have kids who collect them etc. Had a college age waitress the other night. She said she takes all the dollar and half dollar coins and outs them in a big jar. That's her new car fund.

Carl,,

Doesn't sound good. I get the opposite reaction when I use dollars and halfs for tips. I've had quite a few waitresses thank me for them and explain that they have kids who collect them etc. Had a college age waitress the other night. She said she takes all the dollar and half dollar coins and outs them in a big jar. That's her new car fund.

They're probably all the coins she got from you! :ninja:

Seriously, I've never gotten a negative reaction from anyone either after receiving the $1 coins or halves. Although, I mainly spend my $1 coins at my grocery stores self checkout lanes and at gas stations. I leave a few now and again for tips like tonight.

I only have one $1 coin left for spending, but quite a few halves left. I don't usually spend much money during the week, but I may be able to use a couple halves on Tuesday. Wednesday, I want to hear counts from everyone of how many were sent into circulation the day before!

I'm in for the night now. Quick review. Lottery tickets - $3.00 in halfs -- no reaction from cashier. Dollar store - .50 one half - no reaction. Jiffy store - $4.00 in halfs -- no reaction. Didn't spend any dollar coins today.

At a convenience store, I used 5 GW dollars that I pried out of a roll. "Oh, I didn't know those came in rolls!" the cashier said. I asked if she get many dollar coins. "Yes, but not new and shiny like yours!"

I used 1 Sac, 2 GW dollars, and 3 halfs at the dvd rental store. The cashier started talking about the dvd I was renting, and didn't register any surprise over the coins. "I'm using up an odd variety of coins," I said. "That's okay - I'll probably buy them back later," he said. I wanted to ask him if he collected coins, but a line had formed behind me. I'll have to go back to satisfy my nosiness.

I also went to the local coin shop to buy a few small supplies for a whopping 2 GW dollars, but I only used them because I forgot to bring any other cash with me. I asked if he had any Sacs or halfs to trade. He didn't.

I figured out a convenient way Tuesday to get a roll of Thomas Jefferson $1 coins from a bank at a grocery store I was shopping at. Like marianne I opened the roll in the store, but not at the register. I spent 4 coins there. The cashier was a teenager and he stopped and examined everyone. Flipped it over and appeared to take interest in what the coins said. I gave a little smile, but didn't say anything. I didn't want to make him feel like I was rushing him or annoyed.

Then to the gas station where I spent 2 along with my bills. No reaction what-so-ever, or at least none that I waited around for.

Then later in the evening I used for to pay and tip the waitress at the bar I was at. She too examined the coins, but asked what they were. I explained to her that they are $1 coins and you can get them from any bank, but you just have to ask.

So in all that was 10 coins, but that left me with the perfect amount left for today. :ninja:

• 2 weeks later...

Spent several sacs and halves at a McD's. The cashier flipped each one over to make sure they were US coins, then exclaimed to the other cashier "Someone just made a $7 purchase, all in coins!"

Also used sacs or halves at two other places, no reaction.

Archived