CoinPeople.com

Nice 2005 Commem from RCM

The coin looks beautiful. Is it my misperception or is it rather difficult and pricey to keep up with the RCM's offerings?

:ninja:

The coin looks beautiful. Is it my misperception or is it rather difficult and pricey to keep up with the RCM's offerings?

:ninja:

Yep. I would love to continue with their silver offerings, but they cost more than the US silver commems. Odd, very odd.

Yep.  I would love to continue with their silver offerings, but they cost more than the US silver commems.  Odd, very odd.

RCM - 2005 "Three-Masted Ship" commem. $20.00

31.39g, .9999 SILVER

mintage 20,000

US$53.34

USM - 2005 "Chief Justice John Marshall" commem. $1.00

26.73g, .900 SILVER

mintage 400,000

US$35.00

larger, heavier coin, higher silver content, and much lower mintage. I would think the RCM material would be a better deal in the long run than the USM material.

31.39g, .9999 SILVER

mintage 20,000

US$53.34

26.73g, .900 SILVER

mintage 400,000

US$35.00

larger, heavier coin, higher silver content, and much lower mintage.  I would think the RCM material would be a better deal in the long run than the USM material.

The RCM floods the market with nice commemoratives, if they limited their offering I think they would be a better long term collectible. But if I look in past issues surely I will find something similar they issued two to three years ago.

I have bought very specific items from the RCM, notably the Tulip issues, but as gifts, and not for me.

31.39g, .9999 SILVER

mintage 20,000

US$53.34

26.73g, .900 SILVER

mintage 400,000

US$35.00

larger, heavier coin, higher silver content, and much lower mintage.  I would think the RCM material would be a better deal in the long run than the USM material.

Ok, I see your point there, but I don't believe that it's a better deal with the amount of commems that Canada releases. With the US doing only 2 a year they generally go up in collector value over the years. Even some of the modern ones are well up over $100 nowadays.

(Besides, I'm trying to convince myself not to buy it. :ninja:)

(Besides, I'm trying to convince myself not to buy it.  :ninja:)

Okay, I have to cry "foul" here!

It is directly because of your two threads "do you collect U.S. commemoratives" and the equally famous "do you collect world commemoratives" that I have bought 3 older commems and currently looking for a 1934 Texas and just ordered the John Marshall commem from the mint.

A loss of 25 post counts and 15 minutes in the penalty box!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Tammy's right (yes dear, you're right again :ninja: ). I'll be picking the coin up soon, issue price $69.95 ish plus 15% tax; I normally don't bother with mint material, but this coin is just plain georgeous, especially when you look at the hologram under the 10x loupe. A lot more beautiful than pictured.