CoinPeople.com

New York Sale, Jan. 2009

bobh

Has anyone received Dmitry Markov's catalog yet? Until now, it was always printed in Germany, I believe ... even so, it always appeared very late.

Now it seems that everything is being prepared in the USA, and I am worried that I won't receive it in time (I live in Switzerland). Also, I won't be able to view the coins in person anymore because Dr. Voegtli in Basel won't have them.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has anyone received Dmitry Markov's catalog yet? Until now, it was always printed in Germany, I believe ... even so, it always appeared very late.

Now it seems that everything is being prepared in the USA, and I am worried that I won't receive it in time (I live in Switzerland). Also, I won't be able to view the coins in person anymore because Dr. Voegtli in Basel won't have them.

I received a catalog for auction XX - Greek, Roman...

I think it came from M & M GmbH (Germany)

I went to the coin show in Boston 2+ weeks ago, and Dimitry Markov always has a table.

He was not there this year :ninja: .

I spoke with M&M, his NY Sale partner, who told me Dimitrry was not in Boston because he was at home busy working on the catalog, and was a bit behind this year. The coins were done, but he was still working thru the Medals. The Ancient component was complete and off to the printer at that time, but not the coins and medals. I think i recall that the coins and medals were then off to Germany for photography and printing, so Should be any day now, I would think.

I went to the coin show in Boston 2+ weeks ago, and Dimitry Markov always has a table.

He was not there this year :ninja: .

I spoke with M&M, his NY Sale partner, who told me Dimitrry was not in Boston because he was at home busy working on the catalog, and was a bit behind this year. The coins were done, but he was still working thru the Medals. The Ancient component was complete and off to the printer at that time, but not the coins and medals. I think i recall that the coins and medals were then off to Germany for photography and printing, so Should be any day now, I would think.

Thanks Josh. Hopefully all of this delay means a big Russian section! ;)

"Alexander" auction in Moscow will have a copper auction in January.

RND/Russian Numismatics House/ in Moscow will have specialized Copper Sale/text in Russian/

Link: www.rusnumismat.ru

Very average content IMHO.

Without contradicting the above statement, because I agree with it for the most part... 3 or 4 VERY!!! interesting coins and a few very interesting coins and medals. Jefimok on lowenthaler (but it requires a closer look), 1726 plate, 1756 1 r. pattern, 1760 ruble in very nice condition, iron 2 kop 1915, 1849 spm pattern set. Along with that a few proofs and scarce dates.

Without contradicting the above statement, because I agree with it for the most part... 3 or 4 VERY!!! interesting coins and a few very interesting coins and medals. Jefimok on lowenthaler (but it requires a closer look), 1726 plate, 1756 1 r. pattern, 1760 ruble in very nice condition, iron 2 kop 1915, 1849 spm pattern set. Along with that a few proofs and scarce dates.

Any one of which could be a collector's prize...

I have never see 2 kopecks of 1915 in iron :ninja:

This is the exact same one. Looks like it never went back to Russia.

Hi Steve! indeed.. the buyer was not paying and i offered to cancel since he was obviously trying to resell and he was making the mistake of going to usual suspects.. so i helped put him out of his misery.. in any case its the iron 2 kopecks i am surprised you do not make the link!! there are more .. 61 guesses.. i am now going to collect italian naples & sicily .. in stead !! feed my kids and wife.. and then maybe collect russian if i become a millionaire..! i do feel an emptiness as 20 years collecting russian is like a long long marriage.. that ended up well..(you dont lose the $$$!)

Regards

PS I still have my medal collection of 60+ pieces will consider exchanging for italian coins if anyone interested... or has any ideas...

Hi Steve! indeed.. the buyer was not paying and i offered to cancel since he was obviously trying to resell and he was making the mistake of going to usual suspects.. so i helped put him out of his misery.. in any case its the iron 2 kopecks i am surprised you do not make the link!! there are more .. 61 guesses.. i am now going to collect italian naples & sicily .. in stead !! feed my kids and wife.. and then maybe collect russian if i become a millionaire..! i do feel an emptiness as 20 years collecting russian is like a long long marriage.. that ended up well..(you dont lose the $$$!)

Regards

PS I still have my medal collection of 60+ pieces will consider exchanging for italian coins if anyone interested... or has any ideas...

Hi Konstantinos! Here's to your $million so I can see you again in Russian coins :ninja: Good luck with the sale.

Best regards, as always

Steve

Interesting note on 1756 pattern:

Here is the description of the 1756 pattern in the catalog:

PATTERN Rouble 1756. 1.66 gm. GOLD. Fr 120, Bit 559 (R4), Diakov 387 (R4), Petrov (300 Rubl.), Sev 200 (RRRR), Uzd 4079 (RRR). Of the greatest rarity and importance

Choice extremely fine

Ex Grand Duke George Mikhailovich Collection sale, Hess, Luzern, October 25, 1939, lot # 172.Ex Grand Duke George Mikhailovich Collection sale, Christie’s July 3, 1950, lot # 106.Ex Schweizerischer Bankverein ‘Leonid Sodermann Collection Sale’, Basel, February 4, 1977, lot 128.

Did not sit right with me, for some reason, so I decided to check Soderman: Lot 128 -- Gold-Rubel 1756, Probe. Anlich wie vorher. Novodel. Sev. 201 var. Fr. 85. Sehr selten. Vorzuglich.

While the same coin is sold as original in GM sale, it would be prudent to mention something about the NOVODEL label in Soderman sale.

So, I decided to play detective and see what I can dig up (I am very ill, at home, and bored (obviously)):

Severin lists it under #201 (not 200) as "restrike" of pattern with a dot at the end of the legend. Bitkin, on the other hand, lists it as an original with a plain edge! Looks like an obvious error to me, for I do not know of any patterns of the period with a plain edge. Although, what do I know about gold coins? I wonder where the info. is coming from... Looks like from Uzdenikov, who, however, did not list any plain edge originals or novodels, but listed this type as an original with edge 6. He also did not list any determinative signs allowing us to separate a novodel from an original striking. Looks like Bitkin simply copied the info from Uzdenikov without much change, except for the plain edge... Where does the plain edge come from? Aha, from Petrov 2nd edition, who lists this coin as 1756 rouble with eagle on clouds with a plain edge and 2 varieties. Funny thing is, the variety pictured under #845 is the one Severin lists as original with feathers on left (smaller) wing and without the dot at the end of the legend. Moreover, the third edition does not mention 2 varieties and only sticks with the Severin coin as the only original. Finally Illin & Tolstoy think that the Original has no dot at the end of the legend and novodel does. I guess, That was the popular view at the time... You know, Petrov + Illin + Tolstoy vs. GM (who really missed a lot in his corpus when it comes to original vs. novodel -- an obvious example is his listing of 1830 spb novodels as originals). :ninja:

Some Other Auctions:

Brand only had one, which was listed as original and is the Severin 200 variant. Duplicates sold 2. Severin 200 with edge 6 was sold as Novodel. the other was a strike of a coin similar to Severin 201 but in silver. Remnants of Synandino collection had 2. One is Severin 200 sold as original, the other was listed as from GM collection (GM coll. had 3) coin listed as Sev 200 variant. Hard to tell due to crappy illustration. Baronova had only Severin 200 listed as original. Renaissance sold Severin 200 as an original. Did I miss any other majors that had it?

What do you think about the lot 1077? Novodel or Pattern? Do you think lot description is fair?

That's a long post. You MUST be bored. :ninja: I heard this same discussion in the past. I believe the present school of tought is that it is an original.

On the subject of edges - I recently was looking at Elizabeth coronation jetons and interestingly enough the originals are also with plain edge.

Archived