CoinPeople.com

CPeeps 2009 Project

Art

I would like to propose a CoinPeople project for 2009. It would be more for those in the US or visiting the US. Please consider signing up and then posting your status monthly.

I suggest that on the second Tuesday of every month, every CPeep uses dollar coins and half dollar coins to pay for as many fo their purchases as possible. This means that you'll have to stock up before hand. After you've done your bit, post and let us know how it went. Come on gang it's only twelve times during the whole year.

If you're in signup below.

Art, this is what I've been trying to get people to do with my "Tell us how you just spent your $1 US coins and how people reacted" topic. You're just being a little more direct! :ninja:

I'll do my best to participate, but I typically don't spend much during the week and now that I got gift cards to won of my eatery places, that I would normally go to on certain Tuesdays, I wont need to spend $1 coins there for awhile there. Oh well, I guess with the way the economy is I may have to get some junk and spend some $1 coins and those halves I have sitting around for almost a year. ;)

Those halves I from the early 70's are in pretty nice shape, you can tell they've probably seen very few, if any vending machines.

It's a good video. There are still a lot of banks here that don't have the dollar coins and won't order them for you unless you want a box which is like $500.00. Half dollars -- forget about it. I don't think any of the banks order them anymore. I used to get them because a friend of mine was the vault teller at a local bank and he'd order them mostly for the Coin Club members to come in and get.

Then how are you going to spend half dollars on January 13th?

I have a few sources for halfs. One of the tellers at a local bank usually has some -- maybe only 5 or 6, but it's better than nothing. Or I could dig out some of mine that are lying around from prior roll searches. I usually have a few dollars worth.

I don't usually have any trouble getting all the halfs I want if I'm in Gainesville. A bank that I've used there always seems to have plenty. I think they order them from the Fed.

Dollars haven't been much of a problem lately. For a while around the middle of the year, nobody had any and they wouldn't order them. I think there are some folks locally ordering from the Mint and looking for errors then dumping the rest.

Dollars haven't been much of a problem lately. For a while around the middle of the year, nobody had any and they wouldn't order them. I think there are some folks locally ordering from the Mint and looking for errors then dumping the rest.

Perhaps looking for decent examples to collect and dumping the rest. Still that's got to be a lot if the minimum is $250 a Prez.

Perhaps looking for decent examples to collect and dumping the rest. Still that's got to be a lot if the minimum is $250 a Prez.

I'm expecting we'll see a big hit on dollars locally when the new Indian dollars become available next week. Folks in the Coin Clubs around here won't have much problem ordering $500 worth just to get a few rolls and then to search for errors.

I'm in. This is a great way to get rid of all those pesky Walking Liberties.

Walking Liberties can be sent via FedEx directly to me. I'll assure that they get a good home.

I'm expecting we'll see a big hit on dollars locally when the new Indian dollars become available next week. Folks in the Coin Clubs around here won't have much problem ordering $500 worth just to get a few rolls and then to search for errors.

Yes, looking forward to a new dollar coin in '09!

I hope we can get people who are not members of this board to join in on the fun and maybe encourage some to start posting!

I've got a stack for the 13th.

10.50 in Kennedy Halfs

6.00 in small dollar coins (mixed Presidents, SBAs)

22.00 really beautiful Ikes.

Now I just have to decide what to buy. I very seldom buy anything. But I'll work it out.

I've got a stack for the 13th.

10.50 in Kennedy Halfs

6.00 in small dollar coins (mixed Presidents, SBAs)

22.00 really beautiful Ikes.

Now I just have to decide what to buy. I very seldom buy anything. But I'll work it out.

Are you going to spend those all on the 13th, Art?

Are you going to spend those all on the 13th, Art?

I'd guess a good chunk of them. Probably just go out to breakfast or some such thing. That'll take care of a good part. I want to spread them around a bit though, so I won't spend them all in one place. That's counterproductive. They'd just get bagged and off to the bank right away.

I'm supposed to stop at the big bank that I use on Monday and pickup some halfs. If I get too many, I won't even try to spend them on the 13th. There's always next month.

So, I've cranked up a little early. Got $100 in halfs the other day. Not a single keeper in the group. Yesterday --- pizza spent 8.50 in half dollars. No one noticed.

Tonight --- spent 4.50 in halfs in the pizza place -- no notice. Spent 4.50 in halfs at Zaxbies. The girl on the window, younger than my tshirt, looked the mover carefully but didn't say anything.

I've got about a roll of halves that I've had since the spring. I need to spend those to get more. It's funny how good of shape these coins are in since they really weren't used much. Most of the coins I have sitting are from the early 70's. Was there an abundance of halves then? Were they still very common and used in machines back then?

Archived