CoinPeople.com

Toned Coins

halfdollar

I love toned coins and really enjoyed seeing those listed. Was sort of turned off on toned coins because some I had obtained that I thought were really nice toned coins turned out to be AT (artifically toned) coins. However, have since been collecting toned Franklin half dollars in slabs and this way there is no question. Louie

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great eagle. They seem to tend toward this type of beautiful toning. I wonder if it's something in the minting process.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here's proof that it is still possible to pick up something really nice on eBay. From the seller's pictures, one could see that the coin had this toning, but the pictures gave no indication that it was this nice. I just bought it on an impulse, and I'm glad I did! I must own half a dozen of these, all AU or lower-grade UNC, but this one is surely the nicest one I have ever seen. For me, this is the perfect amount of toning. Plenty of mint luster remains, and just a little crescent toning around the edges.

Is this drool material, or what? :ninja:

USA_50c_Commem_Columbian_Expo_1893_obv.thumb.jpgUSA_50c_Commem_Columbian_Expo_1893_rev.thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
So guys let me in on how you make these tone? I mean, the first dollars have beautiful toning and they just aren't that old. You have a technique to make these tone faster? Let me in on it... :ninja:

You can either put a small torch flame to them, or put it under hot running water. I found this out by accident.

• 1 month later...

As you can tell from some of my other coins, I certainly do love toning if it is attractive. However, how many of you would honestly prefer to have the "BEFORE" rather than the "AFTER" in your collection?

BEFORE:

USA_50_cents_Texas_Commem_1935_before_obv.thumb.jpgUSA_50_cents_Texas_Commem_1935_before_rev.thumb.jpg

AFTER:

USA_50_cents_Texas_Commem_1935_obv.thumb.jpgUSA_50_cents_Texas_Commem_1935_rev.thumb.jpg

Dipping can be beneficial in certain cases. I believe this was one of them. Maybe we could take a poll? (Except I'm not sure how to set it up... :ninja: )

• 6 months later...